Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Christmas Whistles and Dulcimer Kids
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:38 pm 

Here are a few pictures of my "Kids For Christ" Whistle and Dulcimer group. I thought you all might enjoy seeing them. They played Special Music this past Sunday. The songs they played were; "Silent Night" on their whistles, and then "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Away In A Manger" on their Dulcimers.

They are playing Black and Silver Clark Meg's and their dulcimers are the same kind of dulcimer that Jim has. :) My pastor's son took the pictures for me from the balcony except for the group picture with the Christmas tree.

Kathy :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:07 am 

Excellent!

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:16 am 

Aw, what a wonderful ministry you have.
How do you keep the dulcimers from sliding around on the table?
Do you have those gripper liners under them?

Oh, and I see you have those fold up dulcimer music stands.

Hmmmm.... would that happen to be made by the same lady who made mine I wonder? Dern, I can't bring a name up, her husband plays whistle and bohdran.... grr....what is his name. They go from festival to festival with their RV.... She is makes dulcimer gig bags as well. Does it have a thistle embroidered on it?????

Please ease my mental block and help me remember these wonderful folks name!!!

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:22 am 

That is great Kathy. You have a fine gift to teach music to youth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Wowee, what fun! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:45 am 

here....perhps you could get one of your 'kids' to teach Jim the Dulcimer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:04 pm 

Laura wrote:
Please ease my mental block and help me remember these wonderful folks name!!!

Lee and Doug Felt. :) I had to dig deep for that one. Doug wrote a song for his wife Lee called "Lee's Waltz". He has a CD and a book that has the song tabbed out. I would love to record it and post it for you all, but I am not sure if there would be a copyright problem or not? It's so pretty and everyone that hears it thinks it sounds like a hymn they know, but nobody has figured out what hymn it sounds like. :?

The stand in front of the little girl is mine and it is made by Doug and Lee they call their business Thistledew Acres I think. They call Lee the Bag Lady I think. :lol: The one the boy is using is his, My friend Judy that plays in my Trio makes them for $25 for our club members and 3 of my kids have them. The reason the kids play on tables is because most kids don't have a big enough lap to keep the butt end of the dulcimer from flying up and hitting them on the head when they press on the frets. :lol: We use a strip of gripper liner to keep them in place on the tables. You can use that on your knees too if you don't have a strap. I had enough kids this time that we had to have 2 of them use chairs.

I have been having alot of fun working with these kids. Sometimes they can be a little onry, but for the most part they are respectful and can listen pretty well. I was so surprised on Saturday when we had their rehearsal The dulcimers weren't too much together and we had to work at keeping together, but when they pulled out the whistles and started playing Silent Night my jaw dropped because they did so well. My pastor was there and he laughed at the expression on my face. The only practice they had was the first Sunday evening in November and then day before they played.

When I first started this, I didn't think of it as a ministry, I just wanted to share how much fun the dulcimer is, but it has turned into a ministry. I get the kids the first Sunday evening of each month, unless there is something else musical that is going on. We have started calling it music Sunday. Two of the kids, just started coming to church because they wanted to play dulcimer. Now, they and their mom and dad are regular members and she told me that the reason they decided to make our church theirs was because of the dulcimers. The Mom grew up in our church and had left, and now they have come home.

I am going to take the kids to our local nursing home in a couple of months after I teach them some more songs. I think that the people there would really enjoy it. They have most of the easy songs from Mark's site learned so with the dulcimers and whistles. I think they could do a half hour program.

Les wrote:
here....perhps you could get one of your 'kids' to teach Jim the Dulcimer Les

Les, I think you have a good idea there. I wonder how much it would cost to ship a kid down to Jim. :lol: I'll send him Trevor. His is a wiz on the dulcimer, He can play a pretty wicked version of "Bile Dem Cabbage down" but he wouldn't be much help to Jim with the whistles. He is the only one who didn't want to play whistle that day. He's a cutie. He's the one in the group photo with his dulcimer down and he's making the Vulcan sign. I think he is a Trekie. ;)

Kathy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:45 pm 

I don't know .. I am not a real fast learner these days and some kids don't have a lot of patience with us old guys!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 pm 

Revles wrote:
here....perhps you could get one of your 'kids' to teach Jim the Dulcimer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Les

Come'on, let the kids grow old doing something else. ;)

Hold back Micheal, I got this one. :lol:

Last edited by Tommy on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 pm 

I must be slow or thick...but up until Jim said he was getting a 'dulcimer' I had never seen one in my life before...now I see them everywhere I look...and loads in the photo of course....do you think it is a sign :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have got a really big cellar :!: :!: :!:
Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 pm 

Revles wrote:
I must be slow or thick...but up until Jim said he was getting a 'dulcimer' I had never seen one in my life before...now I see them everywhere I look...and loads in the photo of course....do you think it is a sign :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have got a really big cellar :!: :!: :!:
Les

You Know, there's no way that I just let this one go by! :P

Yes! Les, you NEED a dulcimer or even 2, You will need one to share when people come to visit you. Then you might really need 3 because when your son and his wife come to visit, They are both gonna want one! :laughing:

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:47 pm 

It's fun to see all those kids whistling! And all those dulcimers, did they have to buy them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:16 am 

Thank you Kathy for easing my mental block.

