Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:51 am 

Blackhawk: A great choice of hymn. The whistle has a nice tone.

Jim: Did you write this song yourself? I echo Connie's comments.

Walden: How can you play whistle and tabor at the same time? I'm sure I'd drop the whistle if I tried. Well played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Susan -

That song was written while on a Worship at Sea cruise in 2005 by a class in songwriting led by Tommy Walker. My wife, Karen, actually had more input on it than I did. Originally it followed the Psalm "Where can I go from your Spirit...", but it felt odd singing that in a worship service, so I asked her to change it, hence the 'wherever I go' line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Walden -- very cool! I still don't understand how you get all those notes from a tabor pipe. 8)

jrc -- great song! Thanks for sharing an original composition. :D

:-k ..... for some reason Blackhawk's won't play for me. I get one note and it stops. I'll try again later and see what happens ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

I was thinking at lunch about how playing for people 'in the world' as a secular musician and playing in a 'christian' environment differ, and how much more pleasant it in now than then, and specifically how very blessed I've been to find this place in particular.

Just wanted you guys to know.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 pm 

jrc wrote:
shadoes wrote:
As long as we are not making money from this we are fine. I can for example sing any song I want on stage and have to pay no one money for it. Posting sheet music is a nono but honestly since we are making no money, I doubt it will cause a problem is someone records something for posting here.

That's not altogether true - many venues I've played that routinely offer live music have purchased licenses from BMI or ASCAP. Addtionally, churches buy licenses from CCLI to allow use of copywritten material. I do think that there is some 'fair use' doctrine that applies if we are not selling recordings, and CCLI allows for recording for 'congregational use'. You can also reproduce for sale recordings, but you're limited to 15% of your registered church size in terms of how many you can sell. Also the price is limited to $4.00, I think.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken - we're about to begin recording services for distribution to the congregation by CD.

You're not so much mistaken as confusing the different parts of copyright law.

Firstly, since this forum is hosted in the USA (I think?), we need to follow US copyright law. I'm not from the US, so can't comment on the specifics, but can offer some general thoughts.

0 There are international copyright conventions (translated into laws in individual countries) that allow us to play anything we want, in private places, or private situations. So I can play a copyrighted tune for my own amusement in the park ... but I can't play for an audience in the park. (Do NOT even begin to think about the difference between an audience and the four people who just happened to be within earshot, it's not as simply as "pays money to be there" in many countries.)

1 There are international copyright conventions (translated into laws in individual countries) that allow us to PLAY pieces of music (either live of from CDs) in CHURCH as part of WORSHIP.

2 There are performance-licencing organsiations that sell licences that let you play music in public places other than church. For example, in pubs (the band in the corner need to be covered, even if there's no cover-charge), or hold-music in switchboards, or playing the radio in workplaces. Many churches buy these licences to cover things like weddings receptions, ie the bits outside worship that aren't covered by 2)

3 Totally separate from 2), CCLI and suchlike began by providing licences that let us make copies of the words and/or the music-notation, in specific circumstances. (Remember, copyright for the words and for the tune and for specific instances of the notation may be held by totally different people.)

4 The web has opened up the issue of making copies (CDs, MP3s etc) of someone playing a particular tune. The type of licence needed for this is different again from that in 3) I understand that in some countries, CCLI is offering licencing that covers this. I don't know if it's for all songs that they cover for 3), but I have a feeling that it might not be - composers/copyright owners may not be as happy to sell the rights for this as for their words and published tunes. There are also other mechanical-licencing organisations that licence such things, and there is a growing body of such organisations that licence web-hosted versions of tunes. I'm not sure if any of them licence web-hosting of notated versions of tunes, though. ("Notation" can be anything from a simple ABC toa full orchestral score!)

But the key point is that the "standard" CCLI licence doesn't (necessarily) cover this - you may well have to buy a separate licence for web-hosted versions of tunes or disributed CDs vs for displaying words.

Ouch - my head hurts just thinking about this. Sooo much easier to just stick with a "nothing written post 1922" rule! :)

Post subject: whistle comp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:46 am 

The song from jrc and his wife is beautiful. I'm often amazed at how many beautiful songs people keep coming up with, all inspired by the word of God.
On another note, how long is the competition running. I am going to be getting a digital recorder soon (hopefully in a few weeks) and I will be finally able to record in mp3. At the moment I can only record in wav and don't have a converter. I will play something on my Irish flute the minute I get it and submit it, although I think the song will be hard to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:13 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words Allyson.

There's a ton of free wav to mp3 converters on the internet. Audacity has one, I think it's titled "LAME' or something similar. I use Cakewalk Pyro - it cost about 40.00 US, but it also does a lot of other stuff that you may not use. I wasn't impressed the the Audacity converter, but I really didn't spend a lot of time with it either.

