Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Hoar frost
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:28 am 

One of the things I miss from living in the UK is the winter hoar frosts where you wake in the morning and the whole world is white. Here in Greece we only get the occasional taste of this. These snaps were on a local hill very early in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:13 am 

Beautiful pictures but I am older and enjoy the sun and warmth .. I will leave the cold to you and those who enjoy it. I use to love the snow and would still welcome it ... once or twice a year but not the cold ... wet .. winds that bring it. It cuts through me like a knife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:50 am 

Adrian....for goodness sake ...will you take some bad photos...just for once.....you make me want to throw my cmaera away....... :lol: :lol: :lol: Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:43 pm 

Revles wrote:
Adrian....for goodness sake ...will you take some bad photos...just for once.....you make me want to throw my cmaera away....... :lol: :lol: :lol: Les.

Bet he used the camera I gave Susan .. it takes really good pictures ... has to be the camera ... Adrian .. has a good eye but these were better than usual :-k [-( :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:48 pm 

i live in a valley less than 1/4 mile from a river. river access is a couple of miles away so don't get jealous. we often get to see the frost line on the hillsides. now that's beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:44 am 

That first pic reminds me when I use to make sugared violets to put on desert trays. I did that with peppermint leaves as well.

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 pm 

foothillsOH wrote:
That first pic reminds me when I use to make sugared violets to put on desert trays. I did that with peppermint leaves as well.

Did you eat them? Or were they just for show? (sorry, I'm just curious, but I dunno much about setting tables and plates and trays and stuff... I just kinda do what my mom tells me)

I love the cold and snow and ice and frost. I have a tradition of going outside on the first snow or ice rain of the season in a T-shirt and jeans and just taking a 10- or 20-minute walk (would be longer if my mom would let me). Just go out and praise God and sing. People look at me funny but they do that anyway :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 am 

TheSpoonMan wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

Did you eat them? Or were they just for show? (sorry, I'm just curious, but I dunno much about setting tables and plates and trays and stuff... I just kinda do what my mom tells me)

I love the cold and snow and ice and frost. I have a tradition of going outside on the first snow or ice rain of the season in a T-shirt and jeans and just taking a 10- or 20-minute walk (would be longer if my mom would let me). Just go out and praise God and sing. People look at me funny but they do that anyway :shock:

Sorry,
neglected to answer that.

Yup, you can eat them.
Not much flavor to the violets, the peppermint is yummy though

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:50 am 

foothillsOH wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

Sorry,
neglected to answer that.

Yup, you can eat them.
Not much flavor to the violets, the peppermint is yummy though

I missed this. When I was a child my mother and sisters used to make candied violets but candied mint I have never heard of. I'm putting a post-it note on my fridge to remind me to try it later in the spring.