Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 am 
Site Admin

Ren, it took going through the Compleat O'Carolan ... I knew the tunes just couldn't come up the the names -- "Lord Inchiquin" and "Eleanor Plunkett". Very nice mix!

Shadoes ... neat rendition. Feels like it would have been right at home in the late 60's rock. Brought to mind "Crimson & Clover" by Tommy James & the Shondells... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:10 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Here's Ren-Tin-10's:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... ntin10.mp3

Here's what he says:

Quote:
All parts performed on a mountain dulcimer tuned D-G-d.

I did something similar to the last time, interspersing other tunes between the verses, except this time, instead of picking on the Byrds, I decided to pick on Turlough O'Carolan. ;)

Once again, you get to guess what the tunes are. Mr. Green

(Hint: They're both named after people. One is a member of nobility, and the other sounds similar to the title of a Beatles song. Neither are "Planxties".) ;)

I'm grateful for Judy's post as I missed your medley. I like it a lot as it sounds fun and it is very interesting how you blend the tunes together. More please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
Shadoes

Your midi equipment really does work well. It's all way beyond me so i take my hat off to you. You play your whistles very well but too quiet in my opinion. Perhaps you could magically make them a little louder with all your equipment. Just my non-expert opinion of course.

Thanks.

I can make them louder but it then overwhelms the mix. I played with just the mix for well over an hour trying to get the right balance for the sound I wanted. Unfortunaly right now the main problem with the whistle recording is the mic I have to use. Still have not gotten a good replacement after the second headset quit on me.

But since you asked. Go back and listen again. I added some compression to the whistle tracks which brings up the signal a bit. Then had to tweak the volume levels a bit so you could still here the guitar track :) But they are certainly louder now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:21 am 

shadoes wrote:
I can make them louder but it then overwhelms the mix. I played with just the mix for well over an hour trying to get the right balance for the sound I wanted. Unfortunaly right now the main problem with the whistle recording is the mic I have to use. Still have not gotten a good replacement after the second headset quit on me.

But since you asked. Go back and listen again. I added some compression to the whistle tracks which brings up the signal a bit. Then had to tweak the volume levels a bit so you could still here the guitar track :) But they are certainly louder now :)

O yes! :thumbsup: That's lovely!

CALLING EVERYONE - you simply HAVE to go and listen to the new supertweaked Shadoes clip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
shadoes wrote:

O yes! :thumbsup: That's lovely!

CALLING EVERYONE - you simply HAVE to go and listen to the new supertweaked Shadoes clip!

Thanks, I have decided though that I loath C naturals :) that little run took me forever just to get that smooth and I am still not happy with it. I was actually close to taping over half the hole so I could get the halfholing correct hehehe But in the end I did not.

You should have heard some of the unused tracks..like with my wife wrestling with the dog since she was unaware I was recording hehehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
Shadoes ... neat rendition. Feels like it would have been right at home in the late 60's rock. Brought to mind "Crimson & Clover" by Tommy James & the Shondells... :D

Interesting..to me it sounds like early Petra. Like right about the time The Coloring Song was released hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
Well once again I had to backtrack and restart what I wanted to do. Wanted to do some orchestral stuff but it wasn't working out really. Still haven't learned enough with the orchestra library just yet to get a good sound from it.

Anyway this is midi guitar, and my Obrien maple with some Reyburn thrown into the second verse.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... hadoes.mp3

THAT's MIDI guitar? :shock:

I'm listening as I type. VERY nice. I like the Obrien maple very much. Reyburn's nice, too.

Nice job making the guitar "picking" authentic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Here's another one from Keith:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... g2_khl.mp3

His blurb:

Quote:
this time with just the Dixon playing melody and alto harmony. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
THAT's MIDI guitar? :shock:

I'm listening as I type. VERY nice. I like the Obrien maple very much. Reyburn's nice, too.

Nice job making the guitar "picking" authentic.

