Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Basement transformation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

I regret I have no pictures of the basement before we started. There might be some in a box around here, but I've been too busy to look for them.

Here's one of the girls' computer area that was snapped just before we started.

Here's the same corner from further away. We started to tear down that wall in which the previous owner had cut a hole and installed a bar area (rather badly). This was useless space to us so we decided to tear it down and put the entertainment center back in there... only to discover after removing the ugly paneling that it's a LOAD-BEARING wall and you're not supposed to cut a hole into it for a bar!. :x So we had to leave it as it was and incorporate it into the plan.

The reason it's all so dusty is because we scraped off all that texture crud from the ceiling. The texture was supposedly for acoustical purposes; the glitter is because the house was built in 1963 and the contractor must have been on LSD.

A shot looking toward my office at the other end.

Part of the crew. Jeannie 14 and Stephie 12. These kids have worked really hard this week. We bought a family YMCA membership on Tuesday so they're swimming even now as I type.

Poor Sammy was banished from the room for the duration. (He doesn't realize how lucky he was.)

Here's the wall we had to keep. I'm going to build an entertainment center into the big opening, and put a door in the small one. (I did the drywall myself.)

Another look back toward my office.

OK, HERE'S WHERE I'M GOING TO LOSE SOME OF YOU.... :mrgreen:

I'm going to a southwestern theme, so the walls were painted a sand color, but my daughters couldn't possibly have it just one plain color. So I rented a paint sprayer and put on a coat of terra cotta in this sort of dusty mountain pattern.

There's my husband; he did all the heavy work.

That's the roll of carpet waiting to be installed. More pictures next week after the carpet gets put down. We have someone coming in to do that part because...... I DON'T WANT TO! :D

The girls are in charge of the stairway... we'll see what they come up with.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:10 pm 

Looking good! Lot of hard work for you all but it will be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Adrian here's one I just shot for you. I've quit for the day and put my tools down on the floor, then noticed I liked how they looked in the little spot of sunlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:22 pm 

Thank you! Very nice. Odd numbers normally work better in composition than even numbers, as you nicely demonstrate here.

Gives me itchy fingers though, as worked in construction for some years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:24 pm 

very nice work. our house has that textured ceiling thing going on too. was it worth it to you to remove it or do you wish you would have just covered it?

i like the terra cotta. in west virginia, that sparkly ceiling thing is starting to make a comeback and not by the lsd users either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 pm 

Wow Kitty! What a job!!! :D You guys do nice work. It's great that you're doing your own work. We hire someone to come in and do stuff for us. Lon isn't great with a hammer and I am really useless with one. What a wonderful family project. The kids look cute in those get-ups.

My ceilings are all swirled. I really need to paint them, but am not looking forward to that job. :|

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:41 pm 

Forgot to say that I loved the picture of the workers in masks and goggles - brilliant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Great pics! What's the room going to be? Bigger computer room for the kids? Den? Entertainment center...hmmm. Probably a famiy room or den, right? Or perhaps a big guest area?

Not likely, but it's possible. Our guest accommodations include a wide-screen tv. That's just where it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:44 am 

It is good to see you young people with so much energy. I always enjoyed doing such projects but was always glad when they were completed. I for one like the color. I believe in using color to decorate. After all it is just paint. I am glad to see the kids joining in to help. Many now days won't. Very nice pictures.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:48 am 

Adrian wrote:
Forgot to say that I loved the picture of the workers in masks and goggles - brilliant!

I looked at that picture and was thinking masks, goggles, and giggles! :D

Great job getting the kids involved and great pictures as well.

I am not going to let Myrna see this topic ... she has her eyes on redoing the batrooms this summer. She is management and I am labor ... and hopefully she will not decide to do the job. It could happen .. I could get lucky! :roll: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin

We do have pretty good kids. They have a lot of nice things - more than I had growing up - but they also pitch in to do the work around the house without too much complaining. :)

Connie, we've never really had an area in this house that was comfortable to have guests over, and since I am exploring alternatives to institutional church.....

Also, my daughter is almost 15 and we wanted her to have a place where friends could come over and hang out, watch movies, play music, etc. Her room is too crowded and messy for comfort, and her guy friends can't really hang out in there anyway.

