Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Notation Musician
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

I found an interesting program while following a link on a celtic music site last night -- a program called Notation Musician. It says it will take a midi and convert it to music notation ... and it does! I downloaded the 30-day free trial, looked up a Christmas song with a bit a of jazz flare and got a conductor's score that had no less than 6 drum lines, as well as piano, flute, strings (4-5 lines of that), saxophone .... and so on. Wow! You can change the key, the instruments ....

Am I the last one here to find this nifty program?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:14 pm 

In a word, No. I may have to look at this one.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

An amazing price if it really does what it says it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Connie, it looks like it does what it promises. Instead of using a midi 'they' suggested for my first tune to play with, I picked one at random. The more instruments in the midi, the bigger your score. I plan to play with it a good bit more before plunking down the $50 ... but will probably be buying it eventually. Practically, it may not be more than a fun plaything for me -- but I now know more about writing a drum score than I did before. 8)

I'm even wondering about the upgrade to the Notation Composer, too ... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 am 
Site Admin

finale has a similar function. it works okay. sometimes i think it confuses the lines a bit. midi is much easier to do this on since each note is actually defined in the midi file where as in an mp3 for example it is more of a recorded sound and no maticmatical notation of pitch. I downloaded the demo and am gonna see if it works better than finale's function. if it does I will probably buy it. You can find tons of midi files for tunes out there and this is a good way to pull melodies :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I didn't know Finale had a similiar function, shadoes. I've used the the notator function for things I've played ... and boy, was that lousy! (The playing, obviously :roll: )

I did notice a couple of chords in the playback of the Notation Musician that sounded a little off. May be the way it was written, maybe not. But it looks like you can re-arrange the notes to suit yourself. At first glance, it's a good program. It will be interesting to get your take. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 am 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
finale has a similar function. it works okay. sometimes i think it confuses the lines a bit. midi is much easier to do this on since each note is actually defined in the midi file where as in an mp3 for example it is more of a recorded sound and no maticmatical notation of pitch. I downloaded the demo and am gonna see if it works better than finale's function. if it does I will probably buy it. You can find tons of midi files for tunes out there and this is a good way to pull melodies :)

I think Cakewalk will do it too.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:40 pm 

I bought the 1.0 version of this (for $60, dang) when it was called MidiNotate. At the time, I wasn't aware of Finale or Cakewalk.

It's proven invaluable for learning tunes in the whistle keys I have, as you can transpose. It also helps to isolate parts for harmonies; I do a lot of low D or G under a high D melody.

I can print out sheet music for our sight-reading fiddler, (hey, how'd that jiggling icon get in there?) resave the transposed NOT file as a new MIDI for the other whistler who learns by ear, and both watch and listen myself to slowed-down versions until I get the hang of fingering.

It also generates guitar chords, but I don't know enoff about guitar to tell if the chords are OK or not.

Give it a two-thumbs up.

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41 pm 

Noteworthy Composer also performs this function, among others. It's the software that I use regularly.

Mark

Whistle and Squeak: Folk, Traditional, Hymns, and Carols with Pennywhistle Tablature and Sound Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 am 
Site Admin

ned o the hill wrote:
fiddler, (hey, how'd that jiggling icon get in there?)

We now have Walden's smilies added to our choices. I found out the if you type "a c c o r d i o n" without spaces you get >>> accordion. Same thing must happen with "f i d d l e" ....

.... an amusing and interesting glitch. :mrgreen:

Nice to know you like the program, Ned. I may invest in it yet. The only midis I've found it has a problem with was from CyberHymnal. A pity that, because that's one place I really wanted to get the music from. For some wierd reason, the noteworthy composer plug-in (for getting the sheet music) doesn't work well with IE .... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Did a comparison on a "Praise to the Lord" midi on both Notation Musician and Finale's PrintMusic (Thanks, shadoes -- I really didn't know Finale did this, too!). The Notation sheet music seems to come out a little cleaner/clearer, notewise, than Finale's -- but not by much. One problem I found with the Notation version, I couldn't figure out how to save my changes and create a sound file that Audacity would pick up. Audacity couldn't read the .mid file from Notation. Finale has no problem creating a .wav file for Audacity. That's a big plus for Finale, which I already 'own', over the Notation Musician.

.... just thought I would share the further explorations into this ... :D

Ned, any clues as to how to create the proper music file with Notation? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
.... an amusing and interesting glitch. :mrgreen:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to find it. Ned wins the prize!

If it becomes too annoying, I can change them back to the coded versions, in other words, you'd have to type the word in-between colon marks to get the icon.

Maybe now that the joke's out, I will change it anyway.

Kitty