Even this morning the names escaped me.

They are delightful folk. :oops: embarrassing that the names slipped me.
I did not attend last falls Harmony Harvest Dulcimer Festival, they always attend that one. So, how quickly the mind goes. I will blame it on the business of the season.

Oh and for that matter (as she pauses from writing to check her email address book) I have their email address... Grrrr...
I just sent them an email inviting them here.

Ya you have got to have more than one dulcimer.

It is like a whistle, play em in more than one key.

Must have a family of dulcimers

A Dulcimet (baby dulcimer)

A Baritone (daddy dulcimer)

And regular. (mommy duclimer)

OMGoodness, you could even get a courting dulcimer and then a bass dulcimer. Don't have those.

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:22 am 
Site Admin

What great pictures! I wish I could hear a sound slip! :sunny:

Dana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:31 am 

kelly wrote:
It's fun to see all those kids whistling! And all those dulcimers, did they have to buy them?

Kelly,

A few of the parents bought their kids dulcimers for Christmas and birthdays last year. My pastor got his dulicmer 2 Christmas' ago and his wife got hers for her birthday this summer so their 2 kids use their dulcimers but the rest of the dulcimers were bought with money that people in the church gave to me. I was given the money and told not to tell where it came from but it was from about 5 different people. I think that I was given enough money to buy 7 dulcimers. Earlier, I had bought 2 student dulcimers to keep myself to use as loaners for my kids and for my club that I started. Then Dave donated me another Student dulcimer to keep as a loaner after I had to use my custom cross dulcimer he had built me as a loaner for the kids because I didn't have enough for all my kids to play one evening and one of them accidently pressed their palm through the Cross sound hole and I asked Dave if he could fix it and he had to take the whole top off of it and almost rebuild it.
When he returned that dulcimer to me last month, He wouldn't let me pay him for the repairs. It's even more beautiful now than it was before. By the way, the dulcimers that were donated were presented to the kids as their own dulcimer. The only thing is, that there is only one dulcimer given per family so I have to loan a second or 3rd dulcimer to the families with more than one child. right now, the one family has one of the loaners because their Grandma has brain cancer and they want to take the dulcimers to play for her when they go visit her for Christmas. They are the 2 boys in the white shirts in the picture. Their dad is the band director at our highschool.

Laura wrote:
I did not attend last falls Harmony Harvest Dulcimer Festival, they always attend that one.

Ah Man!!! I would love to attend that one! Doug and Lee are great people. I met them at the Chestnut Ridge Dulcimer festival. It's in Greensburg PA at the UP college and its really affordable. $145 for the whole weekend, dorm rooms, food, workshops, and 2 concerts.

My friend has a bass dulcimer made by Dave. It has an awesome sound, but you can't just strum on it like you do a regular dulcimer. It gets too muddy sounding. I've seen and heard both bartones and dulcimet before, they have a neat sound. I actually got to play a courting dulcimer before, but I thought it was awkward. I think that was because I couldn't set it on my lap at the angle I would have liked to. Ain't this all just too much fun! :mrgreen:

Dana wrote:
What great pictures! I wish I could hear a sound slip!

Dana, I was thinking about that. We do tape the services, I will see if I can get one and even record to my computer from my tape player. I could post it to the Christmas Exchange. Let me see what I can do. Even if it's just snip its, it would be fun to share it with all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:50 am 

OK, now you guys really got my curiousity up!
What does a dulcimer sound like? I heard one quite a while ago, at a frontier festival, but it was a big one. It's been forever since I heard one of the small ones in the picture.

It's so neat that those people in the church were willing to donate. That's what's neat about Christians; when God gets his Spirit into a heart, money isn't that important anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:39 pm 

did someone mention a 'hammered dulcimer'....is that something you do to it when it plays the wrong note....seriously...do you strum it or hit it or what.....and does one use a plectrum....can you play chords or is it just melody lines.....Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:04 pm 

Revles wrote:
did someone mention a 'hammered dulcimer'....is that something you do to it when it plays the wrong note....seriously...do you strum it or hit it or what.....and does one use a plectrum....can you play chords or is it just melody lines.....Les.

Ok, can't help myself.

A hammered dulcimer is a dulcimer you play when you are hammered...lol

I just slay myself...

Seriously,

Hammer dulcimer is totally different critter.
I has a lot more strings, actually, Kathy's avitar has a hammer dulcimer on it. You play it with hammers. Not the hard ware kind ....

ouch... that would be bad.

The mountain dulcimer you can play with a pick or fingerstyle.

Kathy,

Harmony Harvest is a growing festival.
I would love it if you could check it out.
And, it is where I live as well!!!

