Susanne
Site Admin

How are we all doing?

Hi everyone!
It's been a while since we had any activity here! I've been quite busy and overwhelmed myself. Recently I've struggled with a foot injury and before that a.. foot injury (or at least niggle). I started running last year and let's say it's a much steeper learning curve than I thought and your body needs to be a lot stronger than I thought.
This recent injury has taken all focus and energy from me (still waiting for a diagnosis, MRI this week). After this I may not go back to running but will enjoy walking and strength training and will try other forms of cardio training. I'll 100% celebrate having a functional body and will enjoy what it can do in ways that are less prone to injuries.

Other than that, things are good over here. We play music in a pub every Saturday and are looking forward to the summer with more sessions in town.

How are you all doing? Music-wise and otherwise?
jimwasson

Re: How are we all doing?

I've been doing well generally, as has my Dad. (I'm still at his home 73 hours per week.) I try to avoid causing myself injury, but am not always successful in this. (I hurt my shoulder a couple of years ago when trying to push a lawn mower up a hill in our back yard. The injury was not immediately evident, and it took probably a year to make it right again.)

Starting in with the garden again, with leek sets in the ground, and pepper and tomato seedlings growing. I've also set some hardware cloth underground and fastened to the side of a couple of sheds to discourage woodchucks from burrowing under them.

Musically, still just practicing the flute most days, but not playing with anyone else.

I remember back when I did a little running. Seems like I was frequently coming up against shin splints, which condition was quite painful. That was more than 50 years ago (high school.) Think I've heard that running is especially hard on the body. I hope that you find resolution for your foot injury. It's good you're planning on continuing to exercise, and are willing to consider forms of exercise other than running.
Susanne
Site Admin

Re: How are we all doing?

That's good to hear you're doing well and your dad too. How lovely to plant in the garden. I haven't been able to do that this year but I enjoy seeing plants from previous years come back. My David Austin rose seems to finally be doing well, at least for now. It's been struggling ever since we bought it in 2019 but a rose-competent friend told me it can take a while before they settle. We'll see how it proceeds during the summer. My azalea that I planned to remove this spring because it hasn't shown any interest in life for 3 years, is also budding now!

Running certainly is hard on the body, and most people don't understand that it's more than just buying some running shoes and hitting the road. Your body needs to be so strong, balanced, flexible, and there's a lot to the running technique too. I might do it again but I'll decide later (after at least another year of strength training). My priority is strength training and I'll ramp up that a bit to three days a week and totally focus on that for another year, plus when I'm told it's ok to ride a bike we'll buy an exercise bike. (I'm not a fan of cycling with a "real" bike on these country roads crowded with farming vehicles).

I had shin splints when I was very young. That was horrible!

Return to “Mingle and chat”