Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Cheiftan Low D
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:24 pm 

hey, I'm considering buying a Chieftan Aluminum Low D and the internet store stated that they're not hand-made - but that that's not a bad thing, not at all. I don't know if that's true or if the store just doesn't want to prevent a sale. I've heard some good things about Chieftans, any insights? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:45 am 

i was also thinking about getting one of those, i am thinking about getting a songbird or the new v3

(Poverbs 26:11) http://brandonchristian.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Chieftains aren't hand made. They may be individually voiced, but I don't know for sure. I, personally, don't like the Chieftains very much. Before you buy, check out Gary Humphrey's Low D or the Howard or a Burke, or Overton. For what it's worth, if I was going to buy a Low D without playing it first I'd pick Reyburn over just about any, with the possible exception of Copeland .... but I'd really rather play a flute instead. ;)

Ask over on the Chiff and you'll get a lot of answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Admin

I have a Reyburn...great whistle. I also have a Kerry Low D. Its also a good whistle. Lots of folks play cheiftans and love them. If you can play a few before buying one it would be optimum. But if you are like me there are no whistle shops near here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:54 pm 

I have a Chieftain A which was my all time favourite whistle until I discovered Overton in recent months. It is still one of my best and I'll never willingly part with it. On the other hand, I tried a Chieftain G and didn't like a single thing about it other than the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I used one on Come Thou Fount at the link below if you'd like to hear one. Very chiffy whistle ... not exaclty what I was looking for but what can I do? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:01 am 

hmmm . . . getting some mixed responses here. i don't know what "chiffy" means, but I checked out the "Come Thou Fount II" mp3 and i loved it. I thoroughly enjoy the breathy/airy/raspy sounds of the whistle, and the clear, precise sounds of others are less enjoyable in my mind, so i guess it's a matter of opinion. I know of certain pros in bands i really like who use Chieftains very effectively (esp. Micah Lother of Jason Upton - my inspiration to whistle). But what is "chiffy"? That one word makes me wonder about the integrity of the Chieftain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
breathy/airy/raspy sounds of the whistle

That's 'chiff' ... or so I'm told :) .

Micah is what got me into this as well, the Cheiftain in particular, but he doesn't seem to get the air in the tone - sorry, the 'chiff' ( it is a whistle board) that I get. I read he also plays Overtons - could be the difference.

Just to you know - there are two new Jason Upton CDs. One just released and the second is coming out may 29. I'm really blessed by his music and his heart. I got to meet him once - really nice guy. Just what you'd expect. We were playing in Williamsburg on Easter weekend a few years ago, and he finished the 'show'. The event was ridiculous, but his worship set was my first experience with him. It was amazing. That was before Micah though, around the release of Jacob's Dream. Good stuff, that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm 

thanks all! i'm about to run out the door, but i wanted to say i thought about it and i bought myself an Overton low D. I think it'll suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:41 pm 

I think you'll like the Overton -- it's hard to go wrong there.

I, too, like the Reyburn (shadoes and Judy) and just ordered a C body to go along with the Low D. What a sound. I haven't decided (and really never will) whether I like this better than the Resonance Low D. Good work either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:15 am 
Site Admin

jono wrote:
thanks all! i'm about to run out the door, but i wanted to say i thought about it and i bought myself an Overton low D. I think it'll suffice.

I'm wishing now I had done that. Let me know what you think when you get it, please.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 pm 

jrc wrote:

Just to you know - there are two new Jason Upton CDs. One just released and the second is coming out may 29. I'm really blessed by his music and his heart. I got to meet him once - really nice guy. Just what you'd expect. We were playing in Williamsburg on Easter weekend a few years ago, and he finished the 'show'. The event was ridiculous, but his worship set was my first experience with him. It was amazing. That was before Micah though, around the release of Jacob's Dream. Good stuff, that!
Is there a lot of whistling on these CDs? Is one CD better than the rest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:11 am 
Site Admin

There is more on the later CD's than the earlier ones.

Jason is the only person of whom I have all the the recordings - to date, Faith is my favorite, followed closely by Jacobs Ladder. Neither have whistle though. Oops - I lied, I don't have the latest two - I've just odered Beautifu People, and there is one that came out in April I don't have. If you have DirectTV, or can get GodTV, he's been on there some lately too, with Micah.

Trusting the Angels and Great River Road both have whistle - the later has some Native American flute as well.

Key of David is the first, and my least favorite. The recording is very raw and harsh to my ear. But the content on all of them is awesome - can't go wrong. For whistle Great River Road is probably the best so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:34 pm 

thanks, jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:18 pm 

For whistling, I'd have to say that 'Open Up the Earth' is my favorite album of Jason's. I don't know about amount of whistling time - 'Remember' probably takes the cake percentage-wise - but for beautiful, sweet anointing I recommend 'Open Up the Earth'. It's a 2 CD and 1 DVD combo, around $18.

I ordered the Overton and it should be in my hands in a week or so - so I'll definitely give a review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:58 am 

jono wrote:
For whistling, I'd have to say that 'Open Up the Earth' is my favorite album of Jason's. I don't know about amount of whistling time - 'Remember' probably takes the cake percentage-wise - but for beautiful, sweet anointing I recommend 'Open Up the Earth'. It's a 2 CD and 1 DVD combo, around $18.

I ordered the Overton and it should be in my hands in a week or so - so I'll definitely give a review.
Thanks for the advice, jono. I see some new CD purchases looming here. I love this kind of advice!

And let us know what you think about the Overton when it arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:09 am 
Site Admin

jono wrote:

I don't 'remember' Remember - I do recall the story about the storm, but I can't recall much musically. I'll have to dig that one out again.

Open Up the Earth is good, your'e right, as are they all. You just can't make a mistake with these CD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Jason is coming to Williamsburg June 9 - I expect to be there.

If anyone is in the area, it'd be a great opportunity.

http://www.ariseamerica.com/main.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:49 pm 

the review of the Overton will be a couple more days in waiting, the provider only shipped it today due to delays and confusion in the shipping companies. coming from MN and going to IA is no marathon, so it should be here in a couple days.