Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: God's Little Masterpieces II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:47 am 

Been having a lot of fun with my camera ... and am amazed once again by the beauty and detail of these butterflies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Outstanding shots! I love dragonflies too.

The butterflies here in Colorado are FAST! They don't stay still long enough to even see them, much less catch a shot of them. I grew up with lazy Louisiana butterflies so these are amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:50 pm 

Super duper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Love these! I gotta pay off the new roof so I can get a decent camera.

(Now I must write 200 times...thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's camera.)

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:08 pm 

thanks for the comments ... probably be the last pictures for awhile. We have had so much rain that we are being attacked by swarms of mosquitoes as we go from the house to the cars. They be big ... even for Texas! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 pm 

On Sunday I had to take a 5 hour train journey to cover a wedding in another part of Greece. On the train I was reading one of the better photography mags from the UK and lo and behold there was a section on butterfly pictures by some guru on the subject. He demonstrated the need to get to eye level for butterfly portraits and to take them in profile rather than from above for maximum impact. I opened your post here and the very first one looks almost like one of his prize winners. Do you write for a British photography mag under another name by any chance?

BTW wish you could have helped me on Sunday. Portraits are NOT my forté but they are yours. Actually, have not posted any human portraits for a while - hint, hint!

Last edited by Adrian on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 pm 

You pay the air fare (round trip) and I will come over and show you ... LOL.... I can take care of expenses ... it is the aiir fare that has me pausing! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:00 am 

Jim Wright wrote:
thanks for the comments ... probably be the last pictures for awhile. We have had so much rain that we are being attacked by swarms of mosquitoes as we go from the house to the cars. They be big ... even for Texas! :D

If the mosquitoes are so big perhaps you could send us some photos!! I've got a few bites at the moment.

I love the photos. Really stunning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:07 am 

Gorgeous pix, Jim! You have one fine camera there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:56 am 

So what kind of camera is it?

Nice pics btw!

I find the best butterfly viewing is when it has been dry. The butterflys don't flit off as quickly.

I would think it would be difficult to get a pic of a dragonfly though, however, you did it!

I would love to take up another hobby and photography is on the list.

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:57 am 

foothillsOH wrote:

I'll answer for Jim. :D

It is a Canon S3 IS 6MP. It is a digital compact, albeit quite a large one. One of its beauties is that it has a 12x zoom (that's about a 400mm equivalent). This is great help in getting the butterfly pictures. IS in the product name stands for Image Stabiliser, so goodbye to camera shake.

We have to remember that Jim was a professional photographer when he was in Europe and he is married to someone who teaches Photoshop. A few advantages there! I love his pictures though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:31 am 

Adrian wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

It is a Canon S3 IS 6MP. It is a digital compact, albeit quite a large one. One of its beauties is that it has a 12x zoom (that's about a 400mm equivalent). This is great help in getting the butterfly pictures. IS in the product name stands for Image Stabiliser, so goodbye to camera shake.

We have to remember that Jim was a professional photographer when he was in Europe and he is married to someone who teaches Photoshop. A few advantages there! I love his pictures though.

Aye ... the camera is very grand but my wife has refused to teach me Photoshop .... says that I am a very slow learner and only seem intersted in "hitting" on the teacher! :D What I have learnd about Photshop ... I have learned from Adrain.

As for being a professional ... I guess it is true ... but I worked only under lights or very controlled settings which made the work easy and boring (well the weddings receptions weren't but that's another story). That is why I gave it up when I wsa discharged. I took the normal pictures of my kids growing up but there was no real joy in it.

Then I bought this camera and ... unfortunately ... listened to Adrian .. and started carrying it with me everywhere I go .... Now I am hopelessly hooked on photography again and am going nuts with all of the rain and muddy dirt roads that are all but impassable now. Those dirt roads are prime shooting areas for all kinds of natures best.

The zoom feature allows me to stand off far enough that I seldom bother the butterflies or dragonflies ... and if I need to get closer I move as if stalking an animal ... very slow with pauses in between. Dragonflies will use the same pearch for long periods of time when hunting for food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:51 am 

Adrian wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

And may I ask $$$$????
Links????
User friendly????

