Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: My Microphone died ... what kind should I get to replace it?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:58 pm 

I've had a Logitech microphone for about a year. It died. What kind of microphones (for use with Audacity) would any of you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:13 am 
Site Admin

sorry Keith, no ideas here - I don't do the computer recording thing.

But I didn't want you to feel ignored, soo...

There's lots of USB mics on the 'net. Just an idea.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I use a headset mic to record whistle with alot. I have had both the Plantronics GamCom Pro headset and a logitech one. There are as has been said a lot of USB mics out there. My current one I am using however plugs to the sound card thru miniplug and not USB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Keith, I asked a friend that records a similar question just a couple of days ago.Here's a suggestion he made for a nice plug & play mike. I've got it on order and can't tell you anything else about it yet. Will let know know when it arrives if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Please post here, Judy. I'm looking too.
-Connie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just pick up another Logitech. I've got a computer mic that picks up all sort of electronic static. The Logitech (USB) doesn't.

Judy, I'll be interested to know also what you find with the recommended microphone. Looks interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I got the MacMice MicFlex USB plug & play microphone Saturday. It is an interesting little gadget. There is no on/off switch. It picks up everything! Not a good thing with me .... breathing, chair squeaking, conversation from across the room when my brother strolled in to see what I was doing ... :roll: I will have to be more aware of room noises. It comes with nothing but the mike (has about 15" of flexpipe) and stand, which has a decent USB cord attached. The microphone will also plug directly into the USB port without the stand. The only real downside was when the "device detector" found the new hardware, it identified it as a headset and completely screwed up my audio playback settings. Took me about 20 minutes to find & fix everything.

I recorded a clip of "It Is Well With My Soul" and dumped it in the Praise Exchange upload folder for a few days, if anyone wants to listen. No midi was used ... all dulcimer & flute. (Not the best, just a recording check type clip) To record the dulcimer the mike had to be positioned over a sound hole -- to record the flute, without major breath sounds, the mike was facing totally away from the flute and about 18" away. This is an amazing change on the flute. The microphone I used before had to be clipped to my shirt within a few inches of the flute -- and still didn't pick up the level of sound the new one did. Up close & personal with the new mike maxed out Audacity .... and Audacity reset the mike volume input to zero.

All in all, for $39.95, and $10 shipping .... think it is going to work out nicely.

Last edited by Judy K on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:57 am 

Thanks for the info, Judy. I listened to the playing -- nice. What you describe is a problem with recording with certain microphones in a place (like where we all live) that has multiple sources of ambient sound. But the recording you've posted sounds good. What I notice is that there is very little electronic static noise. Maybe I'll have to look into this one someday.

I've ordered the same kind of mic as I had before and it should be here early next week. I do have a computer mic (not usb) that gathers lots of static noise and doesn't filter out other noises near and far. I did record the latest song with it, but I'll be glad to get the logitech.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Idea -

If you got a 'wireless' mic, you could record while you were on the beach :thumbsup: :laughing: !

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:49 pm 

jrc wrote:
Idea -

If you got a 'wireless' mic, you could record while you were on the beach :thumbsup: :laughing: !
Actually, I do have a portable digital recorder. I've recorded things with it, but I can't yet figure how to make them into MP3 files so I can work with them on Audacity.

The pictures I posted of playing on the beach, by the way, are all show. The trade winds were strong enough that even the Susato couldn't play clearly, except if I turned completely to block the wind. But, I have played once before on the beach and sometime in the next year, I'll record something from there, both for the experience and so people can see why you don't record at the beach. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:38 pm 

Judy K wrote:
I
I recorded a clip of "It Is Well With My Soul" and dumped it in the Praise Exchange upload folder for a few days, if anyone wants to listen. No midi was used ... all dulcimer & flute.

I checked it out Judy, It's really nice! Your dulcimer playing is really coming along well. Doesn't it sound great with a flute?! :D

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Kathy. The clip needs some of the harmony notes changed -- I just played it as written. Someday, I'll find enough time to get it right ... ;)

Have to admit, the dulcimers are getting more play time than the whistles lately. They give such a nice sound, even for newbies. Now, I'm being a dulcimer-pusher like you. My niece has my first dulcimer to start with. I'll probably be bugging Dave for a student dulcimer for her soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:02 am 

It's hard not to push dulcimers when you know what a wonderful tool they can be. Instant relaxation for me when I am having a bad day. ;)

I think your clip sounded great the way it is. :D

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Admin

That clip is beautiful, Judy. I forgot I was listening for mic quality.

Mic sounds really good, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Judy, are you using a PC or a Mac? It looks like that mic is designed for and by the Mac community, but if you've got it working that well on a PC, I may have to look into it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Admin

:oops: aaawwwww ... thanks, Connie!

The mike does say it's designed for a Mac, but works just as well for a PC ... and it does. I just plugged it in to a USB hub, not even the laptop itself. (An HP pavilion) It installed itself, with the problems mentioned before. Made the recording the same day. It's better than my little $7 Radio Shack deal.

It seems like a nice microphone, so I'll tell you that Gary (viejomc) pointed it out to me as a "not break the bank but be decent" possibility. I would have never found it on my own. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:56 am 

Get a new Logitech, or Labtec. They're the best for this kind of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

My new Micflex got here today. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna go play now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 am 
Site Admin

Cool! Can't wait to hear the results! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

unfortunatly some of my recording software doesn't pick up the usb mics. Wish it did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:07 am 
Site Admin

I ran into an immediate problem when I plugged in the mic and my computer decided it was a heaadset. It took me a while to realize the problem. I immediately recorded a bit of music, and it sounded pretty decent. Lots of presence, no horrid hissing noise, which is what I really was trying to get rid of. :D Not quite as pure as a condenser mic, but all in all, great sound for the money.

Then when I went into Audacity (or any other program) and tried to record while playing one of my soundtracks, I couldn't hear the soundtrack at all. I was baffled, until I realized...well, duh! If my computer thinks I'm using a headset, it's trying to send the sound back out of the usb port into the microphone!!! So right now I'm individually telling each program that I want the sound to come IN through the mic and go OUT through the soundcard. Not ideal, but at least I'm in business with a better mic.

Today I'm going to try to find a way to tell my computer that it's just a mic and not a headset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
The only real downside was when the "device detector" found the new hardware, it identified it as a headset and completely screwed up my audio playback settings. Took me about 20 minutes to find & fix everything.

I did warn you about that strange quirk ...

I fixed the problem by manually changing everything back to the regular speakers, and just leaving the "headset" as a microphone. It took a bit to get things working right ... or close enough to right not to care. 8)

I could still plug in a headset and use it without any problems that I recall ... but I'm old ... and forgetful ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Go into control panel/souns and set it there. There should be an audio tab and a voice tab wher eyou can set the in and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yup. That did it. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Admin

I noticed it disables the recording volume control in Audacity, maybe because Audacity doesn't know exactly what to do with it. It's easy to fix, though. Just bring up the computer's recording volume control as a separate small window and control the volume from there.