Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Re: Hector the Hero
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 pm 

DonHen wrote:
So, Off to California is my fastest song I can play halfway decent. Whats the story on that?

'Off to California' is a hornpipe which means it is an English style dance tune rather than the melody to a song. I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Just done - here you go:

http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?mode=s ... g_id=12177

I gotta go - I'll figure out how to do this song posting thing better soon, I promise. For now, I'm in a hurry!!

Blessings

jrc

Right-click to download

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, this is excruciating. I can't get ezfolk to work on my relatively new PC. I just haven't installed the right "whatever" yet to play that format. Same goes with the older tunes Keith posted. I'm anxious to play them all at school tomorrow.

Interesting, Keith, your thinking of a lullaby when you hear this tune. I've had the Mick and Gary version in my head for as long as I've known the tune, but the original has now completely overtaken it. My mind wants to take the original tune and make it just a tad more lyrical.

My husband fixed me up a nice music/prayer room a couple of months ago (he's the decorator). I can go there now and not drive him crazy. Yesterday I was in there playing the old Hector the Hero repeatedly, and came out to see him trying to watch a video in the next room. :P He won't fess up--I think he actually wanted to be close to where the music was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:28 pm 

jrc wrote:
Just done - here you go:

http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?mode=s ... g_id=12177

I gotta go - I'll figure out how to do this song posting thing better soon, I promise. For now, I'm in a hurry!!

Blessings

jrc

It's in the upload folder, but I can't get the correct url for the player - rats!!

I went to EZfolk to listen. Very nice, Jim! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Jim, that's super nice. Very well-interpreted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

=D> Fantastic, jrc!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys ... it's a very moving story and a great tune... thanks for posting it Connie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 am 

Khl,

Where can you get a Joanie Madden songbook? I have looked around on the internet to no avail. I have 3 of her CD's. I would love to play along and I do but some of the tunes I can't tell what key of whistle she is using.

Paulette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 am 

I usually just grab whistles (I have everything except for an Eb whistle) until I find out which one I need. The highest whistle she plays is an F.

If you check with the CDDB (CD database), I think the whistle keys are listed.

For Windows, I recommend Winamp as your media player. Put the CD in and query the database.

I thought the liner notes had them listed as well, but my memory isn't the best in the world.

If you have the track number/title, someone probably knows what whistle she plays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Wikipedia, on General McDonald:

Quote:
A Government Commission, which sat in Colombo, Ceylon, released a report on the Macdonald tragedy on the 29th June 1903. The report stated that:

"In reference to the grave charges made against the late Sir Hector Macdonald, we, the appointed and undersigned Commissioners, individually and collectively declare on oath that, after the most careful, minute, and exhaustive inquiry and investigation of the whole circumstances and facts connected with the sudden and unexpected death of the late Sir Hector Macdonald, unanimously and unmistakably find absolutely no reason or crime whatsoever which would create feelings such as would determine suicide, in preference to conviction of any crime affecting the moral and irreproachable character of so brave, so fearless, so glorious and unparalleled a hero: and we firmly believe the cause which gave rise to the inhuman and cruel suggestions of crime were prompted through vulgar feelings of spite and jealousy in his rising to such a high rank of distinction in the British Army: and, while we have taken the most reliable and trustworthy evidence from every accessible and conceivable source, have without hesitation come to the conclusion that there is not visible the slightest particle of truth in foundation of any crime, and we find the late Sir Hector Macdonald has been cruelly assassinated by vile and slandering tongues. While honourably acquitting the late Sir Hector Macdonald of any charge whatsoever, we cannot but deplore the sad circumstances of the case that have fallen so disastrously on One whom we have found innocent of any crime attributed to him".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 am 

Really fine job, Jim! That is definitely a keeper. :D

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Larry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 am 

Mermaid wrote:
Khl,
Where can you get a Joanie Madden songbook? I have looked around on the internet to no avail. I have 3 of her CD's. I would love to play along and I do but some of the tunes I can't tell what key of whistle she is using.
Paulette

This thread from chiff and fipple will have the information: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
If you look through all of pastorkeith's (no relation) posts you can find the address and eventually the email address to order the book. It's really a good collection and put together nicely.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 am 

Lovely rendition JRC. I need to investigate this ezfolk business.
May I ask which whistle you played for this?
Just for the fun of taking a guess, it sounds like my Mack whistle perhaps in G ?
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Admin

TC wrote:
Lovely rendition JRC. I need to investigate this ezfolk business.
May I ask which whistle you played for this?
Just for the fun of taking a guess, it sounds like my Mack whistle perhaps in G ?
Tom

Thanks Tom ... it's a Cheiftain Low D.