Inquiring Minds want to know!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Admin

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-I ... B000EMWBV0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:25 am 

foothillsOH wrote:
Adrian wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

And may I ask $$$$????
Links????
User friendly????

You can actually find that camera at most Wal Marts in this area now .... and I seldom move the settings off of "automatic" ... it is one smart cameral :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am 

Jim Wright wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:
Adrian wrote:
foothillsOH wrote:

And may I ask $$$$????
Links????
User friendly????

You can actually find that camera at most Wal Marts in this area now .... and I seldom move the settings off of "automatic" ... it is one smart cameral :D

Every pro has a compact or five and this is a great all rounder. A DSLR with a 400mm lens is a real burden that you will never have with you by chance whereas you never need be without this beauty as it is light and compact.

$303 from Amazon USA.

Yes, it is very user friendly and you can use it out of the box on auto. There is a lot more to this camera than auto for the serious amateurs and pros to play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:15 am 

If you should buy this or any other camera that uses 4 AA batteries .. be warned ... they will use a lot of batteries if you don't have rechargeable ones. Buy the rechargeable kit and a very large memory card.

Oh and the Canon S3IS also have a movie feature which allows me with the push of a button to record anything I am looking at. The "no shake" feature makes taking hand held movies very easy.

It is a terrific camera for the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:54 am 

I saw these chaps out waiting for me this morning on my prayer walk. I wish Jim had been with me.

Photo tip - Insects like butterflies often stay in the same place that they were when the sun set the night before. This means you can go out to the same place the following morning and take a snap before they warm up and fly away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:08 am 

We have the yellow one but have never seen the blue or the one that Les submitted. Have looked at flight paths of the European butterflies and they don't seem to have Texas on their itenararies! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 am 

Aw man you guys are killing Me.... not figuratively speaking mind you...
If it is not Whoa!
If it is not DAD

If it is not guitar... what ever the curse of aquisitions are for that one.

Now it is cameras!
Yummy digital cameras
with movie features and 6mp rather than my lowely 3mp.
It is a battery eating beast that I am soooo tempted to just go over to Amazon and purchase! Oh why oh why do I have an account over there where it would only take a few simple clicks and walla, it is being shipped.

Hmmmm.. must think of good excuse....

Hmmmmmm.... would that be a good anniversary present.
Hmmmmmmmmm..........Father's day present that hubby would share???
Hmmmmmmmmm........

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:30 am 

Batteries

You need to use NiMH batteries for most digital cameras. Two of these should give you 550 fotos in Jim's Canon and my Fuji. The very worst batteries to use are the alkaline ones as they typically last for a short time and die without warning.

It is worth having two sets of NiMH batteries (2300mAh) and a fast charger, and they often come sold like this in a package. I put a fresh set in every morning, just in case!

Photographers often mark their batteries so the same 'sets' are used together every time as this seems to prolong their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:50 am 

foothillsOH wrote:
Aw man you guys are killing Me.... not figuratively speaking mind you...
If it is not Whoa!
If it is not DAD

If it is not guitar... what ever the curse of aquisitions are for that one.

Now it is cameras!
Yummy digital cameras
with movie features and 6mp rather than my lowely 3mp.
It is a battery eating beast that I am soooo tempted to just go over to Amazon and purchase! Oh why oh why do I have an account over there where it would only take a few simple clicks and walla, it is being shipped.

Hmmmm.. must think of good excuse....

Hmmmmmm.... would that be a good anniversary present.
Hmmmmmmmmm..........Father's day present that hubby would share???
Hmmmmmmmmm........

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Laura

Laura
Do check out Les' camera HERE as it has even higher specs than Jim's: x18 zoom instead of x12 and 7.1MP instead of 6MP and lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:55 am 

Adrian wrote:
I saw these chaps out waiting for me this morning on my prayer walk. I wish Jim had been with me.

Photo tip - Insects like butterflies often stay in the same place that they were when the sun set the night before. This means you can go out to the same place the following morning and take a snap before they warm up and fly away.

Ours is more of a brown and you really have to look for them .. they look like leaves.