Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: O-O-O-Ocarina where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:15 am 

Just a question out to you all. Is there any value in having an Ocarina in the whistle collection? Does anyone have one? How is it playing hymns/songs on? How does it sound accompanying a whistle? I saw one of Erik the Flutemakers' last year and have always been curious about it.

Looking at wikipedia, I discovered it's the instrument that's prevalent in the Clint Eastwood movie Good Bad, and Ugly tune.

It's also the solo instrument in the Troggs' Wild Thing. (some useless head knowledge for ya)

I'm always interested in unique instruments, and since I don't have alot of space, the smaller the better.

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am 
Site Admin

I haven't had much luck playing an ocarina ... but Walden did have an ocarina board much like this, if I remember correctly. They certainly are interesting looking instruments. You won't know until you try one .... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 am 

Judy K wrote:
I haven't had much luck playing an ocarina ... but Walden did have an ocarina board much like this, if I remember correctly. They certainly are interesting looking instruments. You won't know until you try one .... :D

Here's Walden playing Wayfaring Stranger (from the sound clips area): http://praisewhistlers.org/clips/wayfaringstranger.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
Judy K wrote:

Here's Walden playing Wayfaring Stranger (from the sound clips area): http://praisewhistlers.org/clips/wayfaringstranger.mp3

Wow ... I didn't know that was done on a ocarina --- (or I had forgotten ... :roll:) . It sounds (to my ear) like a Native American flute. One of my favorites clips -- simply beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I have one but don;t get a lot of time to actually play it. I did take a D whistle with me when I got it to try and at least get close to the key of D on the ocarina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 am 

Wow! that clip sounds beautiful! I might have to break into the piggy bank and get one!

Thanks!

Jorg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am 

Went to Ebay and checked them out .... seems to be a lot of variety in shape and the number of holes.

Walden ... if you are around ... little advice on what works and does it cross to whistle music ... different keys??? And ... that clip sounds great ... and I agree ... does sound like a NA flute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:21 pm 

sounds lovely........such a rich and haunting sound....Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 pm 

I have a few but I don't play them a lot. I was in Bulgaria recently where in one area they are considered to be a traditionaly instrument and they are played with great skill. They have up to 10 holes out here but I have one from Peru with only 4 holes.

Post subject: Re: O-O-O-Ocarina where the wind comes sweeping down the pla
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a link: http://four.fsphost.com/ocland/

Jorg wrote:
Looking at wikipedia, I discovered it's the instrument that's prevalent in the Clint Eastwood movie Good Bad, and Ugly tune.

It's also the solo instrument in the Troggs' Wild Thing. (some useless head knowledge for ya)

I wrote that section of Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Actually, I recommend the traditional sweet potato kind. It's fingering is pretty intuitive, similar to a whistle, and not only easier to learn, but better for doing ornamentation. The 4, 5, or 6 hole ones have only about a single octave range, and I'd only recommend that fingering if you want an extra small instrument, and the fewer holes fit better in the space.

My preference is the 12-hole sweet potato, which has the widest range of all ocarinas, nearly two octaves. I recommend the following supplier:

http://www.stlocarina.com/ocarina-by-type-12-hole.html

The 10-hole sweet potato is the standard form of the instrument, and if you can find one of these that's made in Italy or the USA, they are usually pretty good. There is a large supply of antique Austrian-made ones that play pretty nicely, too, to be had from eBay or the like.

I specifically don't recommend the American-made plastic ocarinas or the various South American ocarinas sold in tourist shops.

Judy K wrote:
It sounds (to my ear) like a Native American flute.

It's just the playing style. That ocarina is one of the antique Austrian ones I mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Jorg wrote:
I saw one of Erik the Flutemakers' last year and have always been curious about it.
I didn't know he made them. Does he use bamboo? I am curious too.

Oh... I also have this one:

Go to this page: http://www.ocarina.com.tw and click on the picture of a white ocarina at the bottom right, in order to see and hear a video of this model being played.

It has a unique fingering system, but I like this ocarina a lot. You can order this type from St. Louis School of Music too, though they've gone up on their price since I got mine. I'm not affiliated with the St. Louis school, but they are really the only ones I know of who are importing these.

American ocarina makers I've dealt with and like include Spencer Register and Karen Dunster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:23 am 

Walden wrote:
Jorg wrote:

I wrote that section of Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

quote]

But it's on the internet, so it MUST be true!

Seriously, thanks for the information Walden, I think I'll look into it a little more and add 1 to my collection.

God Bless,

Jorg