Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Computer trouble again!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:19 pm 

My computer screen goes completely white! The only way to escape it is to unplug it, then after a few seconds, plug it back in. Has anyone ever had this happen to their computer? Around the beginning of December, we had it back and forth to Circuit City 3 or 4 times, in about 2 weeks. They said they found nothing wrong with the harddrive and perhaps it was an application. It ran fine for about 2 weeks. Now it's doing it again! :x I'm going to have to bring it back to Circuit City. If you don't see me on the forum for a while, it's because it's gone to be fixed again.

Post subject: Re: Computer trouble again!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

sounds like a video issue to me. Does it happen only in a single application or can it happen anytime? Check your video card connection. Make sure it is plugged solidly into the socket on the motherboard and check the cable connection to your monitor. If you have a second monitor you might try plugging that in and seeing if the trouble reoccurs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm 

Lyn D wrote:
If you don't see me on the forum for a while, it's because it's gone to be fixed again.

Don't worry, I have your phone number.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:52 am 

Shadoes,

By single application, you mean does it only happen when I, ie. go to a certain website or do the same procedure, like save something? I'm pretty sure It happens any time. Now, I'm not really great with computers, but the video card is inside the hard drive, right? I don't know what it looks like, but I'll try to check every connection in there. I'll do it as soon as I can, and I'll let you know. Thank you, Shadoes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Admin

The video card is in the CPU, as is the hard drive. They are two separate items. Open the CPU and look for the plug that connects to the monitor - that will be the video card.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
The video card is in the CPU, as is the hard drive. They are two separate items. Open the CPU and look for the plug that connects to the monitor - that will be the video card.

umm..this is incorrect. The Video card, harddrive, and CPU are all parts mounted on the motherboard of the computer which is inside the Case. But the rest is essentially correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:29 am 
Site Admin

case... cpu ... whichever... same beast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm 

O.K. guys,

:-k .........Are you both saying the same thing here?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Are you confused yet? NO???? Then my work here is UNFINISHED!!! MUUUUUUAHHHAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Seriously ... the video card, hard drive and all the other goodies in your computer case/cpu are connected to the motherboard, either directly or by a ribbon cable. That's how they 'talk' to each other. The entire unit in my experience is called a cpu - the metal box that surrounds the components is the case. Basically, yes, we're using two terms for the same item.

Have you never seen 'Tron'?!? :mrgreen:

Having just Googled CPU and feeling terribly sheepish, please let me add that Shadoes is absolutely correct. CPU is what I would have called a 'processor', but I would have been WRONG. My terminolgy is not correct, but again I think we're both on the same functional wavelength

Sorry Lyn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:18 pm 

You know, it doesn't take much to confuse me with computer jargon, even when you both are saying the same thing. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Actually you would be correct to call it a processor since the P in CPU stands for processor :) Or rather processing :)

ANYWAY :)

We are in effect talking about the same thing. Open the case and make sure that the video card is in its socket completely. As JRC said you can tell which card it is by tracing the monitor cable to it if need be.

If the card is in tightly then make sure the cable is connected fully to the card and that the cable is connected to the monitor fully IF the cable doesn't directly attach to the monitor. I have had monitors that had the same plug on both ends :)

One other thing that occurs to me that could cause this is to much heat on CPU. if the system is getting to hot you can experience all sorts of weirdness.

On a side note Tron is one of my fav movies :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:15 pm 

BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE COMPUTER BEFORE OPENING THE CASE.

