Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Pre Lent Gypsy party
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:31 pm 

From vespers in the evening the Lenten fast begins. Today we went to the final Gypsy party. There can be no more weddings, celebrations or parties until the end of Holy Week.

Here is the typical food eaten on the first day of the fast. There can be no meat, fish or dairy products now.

Super Gypsy music

Lots of dancing

And more dancing

Even the children dance

While the priest keeps an eye on things and takes part in the festivities

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! GREAT!!!! Wish I could hear the music and see the dances. The photographs almost seem to capture the music. :D

Thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:24 pm 

Sure looks like fun ... and great pics as well.

I lived near New Orleans for many years and went to Mardi Gras a lot ... there were lots of parades ... and balls leading up to Fat Tuesdsay and on the actual day ... everyone went nuts. Then all stopped and Ash Wednesday came and Lent was on.

It was a lot of fun .. have no idea how the hurricane affected it ... I think they still have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:01 pm 

what is the pink fluff on the plate? what is the white square? tofu or cheese? you said that there were no dairy products.

what are the white napkins type things flying in the other pictures? are they napkins just caught in the breeze and blown off the table or is there some bigger significance?

that looks like your hands and jacket. did you buy the food at the festival? if that's the first day of fast why would they be having a party?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I LOVE the expressions on the little girls' faces! That is some kind of picture. Could win an award with that one, Adrian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:50 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
You know, I LOVE the expressions on the little girls' faces! That is some kind of picture. Could win an award with that one, Adrian.

I thought they were cute as well. They danced very well. Fortunately taking pictures of children is still legal in Greece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:08 pm 

mutepointe wrote:
what is the pink fluff on the plate? what is the white square? tofu or cheese? you said that there were no dairy products.

what are the white napkins type things flying in the other pictures? are they napkins just caught in the breeze and blown off the table or is there some bigger significance?

that looks like your hands and jacket. did you buy the food at the festival? if that's the first day of fast why would they be having a party?

The 'pink fluff' is taramosalata:

Smoked cod roes
Olive oil
Garlic clove
Lemon juice
Black pepper
Chopped parsley
Chopped onion

It is very tasty but has no forbidden food items. Later in the fast there are times when oil cannot be consumed.

The 'white square' is one of the kinds of halva, which is Turkish for sweet. It is made with sesame seed paste (called tahini), almond nuts, honey and some other non prohibited ingredients. It is very very sweet . Many Greeks like to eat it with lemon juice and sprinkled with cinnamon.

The paper napkins - at any Greek party it is the custom to throw flower heads, petals, confetti, streamers etc at people dancing. The napkins were on the table and so people threw them as they did not have flowers. Notice the confetti on some of the dancers.

Here is a foto from a few days ago from my town center where the dancers were thrown flowers not napkins. The dancers in this foto are Gypsies.

The plate of food was held by Susan for the foto and everything is free including wine and bean soup. Remember the fast did not begin until vespers (evening prayers).

Thank you for your interest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:24 am 

Jim Wright wrote:
It was a lot of fun .. have no idea how the hurricane affected it ... I think they still have it.

Yeah, they're havin' it. I havn't been there. Others at college have.

What I hear is they once threw coconuts into the crowd! Now they use plastic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:33 pm 

it's not just the quality, Adrian. You tell a story with your pictures here...we really begin to see the social structures,life style,dress ,food etc and hear the story and see the beauty..and how wonderful to see the priest as a part of that community..............the pictures are a real wonder...Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:17 pm 

dear adrian:

thanks for explaining all that. what a wonderful festival. thanks for the heads up about the pink fluff too, that looked like strawberry cream to me. that would have shocked my taste buds.

when i first moved to west virginia from pennsylvania, i went to a picnic. i thought i was putting a creme puff into my mouth but instead, it was a biscuit with cream of mushroom soup filling with cheese too. i dropped that thing out of my mouth like it was on fire without a second thought. fortunately, the person who made them didn't see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

The one food I miss from the south: pimento cheese sandwiches. And pimento cheese-stuffed celery. And pimento cheese......

Yes, I thought that was pink fluff too (a kind of strawberry or cherry-mixed-with whipped cream dish).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:54 pm 

dear connie: it's not like southerners to pull a practical joke but wouldn't it be kind of fun to go to the lent gypsy festival next year with cherry/stawberry fluff and watch all the reactions when folks taste our pink fluff. my mom buys the pimento cheese in the little glass jars that can be used for juice glasses. we've always had it in our house. i couldn't tell you how it taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

I think the fluff breaks the no dairy product rule. :(

That being said, I never let being southern stop me from a good practical joke. 8)

Mutepointe, you've gotta try pimento cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:44 pm 

pink marshmellow fluff would be non-dairy. and not only would folks want to spit it out but they might have trouble since marshmellow fluff could get stuck to the roof of their mouths or their beards. i'm pretty certain the pimento cheese in the little glass jar is non-dairy too.
please forgive me, i've been celebrating mardi gras and am on a sugar rush from eating loads of tim horton timbit doughnuts. the jelly filled are the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, no more sugar for YOU! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 pm 

Pimento cheese is a staple .... take the store bought version ... add just a tech of garlic salt .. mix well .. smear on crackers or bread and you are in business. It also works with bacon ... ham ... roast beef .... or just about anything else you want to add to your sandwich.

I thought everyone knew that! :D