Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Recorder Recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 pm 

I would like to get an inexpensive wooden recorder. I am tired of that plasticy sound on the low end. Today I was in a music shop and saw a Hohner soprano wooden recorder for a mere $31.50. Is it any good? Is there something else that is good at a cheap price?

Psalms 118:24

Post subject: Re: Recorder Recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:35 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
I would like to get an inexpensive wooden recorder. I am tired of that plasticy sound on the low end. Today I was in a music shop and saw a Hohner soprano wooden recorder for a mere $31.50. Is it any good? Is there something else that is good at a cheap price?

The thing to do is try it out and see if you like the sound and playability. Rather than just play a tune on it also play a slow scale and listen for squeaks and squawks. Does it play well and sound nice above second octave G.

An alternative to completely wooden recorder is a hybrid. Two good ones we use are the Mollenhauer Prima (baroque sound) and the Mollenhauer Dream (Renaissance sound i.e. more like a whistle). These have the advantages of being low cost, no plastic sound, play much better than most cheap wooden recorders, head will not split from overplaying.

Moek make a hybrid called the Flauto I plus.

I'm like you in that I really dislike the plastic sound of recorders esp sopranos. We have some quality recorders in our collection but the hybrids compare favorably to the wooden ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:19 pm 

RonKiley, did you get a recorder yet?

I was also thinking of getting one. After I heard her play with Kitty, in the video, "For The Coming King", I asked LisaD what she would recommend. She highly recommended the Yamaha Alto 312B or 314B......the simulated woodgrain, plastic ones, seeing that I didn't know if I would like the recorder and do it long term. I also checked out everyone else's recommendations. I then realized that I had a Trubadour soprano plastic recorder that I had bought many years ago. I took it out and have been learning the Baroque fingering. What I really like about the recorder is that it's chromatic. I did buy the Yamaha Alto, 312B - simulated Rosewood - recorder. I just bought it on eBay and hope it will be mailed tomorrow. If I decide it's not for me, I won't have invested very much. But, if I really like it, I will eventually get a wooden one. :D

Lyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:58 pm 

Lyn

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Yamaha 312B. It's a model I like a lot as well. It plays much better than most cheap wooden recorders we have tried. The soprano in this series is also great. They can both clog a little in the winter months but you soon get used to clearing them as you play.

This is the soprano. We have 3-4 of these kicking around in our house.

Hope your alto comes SOON.

The lower priced range is also extremely good. They have a great tone and feel solid and well made compared to the cheapie Aulos models. Additionaly this Yamaha range have the added benifit of not clogging very much in the cold e.g. when out carol singing on the streets. Personally I prefer the white ones to the plasticy looking brown ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:25 am 

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your insight. You put to rest my question of the Aulos. I'm glad I didn't get one. What is it about the white Yamaha that you prefer over the brown ones? the color? the sound? or? I hope I really like playing them, because they're chromatic and can play in any key. They are more versatile than the whistle. Got to go to an appointment now, I'll talk later. I may think of another question. :)

Lyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:50 am 

Lyn D wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your insight. You put to rest my question of the Aulos. I'm glad I didn't get one. What is it about the white Yamaha that you prefer over the brown ones? the color? the sound? or? I hope I really like playing them, because they're chromatic and can play in any key. They are more versatile than the whistle. Got to go to an appointment now, I'll talk later. I may think of another question. :)

Lyn

I like the white Yamahas for the look compared to the shiny brown plastic look. They sound and feel the same. I can't bear the sound look and feel of the very cheap Aulos recorders BUT Aulos do make some very nice plastic ones as well. The all time best plastic soprano I have found is the old White Spot Aulos 503A, it is IMO a teeny weeny bit nicer than the Yamaha you have ordered.

If you go for a soprano one day then you'll find the Aulos 207 to be a favourite of many players. The best plastic tenor around it the Aulos 511W and is so easy to play even in the highest range and without the hiccups of the Yamaha version.

I hope you enjoy your recorder. If you visit Ireland you even discover some whistlers using them. They are no more difficult to play Irish ornaments on than a whistle. As for being chromatic I used to play flute and a rosewood soprano recorder for some years at church and they were all I needed as both are chromatic. THEN I rediscovered the whistle and suddenly i find myself with a sackful of instruments to take to church.

If you love the whistle sound over the recorder then almost certainly you will one day want a renaissance type of recorder with its purer sound and stronger bell note. There is fortunately a low cost one available now called the Mollenhauer Dreamflute. The pic below is an all wooden one but there are low cost all plastic versions that sound almost the same and cost only $26 in the US.

I enjoy the recorder but it does eat up time practising scales etc.

