Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:17 pm 

Nice job Connie .... sounds like you had the whole band .... I never could afford even one extra player ... Myrna only gives me a quarter a week .. couldn't blow the savings on one song! :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

I think you can do the same on Noteworthy, Keith. I just find Finale easier to use, maybe because it's the first one I had. In Finale (I have the PrintMusic version) I have to decide what instruments I want to work with first, so a staff line will be provided. If I pick flute & harp, the score starts out with treble for flute and a treble & bass for harp ... so they will be three parts I need to write out to make the music. After the score is done, you can change the harp or flute sound to piano, violins or anything else in your instrument list. After you decide the sound & speed you like, it can all be exported as an audio file. Audacity can pick that up and record over it.

Maybe Connie has an easier way to work the program. She has one that a few steps above mine, and she a lot more knowledgeable in this stuff than I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Top of the line Finale is about $600 US, but you can get it for half of that if you ask nicely with school or church letterhead, with proof that you are authorized by the school or church to get it. I got rights to put it on two computers, a school computer and my laptop.

My experience is very much like Judy's. A feature the full version has is the ability to output it directly as an mp3 wav or midi file. That way you don't have to worry about those little computer freezes that cause Finale's playback to hesitate and mess up your timing. Another feature full version has is "human playback" which does a fair job of simulating expressive playing. I think it's using reverb and maybe some pitchbending to soften the midi into a more expressive sound. Although really, Judy's Finale pieces sound tons better than your average midi file you can get off the internet.

The other thing mine will do is let me plug in a keyboard and play my piece while Finale notates it. You can also use your microphone to play an instrument like your pennywhistle while Finale notates it. Then you can turn it into whatever instrument you want. I really haven't played much with that feature. I'd rather notate. I don't know if Judy can choose to import a midi file or not. That can be useful, although I don't use that feature too much either.

Judy and I both can choose from 128 general midi sounds--piano types, different strings, synthesizers, brass instruments, drums, etc., to choose once you've got your notes written out. I've also seen where you can create more sounds, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I have been known to end up with over 200 little midi pieces to choose from in putting something together, although that level of busywork definitely saps the fun out of projects.

If I weren't teaching I wouldn't pay the full price for Finale, but it's VERY useful for putting together homemade programs and producing CDs of the kids and teaching them about notation and stuff. It's also been useful for my own personal downtime. :mrgreen:

Finale Notepad doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it's free and you can imput notes and have it play them for Audacity to record. You might try downloading that and see if you like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Let's see, PrintMusic has the 'human playback', can transpose a midi into sheet music (you can end up with a huge score sometimes), has the Mic Notator (but gives some very strange notes -- that could just be my playing), says it is keyboard capable (haven't tried it).

The price is $100US. Most Finale products have a free 30 day trial period with full features available for use, prior to purchase. I started with Notepad, upgraded to SongWriter, then upgraded to PrintMusic. I just upgraded again to the PrintMusic 2007. It seems to be a little easier to use than the previous version, which was easy enough.

It's a great program to play around with, if you have time to spare.

I think Mark uses Noteworthy for his website. He might be able tell you more about the features available in that program. Me -- I'm just a Finale pusher ... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin

I would like to try Sibelius which is Finale's main competition. There is also Overture from GEnie soft. I have an SE version of that I am going to try. From the reviews I have read the human playback in the latest finale 2008 is even better than that in 2007. I have an older version than that and need to get the bucks to upgrade. hehe also need to try to use my graphics tablet as a note entry tool for quicker access to the tool bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:35 am 

ConnieS wrote:
I've been waiting for my new microphone, and it's here and working, so now I'm catching up.

Here's mine:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... onnies.mp3

Medley with Morning Has Broken, tagged with When Morning Gilds tag in 6/8 time. All whistle was done with a $3 Meg.

Sorry, Judy, I'm addicted to harp. I can't quit finding ways to use Finale's midi harp.

Am eagerly awaiting that next genuine harp piece. :D
Wow! Wonderful, Connie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments. The reason for the Meg was, school's starting in a few weeks. Students do like to give excuses when their work is subpar, and a common excuse is, "It's this WHISTLE! If I had YOUR whistle, I'd do a lot better!" I will usually play the Meg live for them, but I thought it'd be nice to have a produced piece with a bit of reverb, etc., to show what a bottom-end whistle can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:58 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
I've been waiting for my new microphone, and it's here and working, so now I'm catching up.

Here's mine:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... onnies.mp3

Medley with Morning Has Broken, tagged with When Morning Gilds tag in 6/8 time. All whistle was done with a $3 Meg.

Sorry, Judy, I'm addicted to harp. I can't quit finding ways to use Finale's midi harp.

Am eagerly awaiting that next genuine harp piece. :D

Totally cool.
And it includes Morning has Broken! Doubly cool.