Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:40 pm 

I love them all. But the Alba Q1 and the Humphreys D/Eb are super and I play them regularly. The Mack/Oak is the one I choose for tunes that are primarily in the second octave. The green top Feadog is special and is always on my desk for a quick tune. If you look closely it is held together with super glue and tape. The head split right down the middle of the ramp. But it plays better now that I glued and taped it. All of themare played regularly even the Angel recorder that was cheaper than a Meg. In the low whistles I like the Dixon low D. However the CB Folk Flute is becoming my low D favorite. The Olwell Bamboo G is LOUD. I loved the Alba Vibe but it was only here on a tour. It is on its way to Ken.

Edited to add that I have a new favorite in my collection. It is in the key of C. Hint: it is clear lucite with a brass head made by a maker who has a very limited number in production.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:19 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Jim...Shhhh. We don't want him cured, now, do we? How else would we come by all these wonderful whistles? :lol:
Oh, this is getting TOO funny! I should have stickers made, like Jerry Freeman puts on his tweaked whistles, only mine would say "once owned by Blackhawk.: :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:16 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Jim...Shhhh. We don't want him cured, now, do we? How else would we come by all these wonderful whistles? :lol:
Oh, this is getting TOO funny! I should have stickers made, like Jerry Freeman puts on his tweaked whistles, only mine would say "once owned by Blackhawk.: :laughing:

Send me four please. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:23 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Zoukie

Nice collection. Did any of them once belong to Blackhawk?

I see you lack a Generation Bb? :D

Which is your favorite whistle?

None of them ever belonged to Blackhawk, but he can have some of my Clarkes if he wants to :lol:

Generation Bb??? No more Generations.. Don't know why I don't like them. Maybe because they're British.
My favorite whistles are the Dixons, the Clare, and the Clarke C. I like the whistles that are easy to play, that are in tune (or tuneable) and have a nice bright sound.
I'm already thinking of ordering some more Dixons......or should I try another brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:58 pm 

zoukie wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Zoukie

Nice collection. Did any of them once belong to Blackhawk?

I see you lack a Generation Bb? :D

Which is your favorite whistle?

None of them ever belonged to Blackhawk, but he can have some of my Clarkes if he wants to :lol:

Generation Bb??? No more Generations.. Don't know why I don't like them. Maybe because they're British.
My favorite whistles are the Dixons, the Clare, and the Clarke C. I like the whistles that are easy to play, that are in tune (or tuneable) and have a nice bright sound.
I'm already thinking of ordering some more Dixons......or should I try another brand?

You should avoid the Dixons, Clarks, Overtons etc as they are also made by the British. :D

You are safe with the Clares though as they are made by a French family in Ireland.

Did you know that it is thought that the whistle was brought to Ireland by the Vikings? The earliest remains of a whistle in Ireland was in a Viking settlement. The Irish preferred horn type instruments of bronze and yew wood of which you can see in museums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 am 

Adrian wrote:
You should avoid the Dixons, Clarks, Overtons etc as they are also made by the British. :D

You are safe with the Clares though as they are made by a French family in Ireland.

Did you know that it is thought that the whistle was brought to Ireland by the Vikings? The earliest remains of a whistle in Ireland was in a Viking settlement. The Irish preferred horn type instruments of bronze and yew wood of which you can see in museums.

Oh dang!!!!! Ok, but Dixon at least makes nice-looking whistles... and as good as the Clares.....maybe he's got an Irish aunt or something like that... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:36 am 

zoukie wrote:
Oh dang!!!!! Ok, but Dixon at least makes nice-looking whistles... and as good as the Clares.....maybe he's got an Irish aunt or something like that... 8)

Maybe he has. Tony lives near my sister so I'll get her to ask him next time she sees him. ;)

Have you tried the Gen Bb. Although technically a cheapie it is one of the most popular Bb whistles around. It is far better than the D. All the Gens need the putty tweak to make them playable IMO but the Bb is often the exception. You can scratch off the Made in England label. The two best Gens are the Eb and the Bb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 am 

Here goes. Sorry that the pictures aren't ideal, but I'm learning.

The Low Guys:

Low whistles L to R: Resonance, Bamboo D, Jubilee D, Dixon D (won from T.H.), Calmont D (practice), Reyburn D/Eb, Howard D and do-it-yourself C tube (by Tommy), Kerry Eb, Hoover pvc F, Chieftain F, Susato Low G, A and D with angle head, Water Weasel Bb and A, Burke G, Hoover G Koa Wood made from the leg of one of Mack's tables.

The Regular Guys:
L to R: Acorn, Melbay, 3 Feadogs (including Tommy Tweaked C), Tommy fipple Waltons, Soodlum, LBW, Burke DAN and C composite, O'Briens Bb through E, Generations Red (Tommy Tweaked Bb) and Blue, Gen C old style, Hoover whitecaps on Hoover and on Clare two-piece, O'Riordan anodized aluminum, Clarke Original C and D, Meg, Woodstock C, Susato Eb to Bb, Sindt C, Freeman Mellow Dog, James Galway, Granite Falls, Clare, Shaw Bb, C, D (last two Freeman tweaked), mystery ebay black whistle, Brady whistle, High-plains whistle (or something like that), yellow plastic whistle. Top Left: Mack blacktop with Bingamon tone-bodies F, D, C, B, A. Top Right: Copeland A. Bottom: Judy whistle C, 'Ashkar'(?) whistle in G, Hoover Bb with cool plumbing numbers.

The Abells:
Abell Eb/D/C combo, Bb/A combo, Low G, C/D Delrin combo, early model Eb/D combo.

The Others:
Most of these you'll know, so I won't name the obvious ones. The outside left and bottom are Chinese flutes (Dizi I think they're called). The two flutes to the right of the recorder are end-blown flutes (with a plug) and are from Asia. The two flutes toward the middle with a hole at the top and three finger holes in the middle are Polynesian nose flutes. The one toward the right with the fat belly is an Indian flute (snake charmer) that a student who knew I liked whistles brought back from a visit to India. It's very loud and I usually don't dare play it for fear of annoying the neighbors. The (end-blown) flute at the right side is from Thailand.

I don't have time or energy to write all of these down right now (though I'll get to them bit by bit). In the meantime, enjoy looking and figuring them out. Oh, and at least one of these whistles will be the one given in the great whistle-fest at the Praise Exchange.

For the record, only one of these whistle came from Blackhawk (the Burke Composite C). Mack and Mack 'N Daniel, Judy, and Tommy each are represented by a number of whistles here.

Edited to add: I've put up the brands of the whistles now.

Last edited by khl on Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 am 

Like I said, Keith's whistle collection is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.'

I'm impressed Keith!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:48 am 

Nice pix, Keith. I take it that Abell is your favorite brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:55 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Nice pix, Keith. I take it that Abell is your favorite brand?

He has the same number of Gens. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Keith, you need some serious help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 am 

KittyR wrote:
Keith, you need some serious help.

Me? 8) This could mean one of three things:

1. I need help getting more whistles because there are a few I don't have.
(There have been some that I've had and traded. Probably don't need more right now.)

2. I have too many whistles and need to give some away. (Yes. See the play for a whistle contest at the Praise Exchange.)

3. I should find another hobby.
(Nope. This hobby of collecting and playing suits me fine and leaves little time for other hobbies. Plus it's a hobby that even the neighbors can enjoy (at least when I'm not making the whistles honk or squawk).

There are only a few whistles I have that are bad whistles (and I won't sell or give them to someone else and I don't want to throw them away because they make my whistle collection look big). Beyond those few, I like all my whistles -- each has a distinct sound and fits particular songs and moods best. Being far away from shops or centers of whistle music, I couldn't borrow from friends, or stop by shops to hear what they sound like, so I've been watching carefully to buy or trade. (I always try to find a cheapie or a different kind of wind-blown instrument to bring back when I visit the mainland.) I've been fortunate to have found incredibly good deals on almost all of the high end whistles.

Blackhawk is right that the Abells are my favorite. I'll tell their story another time. Right now I've got to go teach my class on World Religions.

The standing invitation for all on PWA is that if you come to Hawaii you are welcome to stop by my house and play any of these you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am 

For those curious enough, I've put up the brands of the whistles and (most of) the flutes under the pictures. ;)

Post subject: Music and Books
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 pm 

Six Gens
Susato A & G
Dixon Low D
Hoover WhiteCap
Wicked Low G
2 Indian Flutes, Pan Pipes, Recorder
Yamaha 12 String
Ovation 6 String
Bible Commentary Shelf

Pastor Don in AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Don, that's a nice collection of instruments -- but I had to copy & paste the link to see them. Not nearly enough whistles or books -- you need to add more! :mrgreen:

Edited to say -- Yippee! You fixed it! \:D/

Last edited by Judy K on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 am 

Nice collection. Are you satisfied with these or do you need more? :-'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:38 am 
Site Admin

BAD Adrian! BAD!

Post subject: Books and Music
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am 

Its a modest collection Adrian, just bolstered by the Reviol C/D. But you must realize that I am a very late bloomer. After my trumpet went into the case after Jr. High, I went into a musical hiatus until I brought home the Ovation Guitar when I was 47 years old. I researched and dreamt and hung out in guitar stores, and yes, as I remember, bought it without my wifes permission, (this is a problem with me). For decades it was books, books, books. Reading and study were my passion, (still are).

Celtic Spiritual Music, Classical Music, Praise Choruses, saved me from an egghead existence and restored my soul. I have no greater joy than sitting with a believer and discussing the things of scripture and the Lord, but now, many times each day, I take a moment, .....

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee, How Great Thou Art,
How Great Thou Art.

A Music Lover

Don in AZ

Post subject: Re: Show Us Your Whistles!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 pm 

Always thought this was a fun thread, so here is most of my Woodwind section. Of course a few have been added since the photo :oops: , and there's one whistle on order but after that I'm done. When I get that I'll update the pic. I'm serious, stop laughing......

From L-R : Selmer Alto Sax, Yung 2.4 Shakuhachi, Tai Hei 1.8, Shingetsu 1.8, Singing Tree Native American style flute F#, Stellar kit G#, Billy Miller D flute, Alba Vibe low D Whistle, Bleazey G, Mack Hoover G, Ren Fair A, Burke composite A, Generation Bb, Susato B, Mello-Dog C, Generation D, Dixon D, Copeland D, Feadog Eb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

TC wrote:
When I get that I'll update the pic. I'm serious, stop laughing......

[snicker] :-'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 pm 

Nice collection TC. Which are your favourites?