Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Hatred of Jews
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:33 am 

One of the things that upsets me in Europe is the widespread hatred of Jews. Forgive me if I have harped on about this before. My mother worked with Jewish orphans during the WWII so I suppose she passed on to me a love for this hated race.

Today I walked by this Jewish graveyard in our town and took these snaps. The graves remain smashed and desecrated as done by the Germans and Greek turncoats in WWII. All the Jews from here were sent to death camps and their property confiscated never to be returned.

As you can see in the foto a Greek church was built where the synagogue stood.

My heart hurts even more in Thessaloníki. This city was once known in the Jewish world as the second Jerusalem as it was once a mainly Jewish city. The Germans killed almost all the Jews. The gravestones were used to pave streets and it is not long ago that we still had to walk on these gravestones. As soon as the Greeks were back in control of the country they built the university on the vast Jewish graveyard to prevent a return to Jewish control.

If you read the press, watch TV or listen to Christian sermons in the churches here you will very often hear scathing attacks on the Jews. When will it ever end?

Not long ago I was in Poland with Susan. While there we visited concentration camps and cities where there were once Jewish ghettos. What did we see there - freshly painted graffiti cursing the Jews. May God have Mercy on Europe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I agree Adrian - I don't get why some Christians are so against Israel and Judaism. The Bible speaks very clearly about how God feels about them. It's really sad what's happened at that graveyard, and how much Jews are hated by a large part of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:49 am 

It will never end Adrian ..... too many centuries of hate to change it.

I taught the Israelis when I was in the Army and came to know and appreciate them. They sent us their best to train ... and they spent every moment studying the material and applied it well when tested under fire.

They have a motto or cry ... "Never Again"

They Bible refers to them as God's chosen people and that makes them our brothers and sisters ..... but the world seems to take exception to their inclusion.

Bible also says I will bless those who help' Israel and curse those who don't. I am not big at being on the receiving end of God's curse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

As Corrie ten Boom's father said of the Nazis, "They've touched the apple of God's eye."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 am 

my heart breaks to see such destruction...........there are also plenty of stories of Christians being persecuted.and so many persecuted for their beliefs,colour, creed or whatever differences...............none of these things is of God..........but . we look for that day when justice will rule.when there 'will be no hurt in all His holy mountain'....what sad picture Adrian....Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:57 am 

I should add for Connie that if colours are a distraction in a photo (like the red church here or someone's terrible dress sense) it is worth using black and white so you can control the focal points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Is the Star of David the focal point in your first picture? It tells a poignant story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:17 am 

When I was studying Bulgarian for my MA I was very surprised to learn from my Bulgarian language teacher that Bulgaria was the only country in Europe ruled or occupied by Nazis from which not a single Bulgarian Jew was sent to a concentration camp. Although Bulgaria allied itself with the Nazis for political reasons (they wanted to regain lost territory) they absolutely refused to deport any of their Jews. Politicians stood up in parliament and spoke on behalf of the Jews, the Archbishop said that if Jews were deported he would lie down on the railway line in front of any train that was carrying them. Hitler became very frustrated at the refusal of the Bulgarians to obey orders and he met the King on a couple of occasions. The King refused to budge and in doing so probably sacrificed his life for the Jews. He died just a few days after returning from his last meeting with Hitler. It is believed he was poisoned.

In Denmark the order was given that Jews must wear a yellow star so they could be identified. The King wore a yellow star and the rest of the population followed suit. As a result it was impossible to know who was Jew and who was Gentile.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:40 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Is the Star of David the focal point in your first picture? It tells a poignant story.

Connie
The star of David is meant to be the entry point in the first snap and also to give the context of the story behing the picture AND to be the focal point. In the second snap the eye should find the star very quickly but the top of the grave is the entry point (bad planning). They really were just snaps though on the cheapie digital that is always in my pocket. I was too upset to think much about the fotos. The horizontal and vertical lines in the graves lead the eye around the picture and the dark at the back will bring the eye back to the front. The eye is always led to the light parts of a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
The Bible speaks very clearly about how God feels about them

The Bible speaks very clearly about how God feels about everyone, for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

I like to think that hatred of the Jewish people is not very common around here, but reality comes swooping in when I remember that not too long ago the tombstones were knocked over by vandals in the Jewish cemetery in Tulsa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm 

Walden wrote:
I like to think that hatred of the Jewish people is not very common around here, but reality comes swooping in when I remember that not too long ago the tombstones were knocked over by vandals in the Jewish cemetery in Tulsa.

That is very sad indeed. I alway imagine the USA to be the protector and champion of the Jewish race.

We Brits are partly guilty for the holocaust and were equally antisemitic once and we have much to answer for on the last day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 am 

I'm glad to see a thread like this. I was in Ireland not all that long ago, watching the news every night when Yasser Arafat was holed up in his house with Israeli tanks surrounding his house. At the same time there were almost daily suicide bombings in Israel with 20 or more killed each time. Yet the news was all about "brave" Arafat "facing down" the Israeli kilers, as if they couldn't have taken him out at any time and it was only his courage that was keeping them at bay. That story would get ten minutes each night, with 30 seconds of "oh, and 20 more Israelis were also killed in a pizza parlor today." The anti-Semitism of the slanted "news" was chilling. And poor Arafat died with more than a billion dollars in his bank account.

