Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Evening Sky
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:13 pm 

God decided to show us some of His art work tonight ... these are a few ot the things I saw.

Post subject: Re: Evening Sky
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:32 pm 

Wow!! Good job, Jim!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:04 am 

Stunning! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:48 am 

Great pictures Jim! I walked out of the library this evening and saw something similar but it was a little later and the shades were pinks and purples. GOD was showing some mighty fancy brushwork and I am glad I was able to catch a small glimpse today, also glad you where able to share it with everyone here.

Side question... have you or Adrian noticed that the cameras "iris" setting seems to capture more light than what the eye sees during sunrise/sunset pictures and have you found good adjustments yet? I have played around some with shutter speed and such but still find these type pictures to be a little "brighter" than the actual scene. Any tips would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:40 am 

Micheal wrote:
Great pictures Jim! I walked out of the library this evening and saw something similar but it was a little later and the shades were pinks and purples. GOD was showing some mighty fancy brushwork and I am glad I was able to catch a small glimpse today, also glad you where able to share it with everyone here.

Side question... have you or Adrian noticed that the cameras "iris" setting seems to capture more light than what the eye sees during sunrise/sunset pictures and have you found good adjustments yet? I have played around some with shutter speed and such but still find these type pictures to be a little "brighter" than the actual scene. Any tips would be appreciated.

I think Jim and I both tend to use manual settings for shots like these. There is not much need for light meters these days so photographers just take a test shot with guessed settings and adjust after looking at the display and it's histogram. Once you get used to doing this it is very fast to do and saves a lot of time playing with the internal meter.

I know you said you played with the speed settings but you should do this in MANUAL not in a semi-auto mode like speed-priority.

Remember: your first shot is a test shot so ALWAYS look at the result and the histogram before continuing with further shots.

If you don't want to guess at a test shot manual setting you can use an auto mode to take a camera light reading and then switch to manual and dial in the settings by hand > take the test shot > check the review screen and histogram for > adjust to compensate and use those settings for that series of shots.

There are other ways of dealing with this problem. Most cameras these days have an exposure compensation button which allows you to darken or lighten a shot without having to think about f-stops and shutter speeds.

For your sunrise & sunset photos ideally you want to use a tripod (even a table top one) or a photographer's bean bag (ziplock bag with rice or beans in it) and use a shutter release (or cheat by using the self timer on a compact). Chose a low ISO like 100 for highest quality and lowest noise, esp on a compact. The highest quality part of a lens is the middle so for the sharpest shot set the camera to have a small aperture. Guess a speed and take a test shot. Adjust accordingly according by looking at the review screen and histogram. After you have done this on ten occasions it will become second nature and you will be able to get perfect sunset shots quickly every time.

Yet another option is to use auto exposure bracketing. Many cameras will allow you to take three pictures at once. One picture will be taken according to the internal meter and then one lighter and one darker.

Even yet another quick and easy fix, esp if you don't want a high quality photo, is to set the metering to centre-weighted or spot reading, then point to a light part of the sky and activate the auto exposure lock, recompose and shoot. You can take readings from various parts of the sky and repeat the above.

Finally, the key rule is: EXPERIMENT a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:19 am 

I would guess a good sturdy tripod would also come in handy.

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:36 am 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
I would guess a good sturdy tripod would also come in handy.

Aha, you thought I forgot, but in paragraph 6 above... ;) You are quite right of course. Bean bags are also popular as an alternative to a tripod today (also mentioned in the tripod paragraph above). The bean bag approach is great as a ziplock bag is so much lighter than a decent tripod and much cheaper than one of these:

Monopods are popular today but are intended to support heavy lenses e.g. for sports photographers and offer only very limited help with camera shake. They are fantastic for stabilising videos though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:49 pm 

That monopod is a pretty good idea to photograpy a bird nest but would take a lot of shots to make sure I was pointing at the nest. I don't know if I could aim it very well but given enough tries ... could probably get one keeper. :-k :roll: :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:48 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
That monopod is a pretty good idea to photograpy a bird nest but would take a lot of shots to make sure I was pointing at the nest. I don't know if I could aim it very well but given enough tries ... could probably get one keeper. :-k :roll: :D

The nest would not be difficult with your S3IS or my Fuji 9600 as they both have swing out screens! I have used the monopod like this and it does work well. High shots of groups can work very well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:53 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

The nest would not be difficult with your S3IS or my Fuji 9600 as they both have swing out screens! I have used the monopod like this and it does work well. High shots of groups can work very well.

I wasn't thinking about the S3IS but you are right ... on the screen ... will be on the lookout for nest in the spring. No cable release but maybe I can use the time delay to give me time to position the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:18 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

I wasn't thinking about the S3IS but you are right ... on the screen ... will be on the lookout for nest in the spring. No cable release but maybe I can use the time delay to give me time to position the camera.

Jim
There are a couple of options for you if you want to take your pictures remotely with the S3. One is to connect the camera to a laptop with a USB lead and take the photos with the laptop. The other option is to use a cable release bracket. These can be fitted onto any camera and allow you to take pictures with a standard cable release without needing a threaded shutter button.