Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: key of A
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 pm 

What key of whistle is the best to use when you want to play in the key of A, if you want to avoid half-holing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

An A whistle. :mrgreen: Or an E whistle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 pm 

An A whistle. The key of A is possibly one of the nicest of all whistle keys and the A whistle is a great alternative for playing tunes in the key of D without half holing.

Chieftain A is one of my favorites.

A major is very easy to play on a D whistle, depending on the tune range of course. It only requires half holing the G which is one of the easiest notes to half hole. A harmonic minor is even easier on a D whistle as it needs no half holes but just the C nat 0XX000.

As Connie said (and she is the expert) you could use an E whistle, but that would not be my first choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

I have a Dixon Mezzo A whistle --- one of my favorites. I usually take the easy route and use "needing a different key" for getting a new whistle and not mess with any mental transcribing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am 

That sounds like a very good idea to me..... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 pm 

To be contrarian, I prefer to play A on an E whistle, especially a low E. The only half-holing required is to make a D natural out of the D#, which requires half-holing the first hole left (or upper) hand. I frequently like to drop a fifth below the tonic, and this allows for that. It would be a little difficult if I wanted to play A major with an occasional flatted seventh, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:17 pm 

jimwasson wrote:
It would be a little difficult if I wanted to play A major with an occasional flatted seventh, though.

Why? Because you have to half hole the G? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm 

I'm doing well to get a clear note half-holing the minor seventh to the tonic key on a whistle. To half-hole to get a G on an E whistle - the note is just not at all clear when I play it. Also, on most of the whistles I play, the 5th hole is quite small, rendering it even more difficult.

Of course, all of this could likely be remedied if a little more time was spent in practicing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 pm 

jimwasson wrote:
I'm doing well to get a clear note half-holing the minor seventh to the tonic key on a whistle....
I'd be doing well to understand half those words, in a music context. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:20 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
jimwasson wrote:
I'm doing well to get a clear note half-holing the minor seventh to the tonic key on a whistle....

You'll be pleased to know that very soon a music theory workshop will be run in our very own PWA! The above terms will probably be covered very early on, I'm guessing, when we learn about scales and intervals. Do join in and all will be explained.

Look at the worshop forum and you can see the name of the textbook Shadoes has chosen for us to work through. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:12 am 

Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
jimwasson wrote:

You'll be pleased to know that very soon a music theory workshop will be run in our very own PWA! The above terms will probably be covered very early on, I'm guessing, when we learn about scales and intervals. Do join in and all will be explained.

Look at the worshop forum and you can see the name of the textbook Shadoes has chosen for us to work through. :D
I'm looking forward to trying to understand it all. Years ago I bought Music theory for dummies, but I couldn't even understand the first couple of chapters. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Half-holing sounds "dirtier" on some whistles and cleaner on others. You just have to try the whistles you have.

Why would you want to half-hole the seventh when you could just cross-finger it? I never understood that. If someone has insight, I'd love to know.

I sometimes like to flatten the sixth, which means half-holing your fifth hole, but that's only when playing blues, and then you can slide into and out of it, meaning you just stop when it sounds right. Kind of the cheater's half-holing. I've used it for other half-holing needs, too, but it lends itself really nicely to blues, where all sorts of sliding around is heartily accepted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Why would you want to half-hole the seventh when you could just cross-finger it? I never understood that. If someone has insight, I'd love to know.

How would you cross finger a flattened 7th in the second octave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't. With permanent tinnitis, I don't play any whistle that high. Granted, I don't have any whistle lower than a mezzo G....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:07 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
I wouldn't. With permanent tinnitis, I don't play any whistle that high. Granted, I don't have any whistle lower than a mezzo G....

Ouch! I'm very sorry for you. Anyway, that's one reason for half holing the flattened 7th even if you cross finger in the first octave. The other main reason is for sliding in and out of the note. It is very easy to half hole this note as you just roll the whistle between finger and thumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

Ouch! I'm very sorry for you. Anyway, that's one reason for half holing the flattened 7th even if you cross finger in the first octave. The other main reason is for sliding in and out of the note. It is very easy to half hole this note as you just roll the whistle between finger and thumb.

Thanks, Adrian. It's no biggie, really. I just fill my days with music and birdsong and good conversation, and I don't think about it too much. Of course, I do wish I could be still and know that God is God in a more silent way sometimes (silence has become something of an enemy), but I look forward to the great, thunderous silences of heaven.

And, yes, I can see the advantage of being able to slide in and out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:06 pm 

Ok, nice excuse to get another Dixon whistle (British or not, I like them!). An A whistle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:52 am 

zoukie wrote:
Ok, nice excuse to get another Dixon whistle (British or not, I like them!). An A whistle.

Do get one Zoukie! I love mine. :D

Kathy :)