EzFolk is a cool place .. but PWA is my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:53 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Interesting, Keith, your thinking of a lullaby when you hear this tune. I've had the Mick and Gary version in my head for as long as I've known the tune, but the original has now completely overtaken it. My mind wants to take the original tune and make it just a tad more lyrical.

On further thought about what I meant by lullaby and what you probably mean by more lyrical, I'd guess what I'm thinking of would be more similar to what you describe. I certainly wouldn't want it to sound like Brahms' lullaby. I have in mind a kind of tune a guy with a nice baritone voice might hum softly, but resonantly, as he slowly dances around the kitchen with a toddler in his arms. (I realize that description is as clear as mud also. ;) )

JRC: Nice playing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks mate :D !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Here's something interesting:

I gave my class the assignment of working it up as a different style. They named a number of song styles, which I wrote down, and they voted on which one they wanted to make it fit.

Sad
Happy
Jig
Anthem
Rock anthem
Classical music
Pop

Jig got the most votes. (It might help to understand that some students needed an explanation of jig, so I played a Riverdance video clip. All eyes got really big, then when I asked for votes, every hand went up.)

So I guess we'll see what this song sounds like in 6/8 time. We'll try not to decimate it too much. We're also going to write new words for it.

I still stand by my lyrical interpretation, and will try to play it before the jig gets too heavily in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:33 pm 

jrc wrote:
Wikipedia, on General McDonald:

Quote:
A Government Commission, which sat in Colombo, Ceylon, released a report on the Macdonald tragedy on the 29th June 1903. The report stated that:

"In reference to the grave charges made against the late Sir Hector Macdonald, we, the appointed and undersigned Commissioners, individually and collectively declare on oath that, after the most careful, minute, and exhaustive inquiry and investigation of the whole circumstances and facts connected with the sudden and unexpected death of the late Sir Hector Macdonald, unanimously and unmistakably find absolutely no reason or crime whatsoever which would create feelings such as would determine suicide, in preference to conviction of any crime affecting the moral and irreproachable character of so brave, so fearless, so glorious and unparalleled a hero: and we firmly believe the cause which gave rise to the inhuman and cruel suggestions of crime were prompted through vulgar feelings of spite and jealousy in his rising to such a high rank of distinction in the British Army: and, while we have taken the most reliable and trustworthy evidence from every accessible and conceivable source, have without hesitation come to the conclusion that there is not visible the slightest particle of truth in foundation of any crime, and we find the late Sir Hector Macdonald has been cruelly assassinated by vile and slandering tongues. While honourably acquitting the late Sir Hector Macdonald of any charge whatsoever, we cannot but deplore the sad circumstances of the case that have fallen so disastrously on One whom we have found innocent of any crime attributed to him".

I would not take British official statements at face value. I hope the Wiki quote is true but we Brits are very good at covering things up at official levels. It would have been quite shameful if our hero was a homosexual in the army (even these days) and so we would expect an official cover up. Whatever the truth is it is sad he was persecuted to the point that he felt he had to take his own life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Covering up is not particular to Brits ... on this side of the pond it's "plausible deniability".

It is interesting, and refreshing, that the official post highlighted his mistreatment specifically.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:02 pm 

OH Thank you, Thank you! Keith!

I sent an email to the lady that did the Joanie Madden tunebook. I feel like it is Christmas again! I hope she emails me back. I am so pumped! \:D/

Paulette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

"We cannot confirm or deny that at this time." My brother-in-law learned this statement early on in his law school first year. We spent a whole Christmas break listening to him say "We cannot confirm or deny that at this time." :roll:

Covering up is indeed big here, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:08 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

I don't think we can actually confirm or deny that at this time. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

I don't think we can actually confirm or deny that at this time. ;)

Oy vey .... there's one in every crowd :mrgreen: !

And frankly... I'm happy you're here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 am 

whats the whistle................lovely