Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: On the walk to Philippi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:04 am 

Here are few few snaps from Saturday from my walk to Philippi.

It's harvest time here. The stick in the bale of straw it to avert the evil eye and prevent the crops from being cursed.

The beautiful golden sunlight of dawn made this field look amazing.

This is Neapolis from the Bible. Today it is called Kavala. It was the port city of Philippi.

Neapolis again. The castle on the top of the hill is where Susan and I used to take US army groups on leave from Macedonia and Kosovo for weekend spiritual retreats.

This is the cove where Saints Paul, Luke, Timothy and Silas traditionally landed in AD 52 on theır fırst mıssıon trıp to Europe.

This is a modern church in modern Philippi (Krenides). It is very close to the remains of a fifth century church. The Philippian church has survived the test of time.

This is the agora (market place / city square) of Roman Philippi. Paul and Silas were flogged here in this square after casting the demon out of the slave girl.

The large pillars on the far side of the Agora are the remains of a church built in AD 550. It was going to have an enormous dome roof but it collapsed before it was completed. Five hundred years later they built a roof on one end and used it as a church again.

In the distance is the mountain Pangaion which has affected world history. The the reason that Philippi was built was that rich seams of gold and silver were found there. King Philip took the city over in 356BC and gave it his name 'Philippi' and established a royal mint here.

Alexander the Great said he conquered the known world with the gold mined at Philippi. But the second reason that the mint was important is that the Bible records that the only church that financially supported Paul's missionary efforts was the church at Philippi and quite probably with coins from the mint at Philippi.

This is the traditional location of where Paul and Silas were imprisoned. No one really knows but a special church was built on top of this place and the grotty rooms below still have ancient religious paintings on the walls. There must be good reason for these things. It is less that one minute away from the bema where Paul would have been summarily tried and flogged.

The city gate in the direction of Neapolis.

This is the acropolis of the ancient city and where I camped for the night.

Cassius and Brutus assassinated Julius Caesar in 44 BC and in 42 BC they were finally caught up with by Mark Anthony (as in Anthony and Cleopatra) and Octavian (later to become Augustus Caesar). Cassius camped with his legions on this hill, while the other armies camped in the plain below. The battle was fought in plain.

Cassius and Brutus were defeated and the Roman Republic came to an end and the more powerful Roman Empire was born - all here at Philippi!

In gratitude of the support of the Philippians in the battle Philippi was made a Roman colony. Latin became the language used and Roman customs and dress were used instead of Greek. They were VERY proud of being Roman citizens and so Paul reminded them that we are HEAVENLY citizens.

This was the sunset over ancient Philippi Saturday night. I reveled in it's beauty and for half an hour played a Susato that Susan had not kidnapped and taken to the UK.

The following day were the baptisms. The photos are on another thread.

Last edited by Adrian on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 am 
Site Admin

Awesome pics brother - thanks again for sharing them with us.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:24 am 

Wow!!

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:42 am 

I like the ancient ruins ... would like to see ... once ... what you see daily or at least often.

I could shoot sunsets or sunrises daily .... I just love to see them when God shows off.' He can do some amazing things in just a very few minutes. I shot the same location for about 5 minutes on a sunset and got about 20+ different shots. God's mercy is not the only thing that is new every morning/evening

Pretty cool pics .... for an old guy that walked 34 miles. I wouldn't have had the energy to push the button on the camera after that little stroll... what am I saying ??? I wouldn't have had the energy to hold the camera!!! :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 am 

Jim Wright wrote:
I like the ancient ruins ... would like to see ... once ... what you see daily or at least often.

I could shoot sunsets or sunrises daily .... I just love to see them when God shows off.' He can do some amazing things in just a very few minutes. I shot the same location for about 5 minutes on a sunset and got about 20+ different shots. God's mercy is not the only thing that is new every morning/evening

Pretty cool pics .... for an old guy that walked 34 miles. I wouldn't have had the energy to push the button on the camera after that little stroll... what am I saying ??? I wouldn't have had the energy to hold the camera!!! :laughing:

You'll have to visit one day so we can take you around the Biblical sites.

