Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Just Got a Love F
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 pm 

Since the middle of June I bought a Dixon Low D, six nickel generations, replaced a Feadog high D I gave to a young friend, and today took delivery on a Wicked Low F Whistle from the Wistlesmith in Maine.

The price is right, I like the look and feel, the sound is very nice, I finally own something that is breathy. Very good tone, easy to cover the holes with finger pads. I like it. Louder than the Dixon both low and high register, The two piece fipple system is kind of unique and the fipple has an angle, plus the fipple plug has some kind of texture that helps it stay on your lip. The smaller bore looks and feels nice. It is so far everything it was advertised as on his site. Less than a week in the order process, came 3 day air in a nice triangular box which I am saving when I sell my dixon and spend some big bucks next year on a dream low d. Whoa???!!!!
Help me.

Don in AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 pm 

Congrats. I like the key of F a lot. What is your dream D?

Post subject: Dream Whistle?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:19 am 

Adrian,

Hard to say what I would buy if I was really buying high end. Maybe in a year I will want something very flutey sounding, or maybe I will be more interested in the look, ie. something without a plastic fipple. If I start playing with others, which I would like to do since my life as a pastor is so stuck in the communion of the saints, I might get a really nice high D.

I still have a desire to buy something I have actually held and played so I will probably get something at a festival or a music store, or some instrument that an owner has allowed me to play.

Thanks for asking.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:00 pm 

I have a Susato low F, but I don't like it much. It's too flutey for me, and it's hard to cover the holes enough. I rather like the sound of Carries and Chieftan low F's that I've heard, but those are a little out of my price range, I've played a Cary low D and found it hard, and I don't think they're quite right for Christian music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:23 am 
Site Admin

whistlenut wrote:
I don't think they're quite right for Christian music.

Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:36 pm 

I have an Alba low F and I love it. Like most whistles it took awhile to get used to it. I also have a Dixon low G that I also like. I would buy an Overton or an Alba before I would buy a Kerry or Chieftain.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:48 pm 

jrc wrote:
whistlenut wrote:
I don't think they're quite right for Christian music.

Really?

What he said. That's interesting, I'd like to hear what you mean. Also, what do you mean by Christian music? Hymns? CCM? Gregorian Chant? I mean Christian music's been around for centuries, there's quite a lot of variety after all. Not to say that there isn't a common thread running through it all, owing to the Holy Spirit.

Web Page: http://yeruvan.googlepages.com
Blog: http://chiasticsarcast.livejournal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:33 pm 

This is just my personal opinion after hearing and playing them, but I don't think Carries are quite right for hymns. They seem a little too rough for them. It's funny, because I was playing my Susato this Saturday, and I found the tone rather nice! If I had the hang of it, I think that would be a very nice whistle to do a hymn on for church. It sounds kind of like a Carry, but mellower and not nearly as egressive. That, I guess, is why I think Carries are wrong for hymns, because they're too egressive.