Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: balloons ... balloons ... ballons
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:06 am 

Well ...here are a few of the balloons I saw ... was really a fun two days. They were flying very low to drop markers on targets and then climb rapidly to avoid trees and power wires. If the weather had been better would have been another 3 days but they had to stop the contest because of the bad weather. For some reason .. they don't like to fly when it is lightening! :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Finally! 8)

I love seeing hot air balloons in the sky. Never want to be in one, but watching them is fun ... and safe ... both feet on the ground is a good thing. :D

Nice pictures, Jim. It would be hard to picture a favorite ... #3, #10 & #13 seem to grab my fancy a bit more (but not much) than the rest. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:28 pm 

The one advertising "Curves"....I'm not sure a hot air balloon is the appropriate place for such an ad. Me thinks it gives the wrong impression! (balloon out with us at CURVES!) Naw....they should find another advertising medium.

In all things God works for good... Romans 8:28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm 

Karen wrote:
The one advertising "Curves"....I'm not sure a hot air balloon is the appropriate place for such an ad. Me thinks it gives the wrong impression! (balloon out with us at CURVES!) Naw....they should find another advertising medium.

:laughing:

Actually they had 3 balloons flying ... said they were like a NASCAR racing team .... Had Jimmy .... Jeff ... and Junior ... if you follow racing you will know what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Love these pictures, Jim. We get a balloon festival in October. I just got a teleconverter for my old 35 mm, but I don't know that I'll get pictures that good. Those are big, billowy and colorful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 pm 

Those balloons weren't captured using zoom for the most part ... they were flying that low! Find out where the targets are in your show and try to be there ... they drop down low to toss out the markers .. closer to the target means more points and accuracy increases with less height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:22 pm 

Nice pix, Jim! Good job! How many mega pixel is your camera? I just got a new one today that's 7.1. All my previous pix were taken on a 4.1 so I'm interested to see the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:10 am 

Jim

It looks like you are having way too much fun! Nice pix. I'm still jealous of your IS. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:52 am 

Judy said: (I love seeing hot air balloons in the sky. Never want to be in one, but watching them is fun ... )

Great pics Jim! Judy, I actually felt the same way as you. I'm 6'5" and terrified of heights. (I'm also afraid of widths :mrgreen: )

But in the balloon, it wasn't a big deal. The pilot said it had something to do with the fact that there was no reference to the ground, like a rope or a ladder, to tell you how far it was. Also the balloons are always trying to land, and it takes alot of work and flame to keep them up.

I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's so quiet and peaceful, and you get a wonderful view of God's creation.

Jorg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:20 am 

great pict! remind me of ye ole albuquerque days. we lived there for 10 years and the highlight of every year was the balloon fiesta. i was able to help crew a couple of times.

my favorite memory was waking up one saturday morning to the "whoosh" sound of the balloon burning. it was flying right over our house and was low enough that we could shout out to those on board if they wanted a cup of coffee! we met them across the street in the open field with fresh brewed coffee! it was great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 pm 

Great pictures Jim. However I can't help but wonder if I should ask or not... But how long would it take you to fill one with bantering hot air, and make it fly. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:26 pm 

Tommy wrote:
Great pictures Jim. However I can't help but wonder if I should ask or not... But how long would it take you to fill one with bantering hot air, and make it fly. ;)

In other words, Tommy wants to help next time. :-'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 pm 

khl wrote:
Tommy wrote:

In other words, Tommy wants to help next time. :-'

Rim Shot ...followed by a loud HMMMMMMMM! =D> =D> :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:27 am 

Be careful Jim, we know you are capable of overfilling the balloon and gaining the height award. But to much and y'all might break it or not be able to come down for a long time. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 am 

Tommy wrote:
Be careful Jim, we know you are capable of overfilling the balloon and gaining the height award. But to much and y'all might break it or not be able to come down for a long time. :lol:

No worries Tommy .... I got it under control ... really the only ones that have to worry are the politicians .. they have burst many a ballon with their hot air. :D