Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Gypsy outreach
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:53 pm 

Yesterday (Sun 24th) we went to two Gypsy camps to help with Christmas outreaches. We love going and they enjoy our visits. Each of the camps has believers now. It has been 6 years since we first started to help with the work in these camps.

This is the Church building. Before this we used to meet outside but it is very cold here next to the sea in the winter.

This is Susan up at 5am wrapping presents for the Gypsy kids

Gypsy housing. This is actually a LOT better than previous years as they obtained good plastic to waterproof the shacks.

Susan giving out gifts after the service

Some children

A few are still barefoot even though it is just above freezing now in the mornings.

Ellah, one of the newest PWA whistlers, came to help. She is great with kids and speaks good Greek.

Some of the young that came to church. There are also some Korean missionaries in the foto

Last edited by Adrian on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:34 am 

Dear Susan and Adrian,

this is so great what you are doing! The pictures are great (especialy the one with the two girls) and the sure bring back memories. God bless you both and the work you do.

Shalom, Scarlet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:28 am 

Great pix, Adrian! As to the Gypsy housing, I've lived a couple of places just about like that. Very interesting. What percentage of the population are Gypsy, Adrian? And what is the basic religion of Gypsies? I'm assuming they're not Muslim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:25 pm 

wonderful pictures......what a lovely people they are.......I have been helping with a number of Romany Gypsies....Dover is a port town......we get lots of Immigrants here and these folk from Eastern Europe come in frequently........we have two 'pastors here...and I have shared worship with them as a group. When I was about 24..long time ago...I worked on mission in the coal fields of norther france...actually down the mines where all the workers were from Italy....many of them Christian Pentecostals....we used to share worship with many Romanies then...they used to bring their accordions...violins and guitars along and sing for us....awesome they were too...again...wonderful picyures...keep em coming...Blessings Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:28 pm 

here mate...thought I should add....WHAT A WONDERFUL COUPLE YOU ARE....Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:41 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
And what is the basic religion of Gypsies? I'm assuming they're not Muslim.

There is no single religion for Roma and today they generally adopt many of the beliefs of the country they choose to live in. However, they do keep many of the old traditional beliefs.

They believe in the power of mulo, (ghosts and spirits). Charms and amulets are regarded as being powerful in warding off evil. Curses are taken very seriously and would be expected to have results.

Del is their term for God. They also believe in a evil being called Beng.

Purity is a big concern and many things must be avoided so that you do not get polluted. There are rituals to purify yourself.

Babies are given up to three names. The first is only known by the mother and is given to confuse evil spirits. The baby gets another name at baptism under running water when it is a few weeks old. It may then get another name when given a Christian or Muslim baptism.

Women are thought to be impure from the waist down and must wear long skirts which should touch no man other than their husbands.

Healing rituals are an important part of their belief system.