Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Abell whistle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm 

I stumbled on this looking around for Christian Whistle videos and was blown away. If that is what an Abell whistle sounds like, I am in Love with it. Watch this and weep. I did, not only for the beauty of it, it also touched my heart . I love you Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLDuiAzajU

Paulette

Post subject: Re: Abell whistle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 pm 

That is certainly beautiful, Paulette, thanks for for posting it. That sure looks like an Abell whistle, but I've never seen one with a decal (or whatever that is on the top of the tube). Then again, I've only seen two Abells, both of which were/are mine. :)

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 am 
Site Admin

That's some nice playing. Thanks for the link, Paulette. Seems pretty close to the Abell sound (in the proper hands) but has a lot of reverb added to the whistle part, IMO.

Larry, I think that it's not a decal. My Abell has pretty wide bands of silver at the tuning slide, with the logo stamped on it, in about that spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:06 am 

You're right about that, Judy! I didn't think of getting mine out and looking at it. Must've been the way the light was shining on it in the video that made me think decal. #-o

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:10 am 

Wonder what the chances of finding a pre-owned Abell? Probably pretty slim I would say.
New whistle prices are out of sight for me unless I sell a big portion of my collection.
Guess it has become an O'Riordan alternative if you can't find one of those. I will have to be patient for a used one, one of these days. My husband is already eyeing my purchases. I am waiting for a Humphrey Low G to come in. Got to get in control for a while. :laughing:

Paulette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Of your husband, or your purchases? Maybe he wants to play too?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:00 am 

Of my purchases. He has his own madness. He buys workshop tools. :laughing:
At least mine doesn't cost as much as his. Musically he has 5 trombones. He plays in the orchestra with me. I have 4 guitars. I guess I'm not as bad as he is but I just can't pay $400.00 for a whistle. I will wait. :-k

Paulette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 am 

Well, the choice is yours, of course, but with the rebates coming from the US Government you could tell yourself and your husband the Abell is on them!!! ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

The bad thing about looking for a pre-owned Abell is that the price isn't that much lower. The one I bought was $310.00. At least the Abell prices aren't more for the pre-owned than what the maker asks like with O'Riordans. Those prices are crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:31 pm 

Just think!

The ultimate WHOA. A Payment Plan!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like buying a Car!

Paulette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 pm 

I hadn't seen that Chris Abell had raised the prices. Oh, well. I'm actually pretty set for these.

Abells are fine whistles. Occasionally you can find second hand Abells that sell for a fairly reasonable price, though Judy's right that usually they still cost a bit. I'd even bet that if you were to post a "I'd like to buy or trade for an Abell" that you might find a response or two. Another "payment plan" would be to set a little aside, bit by bit, and have it ready to bid when a good used one comes up for sale.

I really wonder, by the way, if Chris Abell (or, say, Michael Copeland) stopped making whistles whether his would sell for as much as the O'Riordans. The O'Riordans are great whistles but I think they carry a mystique about them because Joanie Madden plays them and so everybody wants one. Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 pm 

I think you've brought up an interesting and valid point, Kevin, about the mystique of the O'Riordans.

Larry