Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Clarke thumb tweak
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

I remember someone talking about a tweak for Clarke whistles, a 'thumb' or thumbnail' tweak ... can someone give me the details about that, and what it accomplishes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:51 pm 

I believe it amounts to mashing the end of the wind way with a thumb to produce a more efficient air stream across the window to the blade.
After mashing, then the blade may need to be adjusted also.
I put a feeler gauge in to hold the mashing to about a little less than 1/16'', then pull the feeler gauge out. If you don't have a gauge cut a credit card in to a strip that will fit. :lol: If you have a tormic wet grinder you can make a gauge from a hacksaw blade.

Before mashing take out the woodblock and lightly sand the top of it with no less than 600 grit paper. Then wet it and let it dry. you will see that the wood grain has raised up. Sand again, wet let dry. Takes about three times before the wood stops raising. It is this raising of the grain on new whistles with a wood block that makes them change their tone.
Then the thread pops up from that person asking what happened to their whisle. You want the wood surface of the windway to be smooth. Put the sandpaper on a very flat surface and move the block on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Tommy - I want to play it for a while and see how it goes, but there's a lot of 'chirp' in it - could be my technique. I don't think I'm getting a good consistent seal on the holes yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:57 pm 

jrc wrote:
Thanks Tommy - I want to play it for a while and see how it goes, but there's a lot of 'chirp' in it - could be my technique. I don't think I'm getting a good consistent seal on the holes yet.

Put some hand lotion on your hands to soften the skin. Makes a better seal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Great idea ... my hands are quite dry.

I posted a recording over on the EzFolk site below - "O Come O Come Emmanuel" with the Clarke C and piano.

We're not fast friends yet, but there's a relationship building, I think :D .

Let me know what you think, if you would please. You guys all know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like!

Thanks again

jrc

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm 

That rendition was beautiful and creative. I was very moved by the expressivness in your playing and in the sound of the whistle.

Great playing,

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am 

Outstanding, JRC! We both loved the clip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks very much all ... your comments are really encouraging.

Thanks for listening.

jrc

Post subject: Re: Clarke thumb tweak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 am 

I use a Clarke traditional D more than any other single whistle, and they have all needed the thumb tweak. As described above, it is just mashing the top of the windway to narrow it slightlly.

Focuses the sound more, makes it behave better in the upper octave.

Have you tried it yet?

Whistle and Squeak: Folk, Traditional, Hymns, and Carols with Pennywhistle Tablature and Sound Files

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Not really - I gave the C a kind of half-hearted squeeze, but nothing visibly happened. I'm not displeased with it as is.

I'm not fooling around with the D - it's one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm 

I have always masked the windway down on my Clarke originals, but not to 1/16th. How does that affect the air requirements?
Also, every time I messed with the wind blade I quickly had to put it back where it was. I never had any success with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

kelly wrote:
I have always masked the windway down on my Clarke originals, but not to 1/16th. How does that affect the air requirements?
Also, every time I messed with the wind blade I quickly had to put it back where it was. I never had any success with that.

Well,the tweak is designed to lower the breath requirements, and it does a fair job of that.

I just figured at $10 a whistle, I could afford to ruin it, so I kept fiddling with the mashed wind blade until I got it right. After you mash the wind blade, you have to mess with the upper part of it to make it equal. Then you open back up the wind blade to make it more equal. Then you mess with the upper part to make it more equal. Then you mash the wind blade back down to make it MORE equal.

In the end you either have a better whistle or you throw it away and buy a new one and start over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 pm 

Sounds like it could be over my head. Can you take the windway down to 1/16th and not mess with the wind blade?
I've thrown whistles in the trash after trying to tweak them into playability and failing (don't repeat me on the other board) but have never actually destroyed one myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
I kept fiddling with the mashed wind blade until I got it right. After you mash the wind blade, you have to mess with the upper part of it to make it equal. Then you open back up the wind blade to make it more equal. Then you mess with the upper part to make it more equal. Then you mash the wind blade back down to make it MORE equal.

Hmmm... Well ConnieS, I believe you have it down pat now. Very good Summation.