Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Take a Camera (pretty birds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

A few minutes ago I got a call that my kids were welcome to go down to the neighbor's house to swim, so I suited them, we walked outdoors and I watched them walk to the neighbors'.

As I was standing there a lady was looking over some construction going on (new house going up next to mine). We talked about it, chit-chatted and I mentioned where I work, and she said, "Oh, I knew you must be a Christian by your smile!" :D Anyhow, we chatted some more and I ended up going on her walk with her. She lives on the next street, has been in the neighborhood for four years and is hungry for good Christian fellowship. So we came to her house and she mentioned the hummingbirds that visit her in the mornings. I thought, "Hummingbirds? We don't get hummingbirds around here." But she has a couple of little flowering trees that she says attract them.

We walked around a bit and looked at her garden. I've actually admired her landscaping for years. I SO-O-O wished I'd brought a camera.

We agreed that our meeting was God-sent, and I now have a Christiian neighbor to chat and walk with.

I said goodbye and on the way home I passed another flowering tree, and there he was! A little hummingbird drawing his supper. And me with no camera.

So even if you just intend to walk outside and stand in your driveway, take a camera!!!!!

Hey, please pray for her husband. He's come out of the second of four rounds of chemo, and is getting ready for the third. He's very sick and unable to eat much. We didn't talk about what kind of cancer. I'll ask her when we visit Saturday.

Last edited by ConnieS on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:05 pm 

I know these aren't hummingbirds but here is a picture to make up for it. It was taken by my wife in our back yard.

Shalom,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Awwww!! Cockatoos? They look so happy together. :D

Adrian, tell Susan to come look at the pretty birds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:13 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Awwww!! Cockatoos? They look so happy together. :D

Adrian, tell Susan to come look at the pretty birds!

Yes, they're a pair of forest red-tailed black cockatoos. Scientific name: Calyptorhynchus banksii subspecies naso. The local aboriginal (Noongar) name is Karrak (emphasize the first syllable; pronounce a as in media, rr as in sporran). With thanks to the NatureBase web site http://www.naturebase.net/ for these details.

They spent quite a while up there together, preening each other and even "kissing". The chewed bits on the end of the branch they are sitting on was their work, too.

Shalom,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Very nifty picture, Ian! It's great to see the pictures from the different parts of the world and see what God has reserved just for the folks in that area.

Post subject: Re: Take a Camera (pretty birds)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:26 am 

ConnieS wrote:
I said goodbye and on the way home I passed another flowering tree, and there he was! A little hummingbird drawing his supper. And me with no camera.

There is a humming bird that loves the bottle brush I have planted by the door.She will sometimes hover there and "fuss" at me for a few seconds at a time. I would love to get a picture but somehow her and her friends know when I have my camera and just will not cooperate. I usually get 4 varieties here, but the ruby-throated are my favorite.

On a side note there is also some type of moth that has come around a few times that is worth mentioning. It looks and moves a lot like a humming bird..... very fast. I thought it was a baby hummer until I noticed it has no beak and 6 legs, can't find any information yet.... not sure what to type in Google to search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Micheal, putting "hummingbird like moth" into a Google search brought up this website that mentions 3 varieties, plus the usually 248,999 other links. ;)

Post subject: Re: Take a Camera (pretty birds)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Micheal wrote:
On a side note there is also some type of moth that has come around a few times that is worth mentioning. It looks and moves a lot like a humming bird..... very fast. I thought it was a baby hummer until I noticed it has no beak and 6 legs, can't find any information yet.... not sure what to type in Google to search.

My dad told me that when he was a teenager, here in northeast Oklahoma, he caught what he thought to be a hummingbird, only to discover it was an insect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:49 am 

Judy K wrote:
Micheal, putting "hummingbird like moth" into a Google search brought up this website that mentions 3 varieties, plus the usually 248,999 other links. ;)

Thanks Judy, that was one combination of words I hadn't tried.... I have learned a lot about moths when I have tried searching before... more than I care to know actually.

The one(s) that come around here look a lot like the Snowberry clear wing moth in shape, but have a greenish-brown body coloring and have never stopped flapping their wings for me to see what they look like. I guess I need to set my camcorder up and see if I can capture any of this on tape and then see what I can pull off if I do a frame-by-frame... great... another way to spend time I don't seem to have lately :shock: :mrgreen: