Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:23 pm 

Very nice, Shan! You've obviously been playing for a while, and this clip shows it. Nice! Now let's hear more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

What a great version of "Be Thou My Blessing", Shan!

How long have you been playing the whistle? My Susato never sounded that fine ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:23 pm 

Thank you thank you for the compliments! Actually, I haven't been playing the whistle very long-- 6 months or so? I bought a Feadog D on a lark while on vacation about 2 years ago, but didn't do very much with it once I learned the fingerings until relatively recently. However, I started playing the flute way back in middle school, and I do practice A LOT before I post. I got my susato about a month ago-- and the funny thing is, I HATED the way it sounded until I started trying to play music from memory. Somehow just focusing on the tune and not the dots put me in a completely different head space regarding this whistle. (Though I still don't like my susato D very much-- how odd.)

I guess in the interest of full disclosure I need to admit that while I have the basic tune memorized, I don't play from memory while I'm recording because my mind goes blank when I click the little record button if I'm not looking at the dots. I should probably also admit that there are plenty of places in the tune where I had to really amplify the sound because it didn't come across very well through the microphone. Not sure if that's my playing or the side effect of a cheapie lapel mic. :)

OK, Blackhawk - I've got a 2nd song uploaded. It was a nice way to put off my chores for a couple of hours. Wow, I can tell I'm definitely on school break... more like "real life" break! It will likely be awhile before I can get to another tune once we start school again...

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:05 pm 

Shan wrote:
Thank you thank you for the compliments! Actually, I haven't been playing the whistle very long-- 6 months or so? I bought a Feadog D on a lark while on vacation about 2 years ago, but didn't do very much with it once I learned the fingerings until relatively recently. However, I started playing the flute way back in middle school, and I do practice A LOT before I post. I got my susato about a month ago-- and the funny thing is, I HATED the way it sounded until I started trying to play music from memory. Somehow just focusing on the tune and not the dots put me in a completely different head space regarding this whistle. (Though I still don't like my susato D very much-- how odd.)
It's not all that uncommon, with Susatos. I love my C but have hated all 3 D's that I've owned.

Quote:
OK, Blackhawk - I've got a 2nd song uploaded. It was a nice way to put off my chores for a couple of hours.
Cool, Shan! You've definitely hit the ground running here. I can't wait to hear tune #2.

Post subject: My first endeavor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm 

Well, after many trys I managed to come up with one that I didn't mess up too badly. I know this song has been done many times but it is the best one I play right now. I would like to play it as an intro at church sometime if I get the courage.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully I will get better and learn more as I go. Ornaments are very few right now.

Thanks,
Paulette

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Mermaid on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My first endeavor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup:

One of my favorite tunes, too, Paulette. Looks like you've conquered recording ... and are off to a good start. Once you start recording your tunes and listening, you will be surprised at how quickly your playing will improve.

.... I'm ready for your next recording .... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm 

Very cool, Paulette! Keep 'em coming. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Hey, look at that... you did it! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 am 

Good for you, Paulette! As others have said, keep 'em coming!!!

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Song 7 - Be Thou My Vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope next time I submit a tune to add my guitar if I can figure out how to manage two tracks. I ended up converting to MP3 with Roxio.

Sorry, I should have put this tune in it's proper place. I will pay attention next time.

Paulette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, that sounds nice, Paulette. Did you say what kind of whistle you used?

What they said, I say again--more, please!!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm 

I used a Brass Gen Bb. I started to use my Low A Sindt that I purchased from Darvis but thought the Bb was more suitable for that tune. Maybe next time. Like I said I'm going to try to incorporate my Classical into the mix if I can figure it out but it will be a different tune.

Thanks for your help in getting there.

Paulette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:33 pm 

Learning by ear should be one of your goals as tin whistle music, especially for slow airs (which lots of hymns are) as the dots just give you a skeleton of the tune. Lots of slow airs are rather rubato which is hard to notate properly. Traditional (ITM) whistle music (actually I should say all) is best learned aurally.

I never consider a tune to be "mine" until I can play it without thinking about the tune and at the same time, deciding which variation I want to play on the upcoming part.

Listen, listen, and listen again and it will come! \:D/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice Paulette - I can't wait to hear the whistle and guitar.

Keep 'em coming!!

blessings

jrc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 am 

I finally got around to listening to this, Paulette -- way to go! So glad you were able to figure out recording! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to hearing the guitar and whistle combo, too.

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6