Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Gradually I'm rebuilding my whistle collection. Well, not so gradually actually - I've already 8 here with me now with 5 more coming in the not-so-distant future. I'm considering now a Kerry Songbird and was curious whether anyone here might own one or might have played one and if so could you tell me your opinion of the whistle? Also, should I order directly from Phil Hardy or another source? Thanks in advance for any/every one's help.


_____________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 am
Posts: 232
Overton

_________________
Hmmmmm....... Just had a thought.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
I have listened to them and they sound wonderful, although I have not played one. jrc plays Chieftains.

Like Tommy I'd also prefer an Overton to a Chieftain but I realise that they are not everyone's cup of tea.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
I had an Overton once upon a time and loved it. Now I was thinking about the Kerry just to see the difference but now after both you and Tommy voicing your thoughts.... woe is me, decisions, decisions....


___________________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:25 am
Posts: 830
Location: Richmond, VA
I have a Cheiftain low d that I've grown into - didn't like it much at first, but we're OK now.
I have nothing to compare it to, though. I like the sound of every Overton I've heard.

_________________
Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.
Habbakuk 2:4


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 am
Posts: 232
larrym wrote:
I had an Overton once upon a time and loved it. Now I was thinking about the Kerry just to see the difference but now after both you and Tommy voicing your thoughts.... woe is me, decisions, decisions....


___________________________

Larry


Hmmmm.... OK OK here is the way it really is. I have an Overton low D, and an old
chieftain low C. I would not take anything for either of them.

_________________
Hmmmmm....... Just had a thought.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a low D in either make - the finger stretch is just too tough for these aging digits of mine.
Now, to get an Overton soprano D I just go to thei website and email Goldie?


____________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am
Posts: 639
Location: California
larrym wrote:
Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a low D in either make - the finger stretch is just too tough for these aging digits of mine.
Now, to get an Overton soprano D I just go to thei website and email Goldie?


____________________

Larry

Not if you are all right with a non tunable one. With the dollar to euro exchanged, shipping alone will be more than $45. But Doc Jones has a used one here (scroll down the page):
http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/products.php?pw=1

Doc is great to deal with and offers a money back guarantee.

_________________
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
William Butler Yeats


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Thanks for the tip, Blackhawk, but alas, by the time I read your post and went to the website the Copeland was marked as sold :(
You are spot on about Doc, though. When he says "whistles for those who don't want to wait" he certainly means it. I've gotten a Reyburn and a Black Diamond from him and they both arrived within three days of placing my order.


______________________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:12 pm
Posts: 161
Location: East Longmeadow, MA
Larry,

Tell Doc you're looking for one. He told me once, 'if you're looking for something and you don't see it, just ask.' Sometimes, he has one that he hasn't listed yet. It's worth checking into.

_________________
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Thanks, Lyn, I'll give that a shot!


______________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am
Posts: 639
Location: California
Larry, here's another idea...I play mostly by myself, and these days I play mostly non Irish music, so I rarely play D whistles unless they are called for at church. I mostly play Bnat, Bb, A and low G because I like the sound better. And on that same website Doc still has Overtons available in both C and Bb. If you don't need a D for public playing, those are good deals.

_________________
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
William Butler Yeats


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
I noticed that, Blackhawk, and was thinking about maybe getting a Bb. Thanks for the "prodding"!!


___________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
Blackhawk wrote:
Larry, here's another idea...I play mostly by myself, and these days I play mostly non Irish music, so I rarely play D whistles unless they are called for at church. I mostly play Bnat, Bb, A and low G because I like the sound better. And on that same website Doc still has Overtons available in both C and Bb. If you don't need a D for public playing, those are good deals.


