Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Whistle friendly Christian songs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:37 pm 

How about we make a list? I can't think of all that many, outside of Christmas carols. The only ones I know are:

1: Amazing Grace
2: I have decided to follow Jesus
3: This is the Day that the Lord has made
4: Wayfaring Stranger
5: In Christ Alone
6: Jesus Loves me, this I know
7: the chorus of Awesome God
8: We are one in the Spirit
9: Be Thou my Vision

I'd like to learn more. I may not know the songs you know, though, since I've only been back in church for 5 years. If they go way back, I may need to be guided to CDs with the songs on them.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Check out Mark's website "Whistle and Squeak" for a few additional choices. Love the "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus", "Whispering Hope" & "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Couple more of my favorites are "How Great Thou Art" and "In the Garden" ... but the CD versions of those two songs that I listen to would be by George Beverly Shea or Tennessee Ernie Ford - not exactly celtic ... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:32 am 

Judy K wrote:
Check out Mark's website "Whistle and Squeak" for a few additional choices. Love the "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus", "Whispering Hope" & "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Couple more of my favorites are "How Great Thou Art" and "In the Garden" ... but the CD versions of those two songs that I listen to would be by George Beverly Shea or Tennessee Ernie Ford - not exactly celtic ... :mrgreen:

That's not a problem, as most of the ones I mentioned aren't Celtic either. But thanks for the reference, Judy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:36 am 

Judy K wrote:
or Tennessee Ernie Ford - not exactly celtic ... :mrgreen:

I had forgotten about him...just ordered a CD of hymns by him, thanks to you, Judy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:53 am 
Site Admin

:D You're welcome, D. Gotta love Tennessee Ernie. Nobody should ever sing "Sixteen Tons" but him .... ;) (OK, so that's a secular song -- still love it!)

... just noticed that Mark added a new song last week "It Is Well With My Soul" -- nice! Thanks, Mark! :)

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:01 am 

Well, Judy, you're quite an influence tonight...I had previously thought that How Great Thou Art wasn't a whistle friendly song, but after your post, I started working on it, and within just a few minutes, I had it down! Now I have a new worship song to play! So, more thanks to you, Judy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:54 am 

In addition to those mentioned above, I've found these fairly enjoyable on Whistle:

Kingsfold -- a number of hymns follow this tune
"Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded" (tune in Bach's Matthew Passion)
What Woundrous Love
The King of Love My Shepard is
My Sheperd Will Supply My Need
Lead, Kindly Light
Abide with me, fast falls the eventide
Sing Praise to God, who reigns above
Morning has Broken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:03 am 

khl wrote:
In addition to those mentioned above, I've found these fairly enjoyable on Whistle:

What Woundrous Love
Lead, Kindly Light
Morning has Broken

Man, I don't know any of those except Morning Has Broken, and I don't even think of it as a Christian song. Are those others pretty common worship songs with the rest of you all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:43 am 
Site Admin

Here's another link, Blackhawk : http://www.hymnsite.com/ Didn't find any of Keith's list there, but the website does have midis and scores. A quick run through some of my old favorites that were fairly whistle-friendly:

"Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee"
"Leaning of the Everlasting Arms"
"Nearer, My God, To Thee"
"My Hope is Built"

One trick I've use (with my complete lack of the music theory background that grace the majority here ... someone else will be able to explain why this works -- ;) ) if a song you like shows 4 flats on the score, play it with 3 sharps instead of the flats, for easier whistle fingerings. Likewise 5 flats can flip to 2 sharps.

Transposing music into whistle-friendly keys is the very thing that led to my downloading Finale Notepad.

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 am 

Judy K wrote:
Here's another link, Blackhawk : http://www.hymnsite.com/ Didn't find any of Keith's list there, but the website does have midis and scores. A quick run through some of my old favorites that were fairly whistle-friendly:

"Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee"
"Leaning of the Everlasting Arms"
"Nearer, My God, To Thee"
"My Hope is Built"

One trick I've use (with my complete lack of the music theory background that grace the majority here ... someone else will be able to explain why this works -- ;) ) if a song you like shows 4 flats on the score, play it with 3 sharps instead of the flats, for easier whistle fingerings. Likewise 5 flats can flip to 2 sharps.

Transposing music into whistle-friendly keys is the very thing that led to my downloading Finale Notepad.

Judy

Thanks, Judy! That's an interesting bit of knowledge about the 4 flats/3 sharps thing. And thanks for the hymnsite. :) And I think I'll finally get around to downloading finale!

Post subject: songs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:10 am 

I am not going to go back and read all but here are my favorites.

How Great Are You Lord
Sanctuary
Soon and Very Soon
Jesus - What a Beautiful Name
Jesus Name Above All Names
Glorify Thy Name
Oh, How I love Jesus
We Bring The Sacrifice of Praise
I'll Fly Away
Lamb of God
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Only Trust Him
Seek Ye First
I have Decided to Follow Jesus
Holy Ground
Holy Spirit Come
Softly and Tenderlly
Glory to His Name
Lord I'm Coming Home
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Come and See
How Great Are You Lord
More Precious than Silver

These all work and are easy to play ... and then most of the old hymns are as well .... I only know a few from memory but if I have the music ... can usually play the new ones ... sooner or later.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:04 am 

Well everybody has named a lot of the ones I play. But here are a few more.

Abide With Me
Be Still My Soul
Rock of ages (I start on A in D)
Give Me That Old Time Religion
What A Friend We have In Jesus

and many others

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:18 am 

RonKiley wrote:
Well everybody has named a lot of the ones I play. But here are a few more.

Abide With Me
Be Still My Soul
Rock of ages (I start on A in D)
Give Me That Old Time Religion
What A Friend We have In Jesus

and many others

Thanks, Ron, I know 3 of those! Now I can begin working from memory, to learn them by ear.

