Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Wooden whistle care - break in period?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:19 pm 

I just got a wooden whistle in the mail. Or, anyway, it was sold as a wooden whistle. It feels a like it might be a "wood look" laminate something or other. Anyway, is there anything you have to do with a wooden wind instrument that's different from a metal one? And what about the wood block in a Clarke? (Never saw one of those before today, either!)

Thanks for any help!

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

Post subject: Re: Wooden whistle care - break in period?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:50 pm 

Shan,

I took this from Phil Bleazey's website (I have one of his Irish flutes :flute: ). A wooden wind instrument has to be played (broken) in when you first get it. It should be played only about 10 minutes a day for the first week, then, second week: 20 minutes. Then, it should be allright to play it for as long as you like. You must swab (dry) it, after each time you play. He even says to oil the instrument before playing it for the first time.

Lyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:28 pm 

Scroll through John's page on recorder information and you'll find a lot of useful information on caring for wooden instruments. There are tips on oiling. He is a very experienced repairer of wooden instruments. If you have any questions then do write to him as he is always very keen to help and will give you comprehensive answers.

http://www.saundrecs.co.uk/iframe.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 am 
Site Admin

If your whistle is new, it will require a break in period. If you bought it used, it shouldn't. There have been lots of debates on the proper oils to use, when to oil, what parts of the whistle not to oil. Think of your whistle as a fine piece of furniture. Dry it out when you're done playing, oil it (sweet almond oil with a few drops of Vit E oil is one choice of oil blend) every 4-6 weeks the first 6 months, then less often. Oil more often in winter when the air is much drier. It's a common sense judgment. When it seems dry, oil it.

On the Clarke, I've never heard of anyone worrying about oiling the block. It probably collects enough moisture through being played. Don't know for sure -- I've just never oiled mine and it's 6 years old and fine.

:-k .... so inquiring minds wanna know ..... what whistle did you get? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 am 

Shan wrote:
I just got a wooden whistle in the mail. Or, anyway, it was sold as a wooden whistle. It feels a like it might be a "wood look" laminate

If it is a Laminate it will not need anything except keeping it clean. If it is wood read Judy's post.

It is common for a Clark with a wood block to change the tone after playing for a week or two when new. No two pieces of wood are identical. When the Clark wood block gets wet it will change shape and the wind surface will change. This may make it sound better, worse or maybe no change. It can be repaired very easy by removing the block and sanding the wind surface with 600 grit emery paper or greater. Then wet the block and let it dry sand again. The grain of the wood will raise when it is wet and stay up after drying. Do this about three times and the wind surface should come out smooth as glass. Put it back in the whistle, and adjust the position for best performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm 

Thanks for the info! You guys are great. 8)

Judy, the wooden whistle was listed in Tayberry's database as "Wooden Pennywhistle - D - Canvas bag", but it was only $10 so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't think I like it... or it doesn't like me. I wasn't looking for a duck call, but wow, can I make this thing honk without even trying! :roll: The clarke says it's an "original" on my receipt, but it's plain black without the gold diamonds down the front that I'm used to seeing in web vendor pics, so I don't know if it's "original" or not. Sounds really cool, though, and I like it better unfancy-fied.

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Shan wrote:
Thanks for the info! You guys are great. 8)

Judy, the wooden whistle was listed in Tayberry's database as "Wooden Pennywhistle - D - Canvas bag", but it was only $10 so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't think I like it... or it doesn't like me. I wasn't looking for a duck call, but wow, can I make this thing honk without even trying! :roll: The clarke says it's an "original" on my receipt, but it's plain black without the gold diamonds down the front that I'm used to seeing in web vendor pics, so I don't know if it's "original" or not. Sounds really cool, though, and I like it better unfancy-fied.

There was something somewhere - maybe the Chiff board - about Clarke getting a lot of flack because of the 'tacky' diamonds, and they briefly made them without and then resumed production with the diamonds. I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

Personally, the diamonds never bothered me; hardly noticed until I read that thread somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 am 
Site Admin

I found it - it was the chiff site:

Quote:
UPDATE! The people at Clarke read the above copy and have been good sports about my "hideously tacky gold diamonds" remark. Not only that, they just started producing the black version of the Clarke without the hideous diamonds (and will continue to make the traditional model with the diamonds.) (I suggested that they name the new ones "Dale's Naked Black Splendour" but they understandably declined.) Also new from Clarke, ongoing R&D regarding future products! Rumors of a Low D.

We can blame Dale I suppose :) .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Shan, my Clarke had the diamonds -- but they wore off. I like the sleek black look of it. Not sure much can be done with a $10 wooden whistle to make it playable. However, asking Tommy if he has time to check it out and maybe tweak it (he doesn't charge too much) might help a bunch. He'll be able to tell ya if there's any hope. Dr. Tommy works wonders on some pretty poor whistles!