Let us know what you think of the Yamaha when it arrives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:22 pm 

I did buy a recorder. I got a Hohner soprano all wood. I like it a lot. It has a much nicer tone than my plastic ones. BTW I do not like it because it is chromatic. In fact I only play in D or G. A Dream Flute hybrid is on the list but it will probably come after my Burke D Brass session whistle. An Every whistle may be on the list too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 pm 

Hi Ron,

Did you get the Hohner in pearwood, with the cherry stain? Or what wood is it? If I stick with it, I would like the Dream flute hybrid, also, in blue. I have a Burke DBSBT. It's my praise whistle, and I love it! The Every whistle is calling to me, because you can make it real quiet. We seem to have the same taste in whistles. :D

Lyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:55 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
BTW I do not like it because it is chromatic. In fact I only play in D or G. A Dream Flute hybrid is on the list

Ron, I think that is a very wise use of the recorder if you have limited practice time.

We have every version of the Dream Flute except the tenor. Of the sopranos I enjoy playing the hybrid the best. They sound the same as our all-wood versions but have a much nicer beak and have the added advantage that they can be played for hours without risk of splitting the head. I once played one of our all-wood soprano Dreamflutes for an hour non-stop and the wood swelled so that I could not separate the instrument for two or three days. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

I just ordered the Dream flute (soprano) in blue/wood combo. I'm so excited! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Dana wrote:
I just ordered the Dream flute (soprano) in blue/wood combo.

Image Ooooooooooooo, you have been chosen!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:55 pm 

Good for you, Dana! I'd be excited too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Now I just have to be patient for it to arrive. It shipped today.
Tarnation, why can't I get the smiles to work?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Dunno. :-k :-s ](*,)

:idea: Do you have them turned off in your profile, or in this post?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:47 pm 

Geeezz! I love the look of the all wood Dream soprano recorder!!! :love:

Lyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm 

My Hohner is the Pearwood with cherry stain. I have the Every tour whistle here now. It is a very nice whistle, good tone, loud or soft. I believe my JudyK is much better. I try to learn a new fingering on the recorder each week. But the fully chromatic fingering may be beyond my ability to remember. My granddaughter was here with her standard orchestral flute. I tried it; I prefer my Casey Burns folk flute.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Dunno. :-k :-s ](*,)

:idea: Do you have them turned off in your profile, or in this post?

Funny, the smilies are working for me now, with no setting changes. :sunny2: :joker: :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:01 am 

AAAhhhhhhhh!! My recorder did not come today. Now I'll have to wait TWO MORE DAYS because it's the weekend..........:shock:...........:cry:.............:x

Dana,

Where did you order your Dream flute from?

Lyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 pm 

I have bought several recorders at garage sales for only a dollar or two. The only one I have kept is an Aulos. I don't know which one it is, but there is a number on the back 303A-E
I do not play it chromatic, only in the key D as the finger sequence is the same as a whistle.
Also have a Hohner F alto of wood. We heard they were starting a recorder group at the local junior college but it never came about. We did play one time in church with Ann piano, Sharon on another alto F, myself with the Hohner, and Elise sang Amazing Grace. I played the melody line, and Sharon played the bass line. There is something magic when playing together. When two different notes sound new. Sort of like more than one spice in a food to give a great new flavor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:47 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
In fact I only play in D or G. A Dream Flute hybrid is on the list

How do you finger the C natural?

The dream flute is on my list also.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:50 pm 

Dana wrote:
I just ordered the Dream flute (soprano) in blue/wood combo. I'm so excited! :mrgreen:

Good for you. \:D/ Could you give us a link where to find them :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:45 pm 

Tommy I play it similar to the whistle.

oxo oooo with the back hole covered.

Of course when swapping from whistle to recorder and back my fingers get confused. I know what I am doing but my fingers do their own thing. I have played the C below the line with all holes covered on the few tunes that call for it. I will probably add the G# fingering to my knowledge for those that call for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:20 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
Tommy I play it similar to the whistle.

oxo oooo with the back hole covered.

Thanks Ron, that works great. Now if I can get use to it.
Interesting though this oxx ooo does nothing on the recorder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Tommy, I bought my dream flute from Unicorn music, at http://www.buyrecorders.com/. Good prices, and quick response to my questions. My recorder shipped Friday, I hope to get it Monday. [-o<

Dana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:29 pm 

Dana wrote:
Tommy, I bought my dream flute from Unicorn music, at http://www.buyrecorders.com/. Good prices, and quick response to my questions. My recorder shipped Friday, I hope to get it Monday. [-o<

Dana

Thank you Dana, looking forward to hearing you tell us about it Monday.