Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Ordered a new one...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:32 pm 

After a lot of thinking I decided to stick with Dixon. I just ordered a Dixon high C, a C whistle is very useful and my husband's Clarke sucks... I don't like Clarke, too little sound, too breathy sound. Dixon simply is the best. They also had a quite cheap book of Celtic Christmas tunes for the whistle... very nice. Can't wait to get the package!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:05 pm 

Well done. Wise choice. Let us know what you think of you new whistle and book when they come. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:30 am 

Yay! New whistle! Gotta love that feeling.

I don't like my Clarke Sweetone C much, either. I guess I'll have to look at Dixon for a replacement.

Let us know how you like the book of Christmas music. I've seen it, and I almost bought it, but since I own 2 hymnals, figured I didn't really need it.

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 am 

Most Christmas music can be found on the internet. If you can't find what you want then ask here on PWA where the combined pool of resources is deep and wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Admin

I like both my Clark Originals very much. The D is my very favorite, but I'm working on the C.

I can take or leave the Sweetone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:53 am 

jrc wrote:
I like both my Clark Originals very much. The D is my very favorite, but I'm working on the C.

Jim is a master of the Clark Original and I wish I could play mine as well as he plays his!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:

Jim is a master of the Clark Original and I wish I could play mine as well as he plays his!

:oops: You are too kind, sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:48 am 

Shan wrote:
Yay! New whistle! Gotta love that feeling.

I don't like my Clarke Sweetone C much, either. I guess I'll have to look at Dixon for a replacement.

Let us know how you like the book of Christmas music. I've seen it, and I almost bought it, but since I own 2 hymnals, figured I didn't really need it.

Can you ever get too many tune books???? I have sort of 20 different tune books...and I love them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:09 pm 

zoukie wrote:
Can you ever get too many tune books???? I have sort of 20 different tune books...and I love them all.

I think you can! I remember back to when we only had about 20 songbooks back in 1987 as poor students at Bible college :oops:. We have been able to buy a few more since and there are another two tune books in the post even now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:31 pm 

Well, maybe you can when you're moving.... (realizing the fact even before I've started packing down the music books) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

I have the Celtic Tinwhistle Christmas book -- and LOVE IT! It has several tunes that might not be in your normal hymnal -- some with harmony parts. It has a great version of "Joy to the World" in 2 part harmony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:10 am 

Zoukie

Adrian is ashamed to say we have about 230 tune books on our shelves now. That is an average of about one addition every month since we got married. Most are slim like the 'Celtic Tinwhistle Christmas book' and '101 Carolan tunes' but they do fill up a few shelves!

The database of our Christian songs shows that we have about 12,000 hymns and choruses in our books. :shock:

Too many? Of course not. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 am 
Site Admin

You two made a database?

The organizational process it would take to put together a database of all those tunes makes my head spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:54 am 

ConnieS wrote:
You two made a database?

The organizational process it would take to put together a database of all those tunes makes my head spin.

When I was in charge of the music ministry of a church we made a one database of all the music we had of hymns and worship songs and another database of all the tracks on the 200 or so Christian CDs we had. This international church we joined was a very young church and were only singing about twelve songs when we came. The pastor was hungry for new songs and our databases helped us find suitable songs and matching CD tracks very quickly during the next three years in that fellowship. They had a repertoire of about 250 songs by the time we left, which is about average for a church i think.

Susan is not a computer geek but she is a very fast typist and does not make mistakes. I would lie down on the bed and read out names, keys, styles, catagories, composers and dates etc and Susan did the hard work of entering the details. It was time very well spent.

Last edited by Adrian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Makes. me want to know more?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 pm 

Adrian and Susan, and the rest of you readers....

Have you guys ever told your story. You know, the things you would discuss around a dinner table. Has anyone shared short biographies of who we are and were we came from and why we are or are not in this church or that one???? If you have done that on this forum, show me where.

One of my favorite book subtitles says, This book is for new and "used" Christians. I wondered if the used meant being used or worn out and sitting crumpled beside the road????

Don in AZ a used Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
I would lie down on the bed and read out names, keys, styles, catagories, composers and dates etc and Susan did the hard work of entering the details.

(sigh) Um, so Adrian lounged and read and Susan typed at breakneck speed. I'd almost have to say it's time for Susan to give you a smack on the forehead, but.....if Adrian makes the cakes, I guess it all works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:01 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Adrian wrote:
I would lie down on the bed and read out names, keys, styles, catagories, composers and dates etc and Susan did the hard work of entering the details.

(sigh) Um, so Adrian lounged and read and Susan typed at breakneck speed. I'd almost have to say it's time for Susan to give you a smack on the forehead, but.....if Adrian makes the cakes, I guess it all works out.

But Susan is a cake-maker extraordiare. Why should I stop her?

BTW you might think 12,000 hymns is a lot but some collections have more than 1,000 hymns in one book e.g. "Mission Praise" and "The hymn fake book" both contain more than 1,000 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 am 

I think my whistle/book package is on the post office. Will go and pick it up tomorrow (or maybe tonight...). Can't wait to get it!!

I like Don's idea of sharing our story. Where would be the best place? Fellowship, I guess? Or is there already a similar thread somewhere that I've missed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:08 am 

zoukie wrote:
I like Don's idea of sharing our story. Where would be the best place? Fellowship, I guess? Or is there already a similar thread somewhere that I've missed?

Fellowship I think.