Blessings-

jrc

Edit:

the 'LAME' software is intended, I believe, to operate as a plug-in for Audacity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 am 
Site Admin

I seem to recall LAME has a standalone converter you can use as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
I seem to recall LAME has a standalone converter you can use as well.

Maybe that's my problem :shock: .

Post subject: Lame converter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:07 am 

We downloaded Audacity and can use it with our computer but my husband had difficulty with LAME. Not sure if it's a MAC thing, sometimes the software that is supposed to be available to MAC and PC doesn't always work well on MAC. I've yet to come across another MAC user who can answer my question on this. I've also asked on whistle this but no MAC users there either.
This is why I've been looking for a good digital recorder, well this and the pub. Every month a few Irish enthusiasts get together in a pub south of here for a session. We have varying standards but always have a great time and the crowd that gathers is always appreciative. It has been a great way to learn to play and a great opportunity to listen. The digital recorder will allow me to take it all home and keep playing with the others until next time we meet.

Post subject: Re: whistle comp
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:24 am 

Allyson wrote:
The song from jrc and his wife is beautiful. I'm often amazed at how many beautiful songs people keep coming up with, all inspired by the word of God.
On another note, how long is the competition running. I am going to be getting a digital recorder soon (hopefully in a few weeks) and I will be finally able to record in mp3. At the moment I can only record in wav and don't have a converter. I will play something on my Irish flute the minute I get it and submit it, although I think the song will be hard to beat.

Allyson,
The contest actually ends today, but I'll probably do another at Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

From Ren-Tin-10:

Quote:
In memory of my mother-in-law, I recorded both the suggested tune (Guide Me) and the tune Walden used for his "'Tis Then God is Leading". The timing of Aaron writing these lyrics could not have been more appropriate, and I thank him for that.

Both are fingerpicked mountain dulcimer tuned DAd, with no capo for "Guide Me", and a capo on the third fret for "'Tis Then".

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nTin10.mp3

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nTin10.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Ren, your chording is always so pleasing, but especially moving as a tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:00 pm 

jrc wrote:
Blackhawk: Well played! That's a really nice whistle too - sounds sweet.

jrc
Thank you, jrc, and thanks to Connie, too. Sorry to be so long with this reply. I'm only just now catching up here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:32 pm 

Susan wrote:
Blackhawk: A great choice of hymn. The whistle has a nice tone.
Yes, it does. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Here's khl's choice:

Abide With Me
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... me_khl.mp3

Keith, which whistle did you use for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 am 

ConnieS wrote:
http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... me_khl.mp3

Keith, which whistle did you use for this?

Sorry, I should have included that in my PM. This is a Reviol Low C -- traded for this recently and just getting used to it. I've added some reverb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

It has a haunting sound. Nice job playing a low C. :shock: Hats off to you.

AND--you interpreted the song well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

What a cool sound ... really well done Keith. I like the reverb too.

I'm assuming the song was in C also, at the bottom of the whistle? Great breath control ... very, very, nice.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:39 pm 

Thanks Connie and Jim. I'm glad you liked the sound. Yes, the lowest note played on this tune is the C. Though I'm still getting used to the Reviol, I like it very much.

The Low C is within my reach, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be looking for a Low Bb or a Low A (as nice as those might be) -- just too much a stretch. Funny how this makes the Low D seem much easier to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Walden has recorded this nifty Tabor and Drum number:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... walden.mp3

Quote:
This is the favorite hymn He Was Nailed To the Cross For Me. Words and music were written by F.A. Graves in 1906, a hundred and one years ago.

1. What a wonderful, wonderful, Savior,
Who would die on the cross for me!
Freely shedding His precious life-blood,
That the sinner might be made free.

CHORUS:
He was nailed to the cross for me,
He was nailed to the cross for me;
On the cross crucified
For me He died;
He was nailed to the cross for me.

2. Thus He left His heavenly glory,
To accomplish His Father’s plan;
He was born of the virgin Mary,
Took upon Him the form of man.

3. He was wounded for our transgressions,
And He carried our sorrows, too;
He’s the Healer of ev’ry sickness,
This He came to the world to do.

4. So He gave His life for others
In Redeeming this world from sin,
And He’s gone to prepare a mansion,
That at last we may enter in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Aaron, I LOVE the drum on this particular one, especially the beginning and the end. Gets your blood pumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 pm 

Keith

I missed this clip somehow and only just found it. Very very nice. That whistle is a winner and it was well played to boot. Good job.

Susan, I need a low C!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:55 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Aaron, I LOVE the drum on this particular one, especially the beginning and the end. Gets your blood pumping.

Here, here! :thumbsup:

Two instruments at once is way beyond most of us. :?