I just wanted to say this to prevent any problems that could happen with the system on.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:48 pm 

Always possible that the video is integrated into the motherboard. In that case, if it's the video that's causing the problem, you could try to install a cheap video card and see if that fixed it. (But only if you're relatively certain that the video is the problem.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:05 pm 

Hi guys,

I haven't tried anything yet. I thought I'd tell you a few things first.
When I got it back from Circuit City, the 4th (and last) time, it ran for about 2 weeks without going white. Since New Year Day week, it's been doing it 2 or 3 times a day. My computer is normally on from roughly, 7:30am (every day) and is sometimes on until 11:00pm to 1:00am. Last evening, I shut it off about 9:45pm and it hasn't gone white yet today. :-$ ........ I don't want it to hear me.
I think I'm going to try to not have it on so long (I'm....already....having.......
withdrawals) and see if this works, before I go opening up the...the....oh yeah, the case, the hard drive, the CPU..... :lol: :lol: :lol: For example, lets say the computer in on for 10 hrs., and I'm doing stuff for, most of that time, vs. let's say, half of that time? Is it having that computer on for a long time, whether I'm doing stuff or not; or is it how much stuff I do on it?
What do you think?

Lyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:42 pm 

Windows comes with many bugs as standard features, one reason (cost is #1, Linux is free for the download) that I run Linux.

I leave my box on 24/7 (I have DSL) and just turn off my monitor.

In the US Navy, the techs said electronic stuff lasts longer when they stay warmed up.

Left on, the components don't warm up and cool down, which stresses the solder joints on the motherboard and cards, and cause the plugs to work out of their sockets.

The service center should have done the following, but many of them don't really know anything about basic electronics.

I would try opening the case (turn off power and ground yourself by touching a ground such as plumbing or the third wire of your power plug), unplugging and replugging everything to make sure the cables and cards are plugged in firmly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

CPU use increases as you use the machine, but Windows has stuff running in the background all the time.

Could be malware or something like that too ... I'd download Adaware personal and RegScrub and run those and see if it helps.

jrc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 am 

Hi guys,

Well, I shut my computer down about 10:30 last evening. It did not white out yesterday.... =D> ....This morning, before I turned it on, I opened it up and made sure the video card and every little plug in there was in securely. There was just one I pushed in about, barely, 1/16" more. So, we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.........
better yet, say a prayer! :thumbsup:

Lyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:34 am 

You probably found the problem =D>

What flavor of Windows? If it's Windows XP here are some settings you might want to try.

To better secure your computer and keep it running better and faster, you can turn off a lot of stuff that you don't need to be running. Windows has a bunch of TSR (terminate but stay resident) stuff that eats resources.

See these:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Configurations

Start-up applications, do you really need all of them?

Also, I recommend a different virus scanner than the Windows version such as AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, as well as adware and spybot cleaning programs.

Take your pick here:

The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities

More tweaks:
Tweak Windows XP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yes if one of the cards was not set properly in the slot you probably found the issue. Or at least part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 pm 

FancyPiper,

I have Windows XP. I checked out the things you recommended, and I wouldn't attempt any of it because I'm not that computer savvy.

Shadoes,

The video card was plugged in fine, it was one of the plugs.

Thanks guys..........time will tell, if all is well........or not.

Lyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Lyn D wrote:
FancyPiper,

I have Windows XP. I checked out the things you recommended, and I wouldn't attempt any of it because I'm not that computer savvy.

Shadoes,

The video card was plugged in fine, it was one of the plugs.

Thanks guys..........time will tell, if all is well........or not.

Lyn

Still could have been the problem actually. Symptoms are not always indicative of the solution. Might not be. but then it could be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 am 
Site Admin

It's a computer; it doesn't MAKE sense. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Even if it wasn't THE problem, likely it was A problem. Nice going Lyn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:20 am 

Lyn D wrote:
FancyPiper,

Well, at least you do know how to install programs? It's just a matter of clicking and answering some questions.

Please install the Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail client. IE and OE are very insecure and I doubt that Microsoft will ever be able to secure them.

Don't use Internet Explorer for anything except for Windows update.

It is easy to install another virus scanner and the adware and spyware remover programs.

Then go to the control panel security center and turn off Microsoft's virus scanner.

HTH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:30 pm 

Well, guys.....

The computer whited out last evening, 3 times, right in the middle of me deleting the old Norton Security and trying to download the upgrade. :shock: But I did finally get it done. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to bring it back to Circuit City. I'll see what the next couple of days bring.

Lyn