Post subject: Re: songs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:20 am 

Jim Wright wrote:

How Great Are You Lord
Sanctuary
Soon and Very Soon
Glorify Thy Name
Oh, How I love Jesus
I'll Fly Away
Lamb of God
Only Trust Him
Seek Ye First
Holy Ground
Holy Spirit Come
Softly and Tenderlly
Glory to His Name
Lord I'm Coming Home
Come and See
How Great Are You Lord

These all work and are easy to play ... and then most of the old hymns are as well .... I only know a few from memory but if I have the music ... can usually play the new ones ... sooner or later.

Jim

Man, hard as it may be to believe, I only know 2 out of all of those, except for the ones I mentioned in my first post. I can't believe there are so many I haven't heard of. I think I need to come go to church with you for a few months and learn these!

Post subject: Re: songs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

How Great Are You Lord
Sanctuary
Soon and Very Soon
Glorify Thy Name
Oh, How I love Jesus
I'll Fly Away
Lamb of God
Only Trust Him
Seek Ye First
Holy Ground
Holy Spirit Come
Softly and Tenderlly
Glory to His Name
Lord I'm Coming Home
Come and See
How Great Are You Lord

Jim

Man, hard as it may be to believe, I only know 2 out of all of those, except for the ones I mentioned in my first post. I can't believe there are so many I haven't heard of. I think I need to come go to church with you for a few months and learn these!

We would let you in .... :mrgreen: And, if you want a double dose ... we can go to an 830 am service at a church near here and you will really get blessed. Might even have you dancing like Les ... :laughing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:52 am 

Nobody dances like Les :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and nobody makes their hymn list longer like Jim than he does by naming the same hymn more than once....unless,of course Jim, there are TWO VERSIONS of How Great You are Lord........but we won't let you get away with it, lad...the list is longer than most of ours anyway without a little 'fiddle' on your part....and no doubt you will take up the fiddle as well soon...you certainly seem to be doing great on your whistles ......and you certainly seem to have 'fiddle' potential............bless you my brother....Les. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NO NO NO NO NO NO....DON'T GO AND TELL ME NOW THAT THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:59 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
khl wrote:

What Woundrous Love
Lead, Kindly Light
Morning has Broken

Man, I don't know any of those except Morning Has Broken, and I don't even think of it as a Christian song. Are those others pretty common worship songs with the rest of you all?

I've found these in various hymnals (only a few are in my church's book). This site will have most any folks mention and has notes, midis, etc.: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:29 am 

Revles wrote:
Nobody dances like Les :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and nobody makes their hymn list longer like Jim than he does by naming the same hymn more than once....unless,of course Jim, there are TWO VERSIONS of How Great You are Lord........but we won't let you get away with it, lad...the list is longer than most of ours anyway without a little 'fiddle' on your part....and no doubt you will take up the fiddle as well soon...you certainly seem to be doing great on your whistles ......and you certainly seem to have 'fiddle' potential............bless you my brother....Les. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NO NO NO NO NO NO....DON'T GO AND TELL ME NOW THAT THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well ... I will let you go on the " dancing like Les " bit ... after all I was told to respect my "elders" :mrgreen: As for the fiddle ... I am thinking I might do well at it .. looks like you are using an old "saw" .. and I am fairly handy with one of those!

I listed the songs I love to play ... and may have listed one more than once ... I seldom look back at what I wrote .. wouldn't remember .. that's for sure :D Isn't it a great thing that the hymns and choruses are usually easy to play? Gives an old guy like me a break! And, notice I didn't mention that I play them "well" .. I said I played them. Your mileage may vary.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:30 am 

Shall We Gather at the River

O Christ the same = Londerry Air or Danny Boy

Praise And Thanksgiving = Morning has Broken

Sometimes I like to play ''Joyful, Joyful we Adore Thee'' very slow with longer notes like an air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:02 pm 

IMO the vast majority of Christian hymns and songs can be made whistle friendly if arranged and played in a whistle friendly way. It makes an enormous difference if you can tastefully ornament the tune perhaps using classical as well as Irish techniques. This can turn a tune that might otherwise be plain and not very interesting into something pretty and delightful.

Great to learn what you guys like to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Days of Elijah is another new one. We do that at my church, and at first I thought I'd never get the whistle intro--it's pretty fast. I finally got it, but had to modify it some.

Other than that, everybody's about covered my favorites. O Sacred Head Now Wounded is eerie on the whistle--or on anything, for that matter. It's in an old, odd mode -- Phrygian, maybe? It starts and ends on F on the D whistle--third degree. Modal gurus?

Nuther thing--has anyone seen the movie Trip To Bountiful? The soundtrack has Softly and Tenderly done with recorder, I believe, as well as a touching vocal track by Cynthia Clawson. I highly recommend that movie, if just to hear that song weaving its way through the tale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Also, how do you get How Great Thou Art into two octaves? Or if not, what whistle are you using to keep from going deaf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:14 pm 

Judy K wrote:
:D You're welcome, D. Gotta love Tennessee Ernie. Nobody should ever sing "Sixteen Tons" but him .... ;) (OK, so that's a secular song -- still love it!)

... just noticed that Mark added a new song last week "It Is Well With My Soul" -- nice! Thanks, Mark! :)

Judy

Yeah .. Ernie could sing 16 tons .. or anything else for that matter ..he had a great voice.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:53 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
O Sacred Head Now Wounded is eerie on the whistle--or on anything, for that matter.

I've never heard of this one, Connie. Can you suggest a CD where I can hear it? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:27 pm 

I'm not Connie - and it's not a CD - but http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/s/osacredh.htm will give you the general flavor of the hymn.