Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Angry Sky last night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:49 pm 

Sky was wild last night ... but we got nothing out of it except wind.

I think Spring may be here today ... could last a day or so and then we will probably change again.

Post subject: Re: Angry Sky last night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

wow ... God does some amazing work!

thanks for sharing Jim - nice photo!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm 

Beautiful! Is that with your new DSLR Jim?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Beautiful! Is that with your new DSLR Jim?

Yes ... untouched ... as shot ... God did the work ... I was just allowed to record it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:22 am 

Amazing! I'm glad you didn't get any wild weather.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 am 

Absolutely breathtaking!!!!
How I wish I could take photos like that.

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:48 am 

larrym wrote:
Absolutely breathtaking!!!!
How I wish I could take photos like that.

You can take pictures like that! So that experiments, mistakes and multiple pictures don't cost money you only need a half decent digital camera rather than a film one. A camera with some zoom, an adjustable white balance and an exposure lock would be ideal for pictures like that.

This is just one example. Ask Kitty and Jim for others.

This camera costs only about $100 now and I'll guarantee that you'll get stunning sunrise & sunset pictures with it.

You can take pictures like Jim's and I hope you will!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 am 

Adrian, I do have a digital camera but I haven't used it but one or two times. Hmmmm, maybe I should get it out and read the owners' manual? :-k

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 am 

Larry,

You see .. (quoting the English/Greek gentleman) YOu need to carry the camera with you .. everywhere you go and you need to shoot many pictures daily .. it helps you to learn to "see" and soon you begin to imagine shots in your head and then ... you are hooked! LOL

Adrian told me that many times and I only half listened to him. then .. one day my camera was home and the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen began and by the time I got home ....it was over. Now .. my camera and I go everywhere.

Another thing ... I may shoot 50 shots on one subject or one area and only keep a couple .. with digital .. I just erase the ones I don't want ... no additonal expense.

To me Adrian's picture on the lake is what it is all about ... he got the light just right .... the location just right ... the ripple on the water .. the reflections ... and the reeds were all in a perfect placement to give that shot. Oh ... and the rocks in the foreground locked it. The more you shoot .... the more you begin to see such a shot formed in your mind.... and then if you have your camera .. you capture it.

Larry .. take the camera out of the box .. and learn to use it. You will begin to develop a hobby that will last you a lifetime. Then when you are old as I .. you can remember fondly events .. such as the picture I took when we crossed the Red Sea on dry land! Now .. that was a Kodak moment! :laughing:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
Another thing ... I may shoot 50 shots on one subject or one area and only keep a couple .. with digital .. I just erase the ones I don't want ... no additonal expense.

Guess what? That is exactly how the professionals do it. Ever watch one of those shows about models? Watch the photographer and listen to his camera.all you hear is click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click...think all those shots get kept? Nope. they surf thru hundreds sometimes thousands of shots for that ONE good.

I have heard the same thing in interviews with award winning photographers. They talk about spending hours going thru shots and throwing out tons of them. Heck I do that when I take pics at renfairs and such. you never see the really bad ones hehe. And if I got really picky and only kept the ones I thought were really good I might get half a dozen shots per faire hehe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 am 

I spent the last 2 nights going through a lot of my old shots looking for ones that weren't.. straight ... red eye ... improper exposure ... etc. My wife uses them with her students in photoshop. I didn't have any trouble finding enough to satisfy her!!! :oops:

Shad ... when you in costume .. you look good ... hmmmm.... better stop there.. :-k :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am 

Jim Wright wrote:
Larry,

You see .. (quoting the English/Greek gentleman) YOu need to carry the camera with you .. everywhere you go and you need to shoot many pictures daily .. it helps you to learn to "see" and soon you begin to imagine shots in your head and then ... you are hooked! LOL

Adrian told me that many times and I only half listened to him. then .. one day my camera was home and the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen began and by the time I got home ....it was over. Now .. my camera and I go everywhere.

To me Adrian's picture on the lake is what it is all about ... he got the light just right .... the location just right ... the ripple on the water .. the reflections ... and the reeds were all in a perfect placement to give that shot. Oh ... and the rocks in the foreground locked it. The more you shoot .... the more you begin to see such a shot formed in your mind.... and then if you have your camera .. you capture it.

Larry .. take the camera out of the box .. and learn to use it. You will begin to develop a hobby that will last you a lifetime. Then when you are old as I .. you can remember fondly events .. such as the picture I took when we crossed the Red Sea on dry land! Now .. that was a Kodak moment! :laughing:

Thank you for the "tutorial". And what you say certainly rings true - why did I (well, my wife, actually) spend all that money on something that's just been sitting around taking up space. Now I need to follow through on the advice I've been given here.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
Shad ... when you in costume .. you look good ... hmmmm.... better stop there.. :-k :)

Thanks. This is my favorite one

http://www.shadoespace.net/miscpics/Edward.jpg

I actually like that picture of me. hehe. I have an avatar sized version of that pic I use on a lot of boards now. I have the two either the one I use here that is a year old of my on stage last January or that one above which is only about 4 months old now haha. That is the one shot we use for me in the Landloch'd promo package. Taken by the way with my 4 megapixel cannon with no correction done of any sort.

