Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 am 

Gradually I'm rebuilding my whistle collection. Well, not so gradually actually - I've already 8 here with me now with 5 more coming in the not-so-distant future. I'm considering now a Kerry Songbird and was curious whether anyone here might own one or might have played one and if so could you tell me your opinion of the whistle? Also, should I order directly from Phil Hardy or another source? Thanks in advance for any/every one's help.

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Kerry Songbird
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:24 am 

Overton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:49 pm 

I have listened to them and they sound wonderful, although I have not played one. jrc plays Chieftains.

Like Tommy I'd also prefer an Overton to a Chieftain but I realise that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:12 pm 

I had an Overton once upon a time and loved it. Now I was thinking about the Kerry just to see the difference but now after both you and Tommy voicing your thoughts.... woe is me, decisions, decisions....

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

I have a Cheiftain low d that I've grown into - didn't like it much at first, but we're OK now.
I have nothing to compare it to, though. I like the sound of every Overton I've heard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm 

larrym wrote:
I had an Overton once upon a time and loved it. Now I was thinking about the Kerry just to see the difference but now after both you and Tommy voicing your thoughts.... woe is me, decisions, decisions....

Larry

Hmmmm.... OK OK here is the way it really is. I have an Overton low D, and an old
chieftain low C. I would not take anything for either of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm 

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a low D in either make - the finger stretch is just too tough for these aging digits of mine.
Now, to get an Overton soprano D I just go to thei website and email Goldie?

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 pm 

larrym wrote:
Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a low D in either make - the finger stretch is just too tough for these aging digits of mine.
Now, to get an Overton soprano D I just go to thei website and email Goldie?

Larry

Not if you are all right with a non tunable one. With the dollar to euro exchanged, shipping alone will be more than $45. But Doc Jones has a used one here (scroll down the page):
http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/products.php?pw=1

Doc is great to deal with and offers a money back guarantee.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 am 

Thanks for the tip, Blackhawk, but alas, by the time I read your post and went to the website the Copeland was marked as sold :(
You are spot on about Doc, though. When he says "whistles for those who don't want to wait" he certainly means it. I've gotten a Reyburn and a Black Diamond from him and they both arrived within three days of placing my order.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 pm 

Larry,

Tell Doc you're looking for one. He told me once, 'if you're looking for something and you don't see it, just ask.' Sometimes, he has one that he hasn't listed yet. It's worth checking into.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 am 

Thanks, Lyn, I'll give that a shot!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:29 am 

Larry, here's another idea...I play mostly by myself, and these days I play mostly non Irish music, so I rarely play D whistles unless they are called for at church. I mostly play Bnat, Bb, A and low G because I like the sound better. And on that same website Doc still has Overtons available in both C and Bb. If you don't need a D for public playing, those are good deals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:59 am 

I noticed that, Blackhawk, and was thinking about maybe getting a Bb. Thanks for the "prodding"!!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Larry, here's another idea...I play mostly by myself, and these days I play mostly non Irish music, so I rarely play D whistles unless they are called for at church. I mostly play Bnat, Bb, A and low G because I like the sound better. And on that same website Doc still has Overtons available in both C and Bb. If you don't need a D for public playing, those are good deals.

Interesting! I very rarely play a D or C and instead play almost exclusively B, A and F whistles (all Overtons of course) and the B is played probably 80% of my practice time. I have no great longing for other whistles these days. One day I'll get Susato G# and F# for the church whistle bag but there is no rush.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:19 am 

Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Interesting! I very rarely play a D or C and instead play almost exclusively B, A and F whistles (all Overtons of course) and the B is played probably 80% of my practice time. I have no great longing for other whistles these days. One day I'll get Susato G# and F# for the church whistle bag but there is no rush.
Adrian, is your B a Bnat or a Bb?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:09 pm 

It is a B not a Bb. There is very rarely a need to write Bnat instead of B just as there is no need to write Dnat instead of D.

Before I had my Overtons the whistle I played the most for a rich sound was the Susato B.

Which B do you play? Abell?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 pm 

Adrian wrote:
It is a B not a Bb. There is very rarely a need to write Bnat instead of B just as there is no need to write Dnat instead of D.

Before I had my Overtons the whistle I played the most for a rich sound was the Susato B.

Which B do you play? Abell?

No, it's a Humphrey.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:16 pm 

For those who have wondered what Albas are like here is a little presentation that gives you a good overview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=axCyxu8ZCGU

Ron

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:54 am 

I suppose you all are going to think I've lost my mind, but what began as a desire to get myself a Kerry Songbird, which then turned into a possibility of getting an Overton Bb, has turned into a horse (whistle that is) of a totally different color.
When I was checking out Doc's website trying to decide whether or not to go for the Bb Overton my intewrest was piqued by the Reyburn Low F in Brass & Maple. I listened to the sound clip of it, thought awhile and ordered it. Why a Low F? Simply because I loved the sound and decided I wantedit! And I also ordered a Freeman Tweaked Generation Nickel Bb. andI emailed Doc asking if he ever came across a Burke Composite Low G would he please let me know. I used to have one which I dearly loved but it was lost with the rest of my collection last June. Oh WhoA is me
:D

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 am 

larrym wrote:
the Reyburn Low F in Brass & Maple. I listened to the sound clip of it, thought awhile and ordered it. Why a Low F? Simply because I loved the sound and decided I wantedit! :D

Larry

Ah ha, the best reason for buying any whistle. ''I want it.'' No Hmmmm... about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 am 

You're so right about that, Tommy. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

RonKiley wrote:
For those who have wondered what Albas are like here is a little presentation that gives you a good overview.

Ron

The low whistle in the start of that clip sounds wonderful. I wonder if any effects were added to that recording?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm 

I believe there is some reverb added. I have played that whistle and it sounds just like that minus the reverb and it is considerably cheaper than most of the others. I do not have the low D but I do have an F. It is a wonderful sound when I get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 pm 

shadoes wrote:
RonKiley wrote:

Ron

The low whistle in the start of that clip sounds wonderful. I wonder if any effects were added to that recording?

Every Alba I have ever played had a wonderful sound.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:08 pm 

I agree with Blachawk. I have played Stacey's low C, Low D standard, and Low D Vibe. I own the Low F and Hi D Q1. They were all super. They were much better than I am. I intend to get the Low D someday.