Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Slivers of Time
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

When one teaches, one lives each break to the fullest.

Today we were invited to some friends' house for dinner after church. It was the neatest thing. We brought a salad to share, and when we got there, found another family was invited as well. We all were delighted--more fun. Another family showed up, then another. Turns out the whole church was invited. We had a glorious time. After most people left, a young woman in their family and I talked about playing violin and whistle together. We hadn't done that in several years. She walked across the road (that's where she lives) and got a couple of violins.

She's just learning, so our music connected just a bit here and there. Didn't quite work most of the time, but when it did it was quite delicious for a phrase or two.

It was a perfect day for making music. Probably the last warm day before winter. A big picture window, beyond which you could see a farmer giving his soil that final turn-in before it rests. With that as a backdrop, picture the Appalachian music we could play. People were singing in harmony. She knows some of the early American reels people used to do, and she played those. Then she started playing just "feeling" music. Bent notes, beautiful music. She's an artist, so you can feel her feelings when she plays. She heard us talking about the perfection of the day and the scene out the window, so she got up and looked out and just played. Grabbed my camera.

That's music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Great shot!!

Glad you caught a breather!

jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:36 pm 

Sounds like a great day and the picture captures it very well ... trying to decide if it is B&W or Sepia .. but whatever it is .. I like it a lot. Glad you had the camera on hand ..... you starting to carry one with you now ... looks like Adrian got another convert or did you do that before he started to preach it???? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:33 am 

Connie

Thank you so much for sharing this. You have no idea how much it means to us to share in some of your precious moments.

The photo is stunning [opens Photoshop]. It will be framed and put on my wall after a few adjustments!

A million thanks for story and pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:24 am 
Site Admin

Indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
... trying to decide if it is B&W or Sepia .. but whatever it is .. I like it a lot. Glad you had the camera on hand ..... you starting to carry one with you now ... looks like Adrian got another convert or did you do that before he started to preach it???? :D

Sepia. My compact digital is so small it fits in a little pocket in my purse. Always armed... 8) ...with a camera, that is. Adrian convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:41 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
... trying to decide if it is B&W or Sepia .. but whatever it is .. I like it a lot. Glad you had the camera on hand ..... you starting to carry one with you now ... looks like Adrian got another convert or did you do that before he started to preach it???? :D

Sepia. My compact digital is so small it fits in a little pocket in my purse. Always armed... 8) ...with a camera, that is. Adrian convert.

Am thinking you always armed anyhow .. lol ... Adrian is working one convert at a time....

I like Sepia ... Use to do a lot of it before digital ... even took a picture of a steaming cup of coffee with coffee beans scattered around the cup and saucer. Used coffee to give it the sepia look .. and said "smell the picture" .. surprised a lot of folks. lol