The Obrien is pretty much the only D I play these days. Honestly at this point I could (and probably should..hmm) sell most of my other D's and just keep the Obrien and a back and be perfectly happy. Any time I reach for a D whistle it is the Obrien. If something happens to it you can bet I will be replacing it with another :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:58 pm 

Judy: You have answered correctly on both. 8)

Adrian: Simply un-fooled around with. I like that. I'll feed you more tune sandwiches in the future, too. 8) 8)

Shadoes: Love the super-tweaked version. It really got my attention. :mrgreen:

KHL: Like both renditions, but prefer the second, probably because the harmony line stays below the melody. I didn't hear any bad harmony notes in either version, though. 8) 8)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:43 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Thanks, I have decided though that I loath C naturals :) that little run took me forever just to get that smooth and I am still not happy with it. I was actually close to taping over half the hole so I could get the halfholing correct hehehe But in the end I did not.

Have you tried using thumbholes for the perfect C nat? There are others here that use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:47 pm 

Keith

That is very pretty. Hope you will treat us to more of the same. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
shadoes wrote:

Have you tried using thumbholes for the perfect C nat? There are others here that use them.

Don't own a whistle that has one :) and all the whistles I have seen that do come with one are out of my price range :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Admin

You can add it yourself if you're handy with tools, shadoes. Just drill a very small hole exactly halfway between the T1 & T2 holes in the back of the whistle, then enlarge it until you have a perfect C natural on the tuner. If the thought of doing it yourself makes you nervous, ask David what he would charge to add the Cnat hole. He likes keeping customers happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Keith, there is one major problem with your second version ... it's not long enough! Great harmony blend. I liked the first, love the second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:44 am 

Judy K wrote:
Keith, there is one major problem with your second version ... it's not long enough! Great harmony blend. I liked the first, love the second.

HERE HERE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:48 am 

Judy K wrote:
You can add it yourself if you're handy with tools, shadoes. Just drill a very small hole exactly halfway between the T1 & T2 holes in the back of the whistle, then enlarge it until you have a perfect C natural on the tuner. If the thought of doing it yourself makes you nervous, ask David what he would charge to add the Cnat hole. He likes keeping customers happy.

Shadoes

It really is very easy to do. Think of it, perfect C nat every time, more ornamentation options!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Well I can guarentee you there is NO WAY I am touching my beloved Obrien with a drill. :) And if anyone was going to do the work they would have to guarentee a replacement if it was messed up.

Might try it with one of the other whistles I have but not the Obrien.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:32 am 

shadoes wrote:
Well I can guarentee you there is NO WAY I am touching my beloved Obrien with a drill. :) And if anyone was going to do the work they would have to guarentee a replacement if it was messed up.

Might try it with one of the other whistles I have but not the Obrien.

It's best to practice on other people's whistles first. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Here's a harp version from Judy:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _judyk.mp3

She says:

Quote:
There is a version of "Come, Thou Almighty King" on the harp as requested by Adrian... Didn't have a lot of time to practice it ... tried to edit out most of the mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 pm 

I just had to play along Judy. That is so nice. It is my belief that all Irish girls should learn to play the harp. So far none of my kids, grand kids or great grand kids have taken it up.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm 

Nice Judy!!! You're doing very well with your harp!

Kathy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm 

WOW! Judy! Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is the most beautiful version yet. Your harp is always going to be the winner as there is nothing that can compete with it. The harp always ministers peace and joy to me when I hear it. Your playing is coming on nicely.

A very big well done. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

I agree. Judy, your harp is sooooo sweet!!! Your playing is coming along very well, and I SO enjoyed the harmonies, and how you built them. You can always get through my outer crust with a nice harmony. :D

Really nice. Do it again! In fact, I would love to hear you practice up by recording ALL the TPE songs...but I know I ask too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

:oops: Wow! :o

:D Thanks, y'all! If you only knew how much editing was needed to get it to that point ... :roll:

ALL the TPE songs?! :shock: Hmmm .... not any time soon, okay? The dulcimer would be easier and more likely than the harp. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next