Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Reading Sheet Music in Bb
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:46 pm 

I am praticing "The Riddle Song" to accompany our choir. Once you learn D fingering and then see and play a song in Bb on a Bb whistle you have to transpose up a note. Do you guys just memorize the song or learn to see a different fingering with a different key???? It increases the chance of missing a note tenfold for me. Dumb question, but advice will be appreciated.

Don in AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:07 pm 

I just use the same fingering as with the D whistle.

If it isn't in the right key, I use the whistle that plays it in the right key.

Post subject: Let me try again
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:20 pm 

The note on the page is played with all fingers down which would be a d on the d whistle but is a c on the Bb Whistle. So when the note of the page climbs up to say a G, I have to play it like a A. Right. So I am looking at a note that tells me to play with the top three down but it is really the top two, thence the problem in my mind, which wants to put down three fingers when I see a G.!!???

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Don, there are a couple of ways to handle playing in Bb. One is to transpose the music to D using a program like Finale's Notepad, then playing the music on a Bb whistle using the D fingering. This works only if the music stays within the range of the "D" fingering. Second approach is to relearn the proper fingering to play a Bb whistle in Bb. (This strains my mind and I try to avoid it, myself ... :roll: ). The only whistle I've taught myself to finger correctly (other than D) is C and is my second choice for some odd keys. I would use a C whistle to play in Bb ....

C = XXX XXX
D = OXX XXX
Eb = OxX XXX
E = OOX XXX
F = OOO XXX
G = OOO OXX
A = OOO OOX
Bb = OOO XXO
B = OOO OOO

O = open hole x = half-closed hole X = closed hole

I'm not into music theory and stuff, so if this is wrong one of the more brilliant people that inhabit the board will be along to correct it soon. That's one great thing about this place ... all the multi-talented people that are willing to help those of us (ie - me) much less qualified. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 pm 

Not wise to learn Bb fingering for a whistle. There are 12 whistle keys and no one can remember them all so the normal thing is to treat the whistle as a transposing instrument. This means you transpose all the music as if it is going to be played on a D instrument.

It is not difficult to learn to transpose and it is worth learning to do but these days it is beyond easy with free notation software like Finale. You simply write the music in the original key and then change the key at the click of a button.

When you have learnt to play by ear you won't have to do any of the above but just pick up the right whistle and play.

Post subject: Light coming on!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm 

Yes, I can see the craziness of looking at many different pieces of music and trying to sort out what holes are covered with what note. So I will check out the software. Fact is, I have a decent ear for hymns and would prefer to have it memorized but due to the strange and paralyzing fear factor which I mentioned earlier, and an organist who really does not want me to play the whistle in church, I like having the sheet music in front of me. By the way, Pastors do get to lead their own churches except when a musician is involved, then you must be careful. So I have a truly split personality.

Thanks for the good advice.

Don

Post subject: Re: Let me try again
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:18 pm 

DonHen wrote:
The note on the page is played with all fingers down which would be a d on the d whistle but is a c on the Bb Whistle.

No, that's incorrect.

All fingers down on a Bb whistle plays a Bb.

Post subject: Lord, I need to learn music theory!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:45 pm 

Of course, my brother, you are right. What I meant to say was that this piece has one flat on the Key Signature, which I think is the Key of F major??? And I was thinking, since I had not actually played along with the piano, I would need a Bb whistle???

Baby steps.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:17 am 

You can play the key of F with a C whistle. The "C natural" fingering plays the Bb note.

Of course, it might fit an F whistle better, but one of those two whistles will be in the right range.

I can't think in "keys" any more since I found that I was a woodwind person, I just think in notes, and that is limited (mostly) to "do I play C, Cnatural or both" in a tune. A study of modes may be in order to clear up your thinking with whistles. Do a google search and you can find more articles about modes.

WhOA is thee... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Let me try again
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:29 am 

fancypiper wrote:
DonHen wrote:
The note on the page is played with all fingers down which would be a d on the d whistle but is a c on the Bb Whistle.

No, that's incorrect.

All fingers down on a Bb whistle plays a Bb.

Piper, you are as sharp as ever! :D