I'm planning on eventually being able to close off the TV center when we're just having guests over, either with doors, a wall hanging or a free-standing room divider. But that's several more weeks down the road. Right now I'm just waiting on carpet installation so we can get all this furniture out of every other room in the house. I can barely walk in my bedroom at the moment. :shock:

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:59 am 
Site Admin

mutepointe wrote:
our house has that textured ceiling thing going on too. was it worth it to you to remove it ....

Oh yes. It's called popcorn, and that's about what it's like. It crumbles and falls off whenever you touch it. I have enough frustration without trying to paint over that stuff!

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Admin

We have attained carpetage, Captain!

The girls are out back right now painting the baseboards and outlet plates (while listening to a CD of Peter, Paul and Mary's Greatest Hits).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

WOW! Nice taste in music. And nice carpetage, Scotty. :D

Looks like your master plan's coming together.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:26 pm 

KittyR wrote:
I am exploring alternatives to institutional church.....

And some of us would like to hear more and discuss these ideas. Can't we have a forum to discuss this. Musicians tend to be freer thinkers than most. That's why we are always in trouble with the pastor for wanting to explore, experiment and push the worship boundries, right? Might not PWA also have a place to discuss ideas about worship and church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 pm 

Very nice work. Makes me want to do my garage. What are you doing next week? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
Musicians tend to be freer thinkers than most. That's why we are always in trouble with the pastor for wanting to explore, experiment and push the worship boundries, right?

My pastor's a musician too. At our church it's more like: The praise team and pastoral staff are always in trouble with the congregation. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
KittyR wrote:

And some of us would like to hear more and discuss these ideas. Can't we have a forum to discuss this. Musicians tend to be freer thinkers than most. That's why we are always in trouble with the pastor for wanting to explore, experiment and push the worship boundries, right? Might not PWA also have a place to discuss ideas about worship and church.

It sounds like my kind of fun, but I'm a little trigger-shy. If theology and politics are shaky ground for us, worship style preferences might hide some landmines as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:57 pm 

Awesome work! Proud of y'all working hard. Makes me want to do something... but we've finished working on the upstairs, and dad wants his bookshelves to be his own private work... silly dad...

ConnieS wrote:
Adrian wrote:
KittyR wrote:

It sounds like my kind of fun, but I'm a little trigger-shy. If theology and politics are shaky ground for us, worship style preferences might hide some landmines as well.

I'm game. Maybe we want a seperate forum a la C&F? I think if we approach controversies in the light of Christ we can discuss them politely and healthily enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

The political meltdown thread happened because people were digging heels in and saying they were right. It was a fight not a discussion and I hope we have all learnt a lot from that. Also I'm not suggesting that we discuss politics. If it does not work out the plug can be pulled at a moments notice.

Connie, you said "worship style preferences might hide some landmines as well". You may be right but on the other hand sharing our own personal thoughts about worship might help us learn from each other.

Kitty's 'other basement' may be just the place to share and discuss these things politely and graciously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Tommy wrote:
Very nice work. Makes me want to do my garage. What are you doing next week? :lol:

DECORATING! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
It was a fight not a discussion and I hope we have all learnt a lot from that.

Actually, I view that thread as pretty much a "success." Several people grew very agitated and even offended at the different politics and opinions, but we actually DID allow grace to come in and we DID seek--and find--peace together without having to all think the same thing in the end. I thought it was rather amazing.

Not that I want to repeat it, but....... :mrgreen:

There are literally hundreds of free forum sites out there if anyone feels led to set one up and administrate it. Let the rest of us know where it is. I could even set up one of our own (so that we don't have to deal with advertisement and spam) but it might be a week or so before I can get around to that.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter snapped one tonight of me wiring the phone jack. Have I ever mentioned what an Uber Geek I am?

By the way, I'd just like to point out that the phone jack I'm using here has been in my "stuff" box for probably about 15 or 20 years because I always knew it would "come in handy someday!"

Packrats Unite! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:

If we put all of our junk end to end we could reach around the world 2 or 3 times. Or make a sturdy walkway to the UK to visit Susan and Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:11 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
KittyR wrote:

If we put all of our junk end to end we could reach around the world 2 or 3 times. Or make a sturdy walkway to the UK to visit Susan and Les.

Wonder how many of us there are here. (Have an unused phone jack in my electrical toolbox myself. Anybody need a rusty 3/8" x 3" carriage bolt?)