Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Whistle technique question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 am 

I have a problem with an over amount of spit especially with my two burkes. I used that stuff to put in them to help in that. (Don't remember the name of it, I'm at work) but I can play then the whistle stops on me. Is it worse on brass fipples? I see these professionals play forever. Where does their spit go? I have also seen people play out the side of the mouth. Is that what can help on that? The Kenny G thing. Or am I just a sloppy whistler? :laughing:

Can someone help me on this?

Thanks,
Paulette

Post subject: Re: Whistle technique question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Admin

AHHHHH... the spit vs condensation topic!!!

'Dupinol' is the substance your looking for, and you can find it in dish detergent. Use a very weak solution, just a drop or two in some water may help. but that won't stop the water, just help clear the whistle.

The nature of the 'fluid' seems to be a subject of some discussion. To my way of thinking, warm breath in a cold tube - relatively speaking - equals condensation. In setting up my EWI, I have experience a big dose of the other fluid - saliva- and it looks and acts nothing like what drips slightly form the whistle. Saliva is a very viscous fluid, condensation isn't.

Brass instruments have provisions for this, as I'm sure you're aware since your husband is a trombone player. Some larger saxes -bari and bass notably - also have 'spit valves'. I don't think saliva is going to come out of those tiny holes, frankly. I don't mean to be graphic, but it's too thick. And if you've ever seen one cleared, the fluid is quite watery.

Bottom line - don't 'sweat' it :mrgreen: . Just don't hold it over anything that might be affected by moisture - sheet music, piano keys, hubby. Occasionally covering fipple windway and blowing into the whistle clear mine well enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 am 

Hi ! I wish I knew how to link to another forum topic. If you'll scroll down the shop-talk page about a dozen topics or so, look for "Drooling Sweetones". Besides finding some cool new names for bands, you'll see that this is common and find some ways we can deal with the problem. Certain whistle materials do make this problem worse. The weather seems to be another big factor and yes it happens to everyone.
One method I've seen "pro" whistlers use is a little gross but works well. What you need to do is clear the fipple at the same time you're taking an in- breath. It takes a bit of practice to do at speed but it will clear the moisture and keep the whistle at full volume.
Hope this helps.
Oh and be careful if you use the "turn whistle upside-down and shake method". I recently sent the head of a precious wood whistle flying across the room because I wasn't careful.
:oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Site Admin

"Drooling Sweetones:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2528

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:18 am 

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to suck it up. :laughing: :laughing:

Paulette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I guess I will have to suck it up.

:laughing: :salute:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 am 

Mermaid wrote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to suck it up. :laughing: :laughing:

Paulette

:shock: #-o

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am 

Hi Paulette,

I have the same problem. :? I haven't found a solution yet, but if and when I do, I'll be glad to share it with you.

Lyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Admin

I refuse to ever "suck it up." I just can't. I just -- can't.

The mild detergent trick will get your pennywhistle to last longer before it waters up. Syns are particularly bad, but if you soak the mouthpiece in mild deterg. water, allow to dry and wipe the outside clean, then you can get through a song or so before you have to blow it out.

If I can get through a song without having to "suck it up," then I can blow the water out the end after it's over, then that's good enough for me. Suck it up? Not THIS chick. I don't THINK so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Suck it up? Not THIS chick. I don't THINK so.

Do I sense a note of distaste? :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe just a LEEETLE bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not doing it either - I'm covering the windway and blowing it clear.

If everything goes as planned, I think I can hit Mrs. Beamish from the platform if she's in her usual seat :mrgreen: !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:20 pm 

When I first started playing, my mouth watered up a lot. Not knowing how to blow out the mouthpiece by covering the windway, I shook it out, which made bystanders nervous. But the more I played, the more my body understood that the whistle was not "food." So I "dried up" a lot. Also, I learned to just cover the mouthpiece with my lips, not hold it in past my lips. I hope those suggestions help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm 

As has been already said, the only way to clear a recorder or whistle while playing is to suck slightly when taking a breath.

Using waxed dental floss to get a waxed surface in the windway helps condensate to bead and clear on its own. The wax method lasts longer than the detergent option but both options are work well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:19 pm 

:shock: It isn't spit, it's music juice!

The next time you start to wash dishes, wash out the whistle first.

Rinse, then dip the fipple in the dishwater, drain and let dry.

Has anyone tried Rainex windshield washer fluid?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
:shock: It isn't spit, it's music juice!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good stuff Piper!!! ... music juice ... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:38 pm 

If anyone does decide to 'draw in' the fluid of unknown origins during an amplified performance, please turn away from the microphone first. (From one who has experience in not turning away from the microphone.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 am 

sticky subject, but here's my two cents....

If you think about spit while you are playing you're gonna produce it... I know it's lke the story of the guy who showed the king how to make gold and told him the secret was not to think about the little red monkey (anyone hear that story?) anyway the king couldn't make gold cause he always remembered not to think about the little red monkey. ... point is the body reacts to the mind and extra saliva is a nervous function of the body.. I know I'm a pastor and when you are nervous about public speaking someitmes your mouth waters too much. So my advice is to own your playing, know you sound awesome and a little dampness won't stop you. I still have to clear some moisture when I play my whistle recording in the studio, but I think that's cause I lean forward and down into the mic... gravity.

I tried that soapy thing once and forgot and sucked and got detergent mouth.... yeah not fun... the waxy floss might work, but then you are narrowing your windway slightly which might make the porblem worse? If you play laying on your back and you still have moisture then at least you could know if it was spit or condensation... spit won't go up! I've gotten pretty speedy at covering the window hole on the mothpiece and blowing real hard... then it doesn't make a super loud noise to blow out the windway. I am sure that could hurt in a microphone!

Cheers!
Nick

whistles that don't have much condensation problems (at least not for me)
http://www.ethnicwind.com