Interesting! I very rarely play a D or C and instead play almost exclusively B, A and F whistles (all Overtons of course) and the B is played probably 80% of my practice time. I have no great longing for other whistles these days. One day I'll get Susato G# and F# for the church whistle bag but there is no rush.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am
Posts: 639
Location: California
Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Larry, here's another idea...I play mostly by myself, and these days I play mostly non Irish music, so I rarely play D whistles unless they are called for at church. I mostly play Bnat, Bb, A and low G because I like the sound better. And on that same website Doc still has Overtons available in both C and Bb. If you don't need a D for public playing, those are good deals.


Interesting! I very rarely play a D or C and instead play almost exclusively B, A and F whistles (all Overtons of course) and the B is played probably 80% of my practice time. I have no great longing for other whistles these days. One day I'll get Susato G# and F# for the church whistle bag but there is no rush.
Adrian, is your B a Bnat or a Bb?

_________________
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
William Butler Yeats


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am
Posts: 1192
Location: Rodhope Mountains, Greece
It is a B not a Bb. There is very rarely a need to write Bnat instead of B just as there is no need to write Dnat instead of D.

Before I had my Overtons the whistle I played the most for a rich sound was the Susato B.

Which B do you play? Abell?


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am
Posts: 639
Location: California
Adrian wrote:
It is a B not a Bb. There is very rarely a need to write Bnat instead of B just as there is no need to write Dnat instead of D.

Before I had my Overtons the whistle I played the most for a rich sound was the Susato B.

Which B do you play? Abell?

No, it's a Humphrey.

_________________
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
William Butler Yeats


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Germantown, MD
For those who have wondered what Albas are like here is a little presentation that gives you a good overview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=axCyxu8ZCGU

Ron

_________________
Ron
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalms 118:24


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
I suppose you all are going to think I've lost my mind, but what began as a desire to get myself a Kerry Songbird, which then turned into a possibility of getting an Overton Bb, has turned into a horse (whistle that is) of a totally different color.
When I was checking out Doc's website trying to decide whether or not to go for the Bb Overton my intewrest was piqued by the Reyburn Low F in Brass & Maple. I listened to the sound clip of it, thought awhile and ordered it. Why a Low F? Simply because I loved the sound and decided I wantedit! And I also ordered a Freeman Tweaked Generation Nickel Bb. andI emailed Doc asking if he ever came across a Burke Composite Low G would he please let me know. I used to have one which I dearly loved but it was lost with the rest of my collection last June. Oh WhoA is me
:D


_________________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 am
Posts: 232
larrym wrote:
the Reyburn Low F in Brass & Maple. I listened to the sound clip of it, thought awhile and ordered it. Why a Low F? Simply because I loved the sound and decided I wantedit! :D


_________________________

Larry


Ah ha, the best reason for buying any whistle. ''I want it.'' No Hmmmm... about it.

_________________
Hmmmmm....... Just had a thought.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 211
Location: Lumberton, NJ
You're so right about that, Tommy. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:


____________________________

Larry

_________________
"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." - Isaiah 26:4 NIV

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 491
RonKiley wrote:
For those who have wondered what Albas are like here is a little presentation that gives you a good overview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=axCyxu8ZCGU

Ron


The low whistle in the start of that clip sounds wonderful. I wonder if any effects were added to that recording?


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Germantown, MD
I believe there is some reverb added. I have played that whistle and it sounds just like that minus the reverb and it is considerably cheaper than most of the others. I do not have the low D but I do have an F. It is a wonderful sound when I get it right.

_________________
Ron
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalms 118:24


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am
Posts: 639
Location: California
shadoes wrote:
RonKiley wrote:
For those who have wondered what Albas are like here is a little presentation that gives you a good overview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=axCyxu8ZCGU

Ron


The low whistle in the start of that clip sounds wonderful. I wonder if any effects were added to that recording?

Every Alba I have ever played had a wonderful sound.

_________________
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
William Butler Yeats


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Germantown, MD
I agree with Blachawk. I have played Stacey's low C, Low D standard, and Low D Vibe. I own the Low F and Hi D Q1. They were all super. They were much better than I am. I intend to get the Low D someday.

_________________
Ron
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalms 118:24


 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group