Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Favorite places to shop online
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:30 pm 

I'm shopping around now for some whistles (looking at getting a set of nickel Generations, and maybe an Original unpainted Clark), and so far it seems to me that The Whistle Shop is the cheapest.
Where are your favorite places to shop online and why? I want to make sure I'm getitng the best deal before placing an order. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 pm 

This place isn't bad either: http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/index.asp

And this: http://www.whistleanddrum.com/default.aspx

And the links here also will take you to good places: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Buying.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:10 pm 

I've used Whistle and Drum three times and like it very much. The owner of the Whistle Shop just had a massive heart attack recently, so they might not be very good about filling orders quickly. At the time I discovered Whistle and Drum, I did not have internet at home. The were even willing to play whistles I was interested in over the phone a little bit because of my lack of internet.

Post subject: a little note
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:13 pm 

The owners of Whistle and Drum are on vacation until the 14, so if you place an order before that, it won't get shipped untill the 15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:11 pm 

Some places I shop Image (when I have money, that is):

Elderly Instruments
Tayberry Music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Everyone has covered my favorite spots. The Whistle Shop will always be # 1 to me. Thom Larson is a great person. I haven't ordered since his heart attack earlier this year, though. Whistle and Drum is also a good place, as well as Elderly Music. Have never had a problem with any of the three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:54 pm 

My favorite is PWA and Chip and Fipple .... some good deals to be found if you look for them.

I wonder what the record is for different owners on a whistle sold on either site???? I would suspect that BlackHawk owned them all at one timer or other ... LOL!!!

Post subject: Sara
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 pm 

I just got my set of nickel generations from Whistle Shop in the mail. It took about a week. I like them, but as I asked in my first post, the upper register is all airy sounding and not that pretty on the higher ones. There may be something to the wise ones who suggest tweaks. I do like the C and the Bb.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Don, the Generations all have that airish rasp. That's what everyone calls the "traditional" sound. Personally, it's not what I like in whistles. My favorite among the cheaper whistles are in the Dixon line-up -- The Trad, the plastic tunable. They both have a purer sound than a Gen. Almost everyone fills the cavity under the airway (the blue-tac tweak) ... that helps a little.

Tommy is the tweak-meister here. He has worked wonders with Gens and Feadogs. Another way to tame an unruly Generation whistle is to order a whitecap from Mack Hoover, whistle-maker extraordinaire. Amazing amount of talent in these 2 gentlemen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:49 am 

My favorite online shop is Bigwhistle. They have just finished their holiday and are back in the UK. They take their holidays in Greece so they could have brought my order to the airport!

Other whistles I get from source: Burkes, Overtons and Susatos. All of these have good online service IMO.

Reading your comments about the Gens makes me want to suggest that you save your moolah and buy a Burke. I think you'll love the high quality and pure sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 am 

Celtic Lass, I have bought several whistles from the Whistle Shop, and returned two (one that I SHOULD have kept) and they were always courteous and fast in delivery.
And don't leave that Clarke original without a home! To me, they are the absolute best of the cheapies, with the famous "thumbnail tweak" applied immediately after delivery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 am 
Site Admin

CL,

I had a good experience Hobgoblin USA, and my wife got a gift for me from Song of the Sea - I think they're in your part of the world:

http://www.songsea.com/

PWA has also been most kind to me - Garry, are you lurking there? :D !

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:41 am 

I really prefer Big whistle when I want to shop whistles, because they have such great search functions, you don't need to browse around a lot, you can just fill in form if you want a specific key, maker, high/low, and you'll get them on one page. I like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Admin

http://www.amazon.com

Oh, is this about whistles? :mrgreen: