Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Drooling Sweetones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:39 pm 

OK, this is most likely an operator malfunction, but does anyone have any idea why my sweetones positively gush fluid out of the airway while I'm playing? :-s My other whistles will eventually leak out the airway, but with the sweetones, it's a bit extreme (not to mention a bit embarrassing) right from the get-go. They aren't clogged, because I can still play just fine, but it's a little disconcerting to be creating such a fountain. Ew.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem, or better yet, make it go away? As far as I know, I'm not spitting or drooling or thinking about chocolate...

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

It's a wind instrument thing. I don't think there's much you can do about it. If you aren't clogging up, I'm not sure it's worrisome. Just make sure you're not playing over your sheet music. I've had students drool out of the ends of their Megs and just keep playing. :?

I'd be interested to hear if anybody else actually has a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:16 pm 

Generally, I think it goes something like this:

Something in mouth = food => saliva.

In my experience, when your mouth becomes more accustomed to having something in it that's not food, the flow is likely to slow down. I find that the flow increases if I play shortly after eating or brushing my teeth.

If you want a really quick solution, try playing somewhere that makes you really nervous. This worked great for me years ago. Unfortunately, I was playing a reed instrument at the time, and a totally dry mouth was not a desirable thing.

Sometimes, too much liquid accumulates in my saxophone, and it becomes audible. In this instance, the only solution is for it to return from whence it came. (If playing amplified, it's best to turn away from the microphone first.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I have a student who plays sax in our band. I have to try not to react by gagging when he does that (returns the fluids to their source).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

I think this might get better the more you play. Here's my theory:

I have some dental hardware in my mouth -- snap-in appliance kind of things while work is being done. When they first went in, my mouth watered so much I thought I was going to gag. But then I guess my mouth learned that this is NOT something I'm going to chew and swallow, so it might as well knock it off with all the saliva.

So once again, the answer is ...... practice. :) (even though there will always be some spit in the airway)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:06 pm 

KittyR wrote:
I have some dental hardware in my mouth -- snap-in appliance kind of things while work is being done. When they first went in, my mouth watered so much I thought I was going to gag. But then I guess my mouth learned that this is NOT something I'm going to chew and swallow, so it might as well knock it off with all the saliva.

My daughter is in the throes of various orthodontial appliances, and we've witnessed the same phenomenon with her.

I think also sometimes playing shortly after lunch may be a contributing factor! (Though I always make sure to rinse my mouth out really well before playing because the thought of food in my whistle is rather repulsive.)

Well, it's nice to hear that it's just one of those things and not some odd personal aberration!

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:08 am 
Site Admin

I haven't had so much trouble with whistles, but having been around band instruments with 'spit valves' for many years, I believe a large contributing factor is condensation.

Not to be graphic, but what I've seen come out of horns is not viscous enough for saliva-

just my .02 cents.

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:31 pm 

jrc wrote:
I believe a large contributing factor is condensation.

Not to be graphic, but what I've seen come out of horns is not viscous enough for saliva-
jrc

Hmmm... well, this would explain why the leakage is worse with some whistles than with others. I guess that still puts it squarely in the category of "one of those things". :)

Post subject: Re: Drooling Sweetones
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:01 am 

Shan wrote:
OK, this is most likely an operator malfunction, but does anyone have any idea why my sweetones positively gush fluid out of the airway while I'm playing? :-s My other whistles will eventually leak out the airway, but with the sweetones, it's a bit extreme (not to mention a bit embarrassing) right from the get-go. They aren't clogged, because I can still play just fine, but it's a little disconcerting to be creating such a fountain. Ew.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem, or better yet, make it go away? As far as I know, I'm not spitting or drooling or thinking about chocolate...

Cut a little hole in the bottom of the windway, by your lips, then grow a beard to soak it up.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Admin

I think "Drooling Sweetones" is a great name for a band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:18 am 

With a name like that, I think I'd settle for listening to a studio recording of their work instead of a live performance. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

You would NOT want front row seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 am 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:

:laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:37 am 

ConnieS wrote:

Connie, you are too funny! :laughing: :laughing:

Lyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:33 pm 

I've experienced the same thing, except in my case it's a Dribbling Dixon as opposed to the Drooling Sweetone. It has a lot to do with the material (plastic) and construction of the whistle. The excess moisture problem is better than a clogging problem even if it can be messier. Most "experts" say that it is only condensation and due to differing temperatures of breath etc. although I am not totally convinced.
A while back I asked a much more experienced player what could be done about this. He only told me "Learn to blow dry air", then began laughing maniacally. Strange.
TOm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's perfect.

I can see the marquis now......:

Tonight: Dribblin' Dixon and the Drooling Sweetones!

OhYEAH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:55 pm 

Condensation does form, and with plastic, it has nowhere to go; wood can sometimes absorb moisture, to a point. However, I know with certainty that I salivate, at times, when playing whistle. Sometimes, copiously.

As to blowing dry air, just get really nervous before playing. That should dry up your mouth just fine. (Works for me.)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:35 pm 

I can't remember if i already posted this before, but in case you ever DO have a problem with clogging on a Sweet, Ralph gave me the solution. Dip a feather in dish soap and run it through the mouthpiece. This can be repeated, although I have only done it once a year for my 'D' and have had no other problems with the clogging from spit factor- yum!

--Megan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Lately I've been playing my Akai EWI, and I can tell you honestly, the moisture that 'occurs' is not condensation. Hmmm....

I've watched some really fine players - most notably Micheal Brecker - and they would appear to have a similar problem. He uses hair scrunchies around the mouthpiece to catch the overflow. I'm gonna give that a try. I don't think that would help with whistles.

The point of being gross - aside from the amusement factor, of course :mrgreen: - is that first hand lately I've seen the difference between condensate and saliva ... and what drips from the end of the whistle is, without question, condensate. At least for me, that's true. You guys who went to Texas and sat around eating smores and playing whistles ... I'm not so sure. :-'

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 am 

Not to worry, it's just music juice!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 am 
Site Admin

fancypiper wrote:
Not to worry, it's just music juice!

:thumbsup: ... slip-sliding away ....

I still think Droolin' Sweetones is a great name for a ITrad band.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm 

Sweetones don't drool. People do. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:55 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Sweetones don't drool. People do. :mrgreen:

:D :D ...I wish I'da thought of that!