Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:02 am 

I'm transfering a comment in response to my post (but put on another thread) so that it stays together with it. This will be helpful for reference in the future.

KittyR wrote:
Ok, I am WAY behind of responding to the recent clips - hope I don't forget anyone.

Keith - I like how you changed up each verse a little, and your playing does seem more relaxed on this than in other clips I've heard. Nice going.

I have an idea for you, if you happen to have a couple spare hours to spend. :)

You know how the 3rd verse had a little reverb added? I was thinking it would be neat to try and create the effect of two whistle players getting farther away and/or calling to one another as they go. So perhaps you'd set the 1st PHRASE of verse 1 panned almost all the way over to the left, with just a tad of reverb. The 2nd PHRASE (answering whistler) would be panned almost all the way over to the right. And so on.

Then for the 2nd and 3rd verses, just add more reverb to make them "farther away." Would that be cool?

I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to make a duplicate of your track, then pan one left and the other right, then delete the parts which the "other whistler" is supposed to be playing.

If you don't want to mess with it, perhaps I could give it a shot.

Kitty

I appreciate the comments. I'll have to look back and see how/why this seemed more relaxed than others.

I don't have time right now, or the know how, to fix up the clip in the way you suggest. But it sounds really interesting and if you'd like, please feel free to play around with it. I won't mind at all. (When I got through listening to my clip after I'd posted it, I thought it almost sounds like a parade passing, getting very close (with the Kerry Low Eb) and then getting further away.)
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk says:

Quote:
I did a version of this one, on my brand new Humphrey B.

And here it is:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ckhawk.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm 

Love those Humphrey whistles. It sounds great.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:25 am 

RonKiley wrote:
Love those Humphrey whistles. It sounds great.
Thanks, Ron. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 am 

Nice job, Blackhawk. (That includes the other hymns you've been posting, but that I am too busy to comment on.) I agree with Adrian that there is a real improvement in your playing in general over a year ago. There's always been spirit and feeling there, but you are catching the timing much more. I really do think it helps to record and hear yourself. It's helped (continues to help) me improve also.

P.S. I don't want you to get too excited about this, but in a little over a month, you'll be in Hawaii. Can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:39 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Blackhawk says:

Quote:
I did a version of this one, on my brand new Humphrey B.

And here it is:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ckhawk.mp3

Way to go Darvis. :thumbsup: =D> Nice indeed.

That's a great whistle tone. I'll be after a few Humpheys after I have boosted the Overton stock a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I agree with the others. The timing is great these days, Darvis.

What I've learned from Darvis' playing:

1. Tone is important.
2. Pay attention to the transitions between octaves. Make 'em smooth.

Your earliest recordings here payed careful attention to the above. Thanks for the good example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 am 

You are all way too kind. But thanks a million. :D I have indeed been working a lot on my playing, but I probably would have kept it in the closet if not for Keith. Over the past year I have recorded almost 150 tunes (repetitively....this tune on a Chieftain Bb, same tune on a Burke A, same tune on a....). I had no intention of posting any of them, but Keith has brought me out of the closet with his idea of a contest. :) Most of what I have recorded is Irish, now I'm working to catch up learning what I missed here. Thanks for waking me up, Keith!

One thing that has helped a LOT over the last months is to record a tune, then give my son the sheet music and have him listen as I hit "play." And then having him point out where I get off beat. Then working on it and recording it again and having him listen again. It's been priceless, and now I can even hear it myself sometimes. He's a music major in San Jose State.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:44 am 

khl wrote:
Nice job, Blackhawk. (That includes the other hymns you've been posting, but that I am too busy to comment on.) I agree with Adrian that there is a real improvement in your playing in general over a year ago. There's always been spirit and feeling there, but you are catching the timing much more. I really do think it helps to record and hear yourself. It's helped (continues to help) me improve also.

P.S. I don't want you to get too excited about this, but in a little over a month, you'll be in Hawaii. Can't wait.
Me too! I'm excited to meet you. I don't know how much time I'll have, but even if we don't get much time, it'll be very cool to shake your hand.