Oh and here is one of my wife and I year before last at OKRF

http://www.shadoespace.net/miscpics/ED_RF_M_sm.jpg

ahh ren fairs.. gotta love em :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:47 am 

I must have missed something. When did you get a DSLR Jim? What kind?, etc. I took several hundred pictures at Fairchild Gardens. I may have 6 that I really like. I have hundreds of pictures of my one great granddaughter and they are all good. You can't take a bad picture of her. Listen to them Larry. Take it with you everywhere. But don't blame us if it gets expensive.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:21 am 

But don't blame us if it gets expensive.

Well I'm sure not gonna blame myself, Ron!!!

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:32 am 

Shad ... am thinking you have just a little of the "ham " in you .. you make a good rogue! If we could get Les in costume and you at the same time .... He could be the good guy (even if it might be a bit of a reach for him :laughing: ) and you could be the villan!!! :thumbsup:

Ron ... I bought the Canon Rebel XTi .... and like it a lot ... came with a couple of lens ... I am done on buying anything until my wife quits checking the funds so closely!!! :) Ron .. you are right .. grand kids seldom take bad pictures ... think it is because of the young skin and looks ... now Shad on the other hand has to work at looking good and your mileage may vary ... even then!!! \:D/ :laughing:

Larry ... you are a smart guy ... blame Ron .... he has the guilty look most of the time anyway! :laughing:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:36 am 

larrym wrote:
Adrian, I do have a digital camera but I haven't used it but one or two times. Hmmmm, maybe I should get it out and read the owners' manual? :-k

Fantastic!!!

Get it out NOW and take millions of photos of everything. Keep it on automatic for about a month till you get used to it. Take it EVERYWHERE with you or it will not be with you when a perfect shot presents itself. Never take one shot of something when you can take 10-20

You had better tell us the make and model of your camera so we can read the instruction manual for you as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
Shad ... am thinking you have just a little of the "ham " in you .. you make a good rogue!

Me? A Ham? nooooooo hahah... okay maybe a little... yea ok.. a lot. I love performance. And to be honest..not to sidetrack the topic of cameras - I had a lot of problems with that for awhile. But that is way off topic.. ooo speaking of roguish.. here is my rascal look hahaha

http://www.shadoespace.net/miscpics/Me_Argh.jpg hahahaha

back on topic, I often wish I had my camera with me. I might have to look into purchasing one that will fit in my pocket like one of the above.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 pm 

Adrian wrote:
larrym wrote:

Fantastic!!!

Get it out NOW and take millions of photos of everything. Keep it on automatic for about a month till you get used to it. Take it EVERYWHERE with you or it will not be with you when a perfect shot presents itself. Never take one shot of something when you can take 10-20

You had better tell us the make and model of your camera so we can read the instruction manual for you as well.

It's a Canon PowerShot A570 IS. And you'd better read the instruction manual for me - when it comes to technical things I'm stupified!!!

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:
Shad ... am thinking you have just a little of the "ham " in you .. you make a good rogue!

Me? A Ham? nooooooo hahah... okay maybe a little... yea ok.. a lot. I love performance. And to be honest..not to sidetrack the topic of cameras - I had a lot of problems with that for awhile. But that is way off topic.. ooo speaking of roguish.. here is my rascal look hahaha

http://www.shadoespace.net/miscpics/Me_Argh.jpg hahahaha

back on topic, I often wish I had my camera with me. I might have to look into purchasing one that will fit in my pocket like one of the above.

Ok .. I guess we can work on that look!!! LOL get the camera ... just don't beat it to death with a foil... maybe you better let your wife carry it .. am thinking she probably scores more than you .... \:D/ \:D/ :thumbsup:

Larry ... Adrain is the reader .. I am the "try it and then ask Adrian why it doesn't work" type. But .. can tell you to take it out of the box .. make sure batteries are ok .. remover or open lens cover .... turn it on in automatic and point it at someone/something and shoot ... and then ask Adrian ... what happened ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:19 pm 

I think I can handle that, Jim.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:45 pm 

larrym wrote:
I think I can handle that, Jim.

Larry

Then you are up on me ... I kept pushing the power button .... but it turned out to be the power off button .. there was something else I had to do to turn it on. I didn't have to ask Adrian about that one but it took awhile to figure it out!!! :laughing:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
Ok .. I guess we can work on that look!!! LOL get the camera ... just don't beat it to death with a foil... maybe you better let your wife carry it .. am thinking she probably scores more than you .... \:D/ \:D/ :thumbsup:

My wife does take a lot of pics for us when I am performing actually. She does well and gets better each time. That is the one thing I don't like about performing at all the fairs I go to now. Even when off stage I stay in character a lot and thus do not carry my 'fairy box' with me. Again this is why I need a smaller more easily concealed one.

Will have to wait until after the house is repaired though :) Should get the new carport in tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 pm 

Larry, let's get something straight here. JIM was a pro photographer when he lived in Europe and he is just being humble when he pretends he knows zilch about cameras. On the other hand I am a rank amateur who posts lots of pictures simply because I love photos that show the beauty of God's creation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 pm 

Ok .. now .. you are messing up again Adrian lol

I know about cameras .. as in film ... I do not know about digital.

I was a wedding and studio photographer not a "photographer"

There was a 30+ year off period .. when I came back to the US... when all I did was point and shoot if I shot at all. Was some video mixed in but that doesn't count.

And you post lots of pictures because you shoot good pictures ... if you didn't you wouldn't put them up I am thinking!! :D

And ... we both get a kick out of showing what God is doing .. or has done.

Think that covers it .... oh and Adrian likes to get in the water to get a shot and I prefer dry land..... warm temperatures ... and after lunch for my shots.

Did I leave anything out Adrian :-k :)