Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: I love this time of year...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:37 am 

...because of the wonderful things God does with colors and trees. I took these pix here on the grounds of the water treatment plant where I work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 am 

Wow :shock: Isn't God amazing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:59 am 

He sure is!

I love it when leaves turn such bright colors... many of the leaves here just brown and crinkle and die in the autumn :P But the reds and purples and yellows can be spectacular. Like em more than flowers, I think, sometimes. Praise God!

Web Page: http://yeruvan.googlepages.com
Blog: http://chiasticsarcast.livejournal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

The trees people plant in their yards tend to be the most spectacular, as they pick particularly colorful varieties to plant, but I took a car trip across the Ozarks of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri this weekend, and, of the native trees, the cottonwoods and sumac are turning already. They are very pretty. Poison ivy can also be quite beautiful in the fall of the year. This may sound odd, but it is. Around here poison ivy grows into huge plants, and sometimes covers trees, and when it turns it is a brilliant color. Before you criticize me for appreciating something as awful as poison ivy, bear in mind that as a child I had a case of it that was so bad (and in such a critically sensitive part of the body) I had to make repeated trips to the hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:32 pm 

Darvis ... very nice way of showing God's decorating skills... He does do good work.

Aaron ... I have been there ... not quiet as bad though ... and I still flinched when I ready about your problems as a child. I also wish I were able to drive where you did .... one of these days maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gorgeous foliage!!!

Um....when I was a kid I could roll in poison ivy and be okay. I'm closer to normal now.

My husband on the other hand....poor guy. He can touch it with his fingertips, run inside and wash with grease-cutting detergent, and still come out with a bad outbreak. You can't imagine what he experienced when he first moved out here and did not know what it was. :shock: One incident comes to mind when he was pulling it hand over hand out of the shrubbery for a good 20 minutes at least. Unforgettable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Beautiful pictures, Darvis!

I can relate to poison ivy problems (& still appreciate the beauty of it in the fall). Sometimes it seems like just looking at the stuff can bring on a rash. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:08 am 

Lovely pics Darvis,
I love fall as well! The cool crisp mornings, wearing of the flannels. Swishing around in the leaves. I love the colors. Very earthy.

Walden wrote:
The trees people plant in their yards tend to be the most spectacular, as they pick particularly colorful varieties to plant, but I took a car trip across the Ozarks of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri this weekend, and, of the native trees, the cottonwoods and sumac are turning already. They are very pretty. Poison ivy can also be quite beautiful in the fall of the year. This may sound odd, but it is. Around here poison ivy grows into huge plants, and sometimes covers trees, and when it turns it is a brilliant color. Before you criticize me for appreciating something as awful as poison ivy, bear in mind that as a child I had a case of it that was so bad (and in such a critically sensitive part of the body) I had to make repeated trips to the hospital.

One does not learn to truly respect poison ivy until one gets a bad dose of it at least once in their lifetime.
My Dad, does not get it, and he would always pride himself that there be no poison ivy in his yard.

I can recall at time when I was pregnant with my second child. Dad had lots of honeysuckle vines growing in his back yard in the woods. Me being very crafty at the time, decided that i wanted to make honeysuckle baskets and wreaths. So here I am weeding out the vines for my dad.

It was in the middle of summer, rather hot day, sweaty... well.... I ended up getting a bad poison ivy rash... needless to say, all those wreaths and baskets ended up getting thrown out.

As a naturalist though, I appreciate mature poison ivy vines. Many birds and animals rely on the fruits and shelter that it provides. It is amazing how massive a vine can get! And you are right...the fall colors are beautiful.

One great big huge tip to those who like to go all out Tarzan like!

Leaves of Three, let em be!

and the vines.......

Harry Harry OH So Scary!!!!!

Back in my younger crazy days.... went on a group camping trip, and I can recall several of the guys thinking they would get all Tarzan and swing from some vines...lol.....they paid for that one!!!

My hubby, who experienced pretty much the same personal sever rash as you.... had the sense to steer clear of that vine.

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:17 am 

Oh... more on the topic of poison ivy...

Just recently a several folks from church went to Ireland on a pilgrimage.
One of my friends who went had a bad poison ivy rash.

I asked her to ask one of the residents there in Ireland when she arrived if there be poison ivy in Ireland. She asked the tour guide, and he said there is not!

So she said, well, I will trade you the US leaves of Three for the Irish leaves of three....

:lol:

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh