Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Huge depression....... will I ever learn to play????????? :(
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:55 pm 

I just want to pour out all my grief and sorrow to you. Or.. just simply whine.

I haven't played music seriously for a while. Have been too busy. But, tonight after lots of packing, I decided to play some music, and I decided to record Angel Band for a Christian ladies' group I belong to (I post song lyrics and sometimes recordings but it's been a long time now that I haven't done any recordings). In August, I sounded quite ok, in my own opinion.

I recorded Angel Band with guitar, and wanted to add mandolin. The timing was too bad though. So I thought that maybe I'm better at the timing thing with the mandolin since I'm so used to play back-up mandolin at bluegrass jams. But, when I wanted to add guitar, it sounded awful, the timing was off, at least on my mandolin break.

I gave up, but thought that maybe I should try to record some whistle. Si bheag si mhor is a lovely piece and I know it well. But, the timing was worse than every, just SUCKS BIG TIME. Then I tried to first record bouzouki back-up and then whistle. But I didn't remember the chord progression without listening to the tune (haven't played back-up to it before). Tried again... realized that i start way too fast and then slow down a bit. Tried again... much slower start... but the tempo varies a lot.

I decided to go to bed instead and cry myself to sleep because I suck at everything. I used to be if not good at least ok!!!!!! What's happened????? And how can I practice my timing when my husband is away all the time and when he comes home we don't have time to play music... And my metronome is in a box somewhere... the sound on my computer doesn't work at the moment, so the online metronomes isn't an option. Btw I really think it's hard to play with certain metronomes.. Audacity's click track is ok for some reason.

I SUCK!!!
Please give me some encouragement. Maybe? Maybe? A little? :cry: ](*,)

Post subject: Patience, Dear!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:15 pm 

Susi,

They say next to losing a loved one, moving is the most stressful thing you can do. And since you and your husband are seperated by circumstances and your life in being placed into boxes, we understand your depression.

We do not want you to wallow in it too long though!

Music is supposed to be the blessed outlet for our creativity, not something to cause us to curse ourselves. Timing is everything, and this is your time for upheaval. Think about your dreams, your hopes, your future. Your skills will blossom again.

Pastor Don in AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

What he said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:16 pm 

Also what he said. Also you are awesome. I do not know you but I know this. All I see is you need practice. I know I';ve had days weeks months like that. Keep going :D

Web Page: http://yeruvan.googlepages.com
Blog: http://chiasticsarcast.livejournal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Whining is good for you, zoukie .... and we'll listen all you want.

Like Don said, moving is stressful. The more stress that you are under, the harder it will be to satisfy yourself on your playing. You are possibly hearing mistakes that no one would pick up. Don't play to record right now ... play to relax. Pick a song that soothes you and play it on your favorite instrument. Ignore any mistakes and just listen to the heart of the music. You have a rare talent in music. I know this from your playing -- so play for the fun and relaxation and just for yourself for the moment.

... and if this doesn't work, go for the chocolate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

(be safe... go for the chocolate first)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:31 pm 

My timing is some of the worst ever seen by mankind, so don't feel like you're the only one! But we try, we practice, and we improve...at some point. DON'T GIVE UP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Admin

You're on the right track (no pun intended) - use your click, especially to record.

If you don't like the click, or even just for fun, download some drum loops and play with those. There are lots of free ones on the internet.

Most important: lighten up !!!!! Have fun, don't beat yourself up. That's what we're here for :mrgreen: ! ... I'm kidding of course.

You can do it - just takes practice, which takes time, which you haven't had.

Persevere (sp.?) .... or just keep trying :D !

peace - jrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:30 am 

Actually, I asked my husband to buy me some CADBURY (is there a more beautiful word???) from Cork to me. He's coming home on Thursday at latest.

I'm not in the deepest gloom as I can be sometimes, maybe depression was a too powerful word. I don't feel better today but I'm so happy for your support and - maybe a strange word in this context - compassion!! In some circles, all folks would say in a thread like this would be - use your metronome! Without any understanding at all.

Thank you for your encouragement and wise insight. Yes, of course I should play for relaxation and for my own enjoyment... I do that too little. So tonight or between the packing of boxes I'm going to have fun with the bouzouki and maybe try a new Orsapolska on the fiddle. Playing music from Dalarna certainly is something I do ONLY for my own pleasure. It won't be much useful in Ireland and it isn't even useful here in this region. But I love it, it's the music above all of the Swedish music, all categories.

In the beginning of my recording days, if I had timing troubles, I used another recording to listen to and then play along with it while recording, to get the rhythm and timing right. After a while I didn't need it... so I guess it was a good thing.
Should I even be so definitive that i just simply pack down the sound card, cables and microphone? 8) I suppose it's best that I do it anyway because if I let Daniel do it, we'll never find them again. That's my husband in a nutshell. :mrgreen:

God's blessings to everyone!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Zoukie, CADBURY as a name is sublime. Play music from Dalarna, just for your own enjoyment. Play something that brings a lump in your throat, even if it's not perfect. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

If I get really stuck on learning a piece I will set it aside. And either play something I know really well or just start noodling around to see what comes out. Meditative playing if you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:02 am 

Hey, Zoukie, why don't you play something for Jesus? Think of Jesus being there listening and enjoying everything you play for Him, because I'm sure He will be there doing just that. If you make mistakes just carry on playing for Him because He'll be listening to your heart and He won't even notice the mistakes. :D

Shalom,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:53 pm 

IanG wrote:
Hey, Zoukie, why don't you play something for Jesus? Think of Jesus being there listening and enjoying everything you play for Him, because I'm sure He will be there doing just that. If you make mistakes just carry on playing for Him because He'll be listening to your heart and He won't even notice the mistakes. :D

Shalom,
Ian
Well said, Ian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:21 pm 

Yeah, that's a good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:31 pm 

Hi!

You started by saying that you had not played music seriously for quite a while but then decided tonight to record a tune with several different instruments. To me it seems unrealistic to think everything would go as smoothly and as well as the times you are practicing a lot. I think you are setting yourself an unrealistic goal. We all lose our edge when we stop playing regularly.

On top of that ALL musicians have bad days whether performing, recording in the studio or playing for personal pleasure and there is no reason that you will be able to escape those days.

You don't suck at everything and you are a gifted musician!

It's OK to cry. One of Britain's most formidable leaders was Mrs Thatcher. She was so strong and resolute and seemed to be impervious to all the world had to throw at her that she was called 'The Iron Lady'. I remember an interview with her on the TV when she was asked what she did when things got too much for her - "I go into a quiet room and have a good cry" was her unembarrassed reply. It's OK to cry

Praying for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:43 pm 

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Case in point....due to the time my vocal group takes up my poor whistles have languished a bit of late. The other night I picked up my Reyburn Low D and proceed to absolutely destroy O Holy Night... I mean destroy it....even my wife was like...baby that was horrible...Which is down from her usual non commital grunt which translates as - that wasn;t very good but I don't want to hurt your feelings :) - seriously it was awful..i felt like I was starting over at the whistle. Just for more grins and groans I picked up my other Low Ds and tried to whip a few notes from them...my wife nearly left the room...point being if you let something sit it just doesn't come back lickety split.

So pick up your whistle and play for a few days...don't try to record just play..play things you know well no matter if they are what you consider very easy. You have to give your muscles time to remember that they know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Shadoes is giving you good advice - a recording is absolutely unforgiving.

I recorded my alto sax on a blues/gospel song I wrote and played for my wife and she said it sounded " like someone that could play at one point, but that hadn't played in a LONG time". And she was right.

Don't get hung up on it ... just play some, then record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:53 pm 

Playing a different whistle often works for me. If one whistle does not want to be nice then back it goes in the bucket until it wants to behave meanwhile there are lots of others to choose from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If one whistle does not want to be nice then back it goes in the bucket until it wants to behave meanwhile there are lots of others to choose from.

A whistle time-out!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:27 pm 

jrc wrote:
Quote:
If one whistle does not want to be nice then back it goes in the bucket until it wants to behave meanwhile there are lots of others to choose from.

Yeah :thumbsup:

Love your avatar! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:30 pm 

That's why I play so many different instruments....... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
jrc wrote:
Quote:

Yeah :thumbsup:

Love your avatar! :D

Yeah I like him too ... there's something about wolves ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:32 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Hi!

You started by saying that you had not played music seriously for quite a while but then decided tonight to record a tune with several different instruments. To me it seems unrealistic to think everything would go as smoothly and as well as the times you are practicing a lot. I think you are setting yourself an unrealistic goal. We all lose our edge when we stop playing regularly.

On top of that ALL musicians have bad days whether performing, recording in the studio or playing for personal pleasure and there is no reason that you will be able to escape those days.

Listen to Adrian! That is what I also read in your account. To go from a time of sparse practice to recording is asking for discouragement. Play for fun for awhile, pay attention to your timing, and you'll be surprised when you turn on the mike.
Sometimes I let my timing get sloppy, without even knowing it. It is at those times I want to buy a pistol to shoot my recorder with!
But, with attention, things get better.

In short, sometimes we ALL suck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 am 

My sense of timing and tempo is rather soft. I did some multi-track recording a couple of years ago, and it was really difficult to get the tracks aligned properly. When I'm singing solos, I don't much care for working with accompaniment tracks either - they are unforgiving.

The style of playing that I've developed actually depends on this. Since mando and whistle aren't lead instruments in our praise and worship band, I make a game of leaving the melody (and tempo at times) to improvise. I like the challenge of letting the lead melody start, then jumping in late and playing catch-up by the end of the phrase. It's like Willy Nelson's phrasing while singing.

Mark

Whistle and Squeak: Folk, Traditional, Hymns, and Carols with Pennywhistle Tablature and Sound Files