34 miles is not particularly long for a walk. Not rushing it the walk was only 11 hours. Ask Susan what a LONG walk is.

I agree that God can do some amazing things with sunsets and sunrises. You'll need a 4 gigabyte card for a good sunset! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:42 am 

Adrian wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

You'll have to visit one day so we can take you around the Biblical sites.

34 miles is not particularly long for a walk. Not rushing it the walk was only 11 hours. Ask Susan what a LONG walk is.

I agree that God can do some amazing things with sunsets and sunrises. You'll need a 4 gigabyte card for a good sunset! ;)

Would enjoy a visit I know but you would have to allow for my speed ... I don't make very good time crawling on all 4's ... LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 am 

The pix are great, but the history lessons make them even better. I love history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
The pix are great, but the history lessons make them even better. I love history.

Ditto that. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:53 pm 

Nice work, again. If you ever stop posting pictures, I'll be sorely tempted to leave PWA.

The wheat picture is especially nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:52 pm 

Adrian wrote:

Uh, are British miles different from American miles?
It took a group of us youngins 12.5 hours to walk 40 miles, actually jogging part of the way, definitely not taking our time... :?:

VERY COOL PICTURES!!! (The ones that have loaded, anyway. The internet should speed up once the storm passes. It's slower than dialup right now.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 pm 

I love the sunset picture and the straw bales. Do they have tractors to pull the baler? Is it the Muslums or the Gypsies that believe in the evil eye?

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 pm 

Kathy wrote:
I love the sunset picture and the straw bales. Do they have tractors to pull the baler? Is it the Muslums or the Gypsies that believe in the evil eye?

The Greeks normally have tractors except in very poor rural areas like the Muslim region where we work.

Muslims, Gypsies, Jews AND Christians (not protestants - but a Protestant Christian is a very rare thing out here) seem to strongly believe in the evil eye in the Balkans. It is a big thing and people are often saying special words like 'skortha' (garlic) or spitting to ward off the curse of the evil eye. If someone is unwell or something goes wrong then it may be thought to have a spiritual reason including the evil eye.

The Orthodox Church calls it Vaskania (Vas-ka-nee-a) and it is certainly within their doctrine of evil.

I'll try to get some more photos on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:00 pm 

Dear Adrian,

thank you so much for these amazing pictures. The beauty you captured touches me. I will store it in my heart.

I remember Kavala, Philippi...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:10 pm 

Kristos wrote:
Uh, are British miles different from American miles?

They are the same. Nautical miles are a little longer at 6080 feet.

You did a 40 mile walk in 12.5 hours. Nice one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm 

Scarlet wrote:
Dear Adrian,

thank you so much for these amazing pictures. The beauty you captured touches me. I will store it in my heart.

I remember Kavala, Philippi...

Thanks Scarlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:15 pm 

Adrian,
I would love to see more pictures on the subject of the Evil Eye. I have often heard people remark about "the evil eye", but just thought it was a silly saying and didn't realize that some might believe in it. I am always learning something new from you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:46 pm 

Kathy wrote:
Adrian,
I would love to see more pictures on the subject of the Evil Eye.

OK. It's on my 'to do' list.

Apparently it was a Europe-wide belief but now is found mostly in the Mediterranean countries, particularly in the Balkans and southern Italy.

Susan and I first realized that this belief was alive and well when we lived and worked in Albania about 12 years ago. People became upset and agitated if we ever said something was nice or a baby was pretty - "ah you're cursing it!" spit, spit, spit - was a common response. This made it quite awkward for us in people's houses as it meant that we had to be extra careful to not compliment anything in the house.

If you go to a Greek wedding in the US you'll probably see a few people quietly spitting on the bride to avert the evil eye.

I'll try and get some related photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 am 

Thanks for the photos Adrian. My first time on the site in a few days. They bring back memories.

As for the evil eye, I watched a goat give birth to triplets. Afterwards a necklace with blue beads and black dots (to look like an eye) was put round the goat's neck to avert the evil eye. Very small children often have a charm pinned on their blanket or on their clothes.