Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Where's the whistle?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 pm 

As I've become more familiar with the board, I've noticed we've tended to stray away from whistle in our conversation. Please don't think that I think we should talk about nothing but whistle. In fact, it's because we've begun to share our lives with each other that we've gotten so close, but I think it would be great to get back to the hobby that brings us together. I know Waldon had some concerns about doing whistle reviews, but I think it could be a great way to bring new members to PWA, and thereby evangelize if done in a posative way. I'm not saying we shouldn't stop talking about daily life with each other. As I said before, that helps us come closer to each other. Connie and I talked about all this, and we decided that a new forum strictly deticated to shop talk might be a good idea. This type of conversation was what I hoped to find when I joined PWA initially. I think people would find posative whistle reviews a nice change from the harsh criticism that goes on on C and F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I don't even visit C&F, it's way too huge for my preference. I just let Lisa tell me whenever there's something funny or entertaining going on there and then I'll go take a look at the thread.

The conversation here gets around to whistle shop talk regularly in my opinion, but probably not as in-depth as what you're looking for. If you guys would like to form another forum dedicated more for that, I believe there is still room for that on the PWA hosting account. It would be a good idea to check with Dana though to confirm that.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see a problem with doing honest whistle reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Oh wait... were you talking about simply adding another section to PWA for shoptalk, like the workshops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well, yeah, like we have "Whistler's Toolbox." The thing about Whistler's Toolbox is we have all kinds of things that are useful in there, like recording mics, other instruments, and that sort of thing. If somebody comes in just wanting to learn more about whistling, they have to sort through a bunch of other junk. Maybe we could divide whistlers toolbox into two sections--Whistles Only and something else for other useful tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Whistle reviews are a little ... hmmm ... subjective to me. No two people really have the same opinions of what they want in a whistle or even in what they hear in a whistle. For unbiased whistle reviews, I usually just check the ones Wanderer has on his website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ok guys, I made a uni-lateral decision and rearranged the furniture once again... so if I need to be called on that, just say so and I will pull it back and give it time for agreement from all.

But here's my thinking.

First, I think Josh is right, we do need a more technical, shop-talk kind of area here. There may be folks out there who are not necessarily Christians and aren't really all that interested in becoming one, but who also don't appreciate the sometimes combative or hostile atmosphere of the Chiff board. Why not host shop-talk for them here in our genuinely friendly little corner of the web?

Second, it has been mentioned on different occasions in different threads that whistle reviews are very subjective, and two people can sharply disagree over any whistle. Well...... why don't we just say that? As in, "here is my opinion after my experience, does anyone have a different point of view?"

What do you all think?

Kitty

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Second, it has been mentioned on different occasions in different threads that whistle reviews are very subjective, and two people can sharply disagree over any whistle. Well...... why don't we just say that? As in, "here is my opinion after my experience, does anyone have a different point of view?"

It's all in how you write the review. If I say "Susatos are the best." That's not a good review. If I say, "I like Susatos because of their full round tone and the fact that they are PVC and therefore easy to clean and seem to be relatively unaffected by temperature fluxuations, and I add the fact that I'm a newbie and I've really only played Susatos, Oaks and Generations," that might be helpful to someone. And of course it's good to add an IMHO and YMMV.

I know that there are lots of different whistles out there, and I'd love to hear why people choose the ones they do.

-Martinique

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Post subject: Re: Where's the whistle?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:04 pm 

:oops: Finally, an explanation as to the meaning of "YMMV"! I was going to ask you what it meant (after seeing it many, many times before and not knowing) until I saw your explanation at the end of your post!!! Thanks, Martinique!!!

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/