On that trip I watched demonstrators holding a march thru Dublin, chanting "Free Yasser Arafat," but no one marched to stop the Israeli women and children from being bombed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

From Israel National News site:

"Peres - internationally recognized statesman, Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Israeli icon - just can't figure out why the Arabs in the PA continue to attack us after we concede to them land they claim they want from us for an Arab state. (This drove at least one frequent Arutz Sheva contributing columnist, Isaac Kohn, into a rage. You might want to read his take on our esteemed president after finishing up here.)

Well, it so happens that I was privileged to consult an authentic expert on Israel-Arab relations - my daughter. Did I mention that she is six years old?

She knew about the expulsion from Gush Katif and northern Samaria from previous conversations we had after she'd seen some pictures of Israeli soldiers throwing other Israelis out of their homes. Those were some tough questions for someone raised to love and honor "our boys in uniform." I told her as diplomatically as possible that some people believe that taking Jews out of parts of the Land of Israel and handing it to the Arabs will make the Arabs stop trying to harm us and would hopefully bring peace.

However, living in Israel, it is almost impossible for her not to know that rockets continue to fall on our brethren in the south.

So, when I asked her why she thought the Arabs were still firing rockets on Jewish towns even after we "disengaged" from Gaza and northern Samaria, my daughter had an answer. It was as follows (paying attention, Mr. Peres?):

"Maybe they don't really want the Land of Israel, but they want that there will be no more Jews here."

Double bull's-eye, honey. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 am 
Site Admin

She hasn't learned to over-analyze. I wish we could stay that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:28 pm 

How could anyone hate the Jews after listening to their music!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 am 

jrc wrote:
I agree Adrian - I don't get why some Christians are so against Israel and Judaism. The Bible speaks very clearly about how God feels about them. It's really sad what's happened at that graveyard, and how much Jews are hated by a large part of the world.

The reason why some Christians are against the Jews is because they blame the Jews for Jesus' death. I'm not justifying this position, just explaining it. :?

Shalom,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:51 am 
Site Admin

IanG wrote:
The reason why some Christians are against the Jews is because they blame the Jews for Jesus' death.

The death that brought us ransom for our sins and eternal life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 am 

Walden wrote:
IanG wrote:
The reason why some Christians are against the Jews is because they blame the Jews for Jesus' death.

The death that brought us ransom for our sins and eternal life?

That's the one. I don't understand the reasoning process that gets them there - I just know its effects.

I had an ancestor that was denied medical treatment at a hospital run by a large Christian denomination because she was a Jew. As a result, she died during childbirth.

I've forgiven them for that. I'm just sharing this by way of an explanation.

Shalom,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:23 am 

My father-in-law's denomination voted to divest itself of any investments related to Isreali businesses because of the country's so-called treatment of Palestinians.

I was appalled. Of all the despots and dictators to choose from, they chose a small country surrounded by nations that want nothing more thane to see her obliterated.

It was recently overturned, but to think a Christian denomination could even make that decision is beyone me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:53 am 

Some of the things that have been done in the name of Jesus are as bad as some of the things that have been done in the name of God ... or Allah.

Just because you wear the the "name" doesn't mean you know the person.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Actually if I have to place blame anywhere I personally think it falls pretty squarely on Pontius Pilot. The man had the power to release Christ. And choose to do the political thing. One can argue that there would have been a riot, or other violence had he released Christ and not Barrabas. Personally I doubt it but I was not there :) The point is Pilot had the chance to do what was right and did not. Now point of fact we know that was because this had to happen. But it always struck me as odd that people never seem to look at Ol' Pontius here. Like he was above morals because he was the roman official. bah. anyway that diverges... really nice photos. Well...not nice photos persay but nicely done... okay...bailing out of this one :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:13 am 

shadoes wrote:
Actually if I have to place blame anywhere I personally think it falls pretty squarely on Pontius Pilot.

That is my conclusion as well, not to excuse the people (not the entire population of Jewish people) who convinced him to "wash his hands" of the matter.

Love the person, hate the sin, I have read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:21 am 
Site Admin

This is getting deep -

Is blame a good word? If had released Jesus, no doubt the prophesies would still be fulfilled, but wouldn't someone else have had to have been in the same position?

Sin requires atonement by blood - the Lamb had to be slain. Sad and wonderful at the same time, but true.

And welcome back Shadoes - where you been mate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 am 
Site Admin

I am here. I read the board every day just don't post much at the moment for various reasons not the least of which is at the moment I am busy busy busy. My pirate singing group starts a month long gig at Haunted Castle in Muskogee Ok tonight. Every Friday/Saturday and the last two Sundays and last Thursday of the month. So have been preparing for that as well as hemoraging out money to get the gear I need :) Do now have a nice wireless mic for both my vocal and my 12 string.

But back on topic I agree that if not Pilate then someone else. But still I find it odd that nobody every puts any responsibility on him.