I would make a special effort to go just to meet you.

Oh, ya, Judy... that would be a good one for you to check out as well.
It is always the 3rd weekend in September.

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:14 pm 

kelly wrote:
OK, now you guys really got my curiousity up!
What does a dulcimer sound like? .

If you listen to some of the clips you can hear what a mountain dulcimer sounds like and think that Kathy may have the only hammered clip. Their music is what got me interested ... if you listen to one of my clips you would soon lose interest!!! However ... I am improving ... not rapidly but steady.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:55 pm 

Kelly,
It was a great gift for the people to give these to the kids. I had to get up in front of the church to hand them out and I could hardly get anything said because of the tears. I always choke up when good stuff happens. I didn't get all of the money at once either so there was about 3 times when I handed them out.

Here is a YouTube of a very pretty Mountain Dulcimer version of BonnieDoone and Going Home you can see how she plays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bzSmr_0A6I She is finger picking. This is not me playing, just a great example of how a dulcimer can sound.

Now the other end of the Mountain dulcimer spectrum is this. David Schnaufer. http://youtube.com/watch?v=nKuXhblj-6A He just passed away a month or so ago and he was an awesome player. He will be missed by alot of people he was a wonderful dulcimer teacher. I never met him, but I do have one of his CD's.

There are some Hammered dulcimer Youtubes.
This guy posts over on Everythingdulcimer.com once in a while. http://youtube.com/watch?v=egLGPfkj1Gc I think this was his senior recital for college? I'm not positive about that though.

This is Dan Landrum playing. He plays Hammered Dulcimer for all of "Yanni's" concerts. You know the "new age music" pianist guy. Dan also posts occasionally on EverythingDulcimer.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jjx2JkfS3Ak

There are more examples of both instruments on YouTube. Have fun!

Laura,
:lol: you do almost have to be hammered to play one. :lol:

Les,
Here is a picture of my Hammered dulcimer. The hammers are made of wood and I have them sticking in the strings in this picture. There is also a music holder on the top of it in this picture.
Here are some of my mountian dulcimers. ;) I have DAD it's alot like WhOA only you crave dulcimers. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:04 pm 

Yeah but my WHOA doesn't cost as much as your DAD ... usually .. well once in a while .. ok .... so .. maybe it does!!! [-( :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:21 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Yeah but my WHOA doesn't cost as much as your DAD ... usually .. well once in a while .. ok .... so .. maybe it does!!! [-( :D

:lol: :laughing: 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:06 am 

Well, Kathy,

I have never tried playing the Hammer Dulcimer hammered.
I find it to be not a very easy instrument to play hammered or not.

I have one, like mentioned before, one of the Roses already plays HD, and she is very good at it. Not wishing to muddle it up.

I am more of a hands on person. Something about the hammers coming inbetween the contact of the strings.... and yikes, can't imagine what it would be like playing with bifocals on!!! The strings would become a blurr to me.

Not to be discouraging to those who are interested in a Hammer Dulcimer.
For those who can play it bravo...!!!

My Oh My Kathy, you have a bunch of MDs...
I just have 3. Did have 5 at one time.
You are making me feel bad.
No no no no no no no... not going there. Control!!!!! I don't need another one!

Although... a MD with inlaid Roses on it....

Don't forget, Rich Mullens played Hammer Dulicmer.

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:35 am 

Laura,
The hammered dulcimer is a different beast. :lol: I would never discourage anyone from trying one either, But, I do tell them that it can be a challenge to learn it. But then again, If I can learn how to play it, then anyone can. ;) It has such a wonderful calming sound and is just plain fun to play. I have progressive lens trifocals now and I don't seem to have any trouble playing, but then, I don't look at the strings, you have to learn to look at the markers on the bridge to Know where the strings are. Once you figure out the layout of the strings, then you have it made. People with a drumming background do really well on HD's.

:oops:
I have 2 more dulcimers that are not in that picture. Actually, 2 of those dulcimers in the picture are cardboard dulcimers that were given to me to use for my kids. I give them to the extra kids (visitors) that the regular kids bring along to the meeetings if I don't have enough Student dulcimers.

Now, :P I'm gonna be bad here and tell you that my mom has a beautiful Cripple Creek dulcimer just like my hummingbird one, but hers has an inlaid Pink Roseon it. It is really beautiful! They used a pink wood. I think he called it Pink Tulipwood. It's on the endangered species list or maybe it is extinct. Bud Ford Jr. told me that they had the piece of wood laying around forever. I don't think that I have a picture of her dulcimer, but if you go to their website, you can see pictures of other roses they have done. My moms kit only cost about $240 and my son-in-law built it for her then. Sorry, I didn't mean to do this to you, but your really should get one. :laughing:

Oh yeah, I will seriously think about coming to Harmony Harvest in September. Missy and Tom Strothers always go to it and so does Dave the dulcimer builder. If Judy could make it too, We could have a great time!