Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Snow, glorious snow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

So I was just recovering from my final class today, looking out the window, when....glory be! The snow finally hit!

The camera went out under cover of coat, and here's what I got:

Hedge

Hedge in context

At the end of the schoolyard I took this one:

In context:

This may not look like much now, but a few months ago this field netted someone a small fortune given this past year's corn prices.

I must be the only person I know who's fascinated by the vastness of flat country.

I CANNOT get snow pictures without at least one with the flash on. Look at those wild little flakes!

And there was just enough time to sit down with a cup of hot coffee and edit photos before school let out. :love:

Post subject: Re: Snow, glorious snow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

And just as school let out, I got this one:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm 

Nice pictures Connie. When I was at Normal last summer the corn was so high it would interfere with cell phone coverage. I was amazed. It is not the vastness of the flatland there that impresses me. It is the soil, the dark black soil that says plant a seed in me and stand back.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:54 pm 

Brrrrrrrrr!!! I like them all but think I like the last ... best! Let's see ... two trips out in the snow just to take pictures ...naaaah ... you ain't hooked .. not much!!! :thumbsup: :laughing:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

RonKiley wrote:
When I was at Normal last summer the corn was so high it would interfere with cell phone coverage. I was amazed. It is not the vastness of the flatland there that impresses me. It is the soil, the dark black soil that says plant a seed in me and stand back.

That soil over by Bloomington/Normal is considered to be some of the richest soil on the planet. No exaggeration. Apparently a glacier barreled through there a very long time ago and dumped a vast richness of organic material. How long ago would depend on your world view. Actually, no, how long ago is a fixed fact. Many people may differ on it, but it's a fact.

At any rate, I'll bet the backyard gardeners have it made over there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:41 pm 

Great pictures, Connie! And here I sit on the east coast still waiting for a decent snow this winter. :(

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
How long ago would depend on your world view. Actually, no, how long ago is a fixed fact. Many people may differ on it, but it's a fact.

Have you ever considered that God created a fully-grown man when he made Adam? Upon inspection, Adam would have appeared to be in his early 20's on his first day of existence.

Why couldn't God have created a fully-grown universe -- one that would appear to be millions of years old on its first day? Just as Adam could not have survived as an infant, perhaps it is the same with the universe; it had to be created already mature -- just so we could see the stars, for one thing.

Anyway, I like the snowflakes photo because it looks like several flakes are engaging their warp drive. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 pm 

Even in HAWAII there's snow on the tops of the tallest summits: http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7799743

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Why couldn't God have created a fully-grown universe -- one that would appear to be millions of years old on its first day? Just as Adam could not have survived as an infant, perhaps it is the same with the universe; it had to be created already mature -- just so we could see the stars, for one thing.

God could do anything He wanted. Adam and Eve were fully formed, possibly with a complete lack of belly buttons--why would they need them?

Soil is made of organic material and minerals and such. God had to plant some sort of organic starter soil to build His plant system on, and millennia of dead plants have mulched things (and animals have fertilized things) from there. So, yeah, in order for the first plants to thrive, God had to fully form the soil as if there had already been plants and animals dying there for a while.

As for glaciers, they certainly exist today, and I have no trouble with evidence of other glaciers in the past. My personal speculation, based entirely on a complete lack of scientific knowledge, is that the post flood world resulted in things like glaciers forming as waters receded. Or maybe God just decided that Bloomington/Normal (Beyond Normal) should be some of the richest soil on earth.

Quote:
Anyway, I like the snowflakes photo because it looks like several flakes are engaging their warp drive. :D

And those snowflakes--yes, like popcorn ships going into warp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 pm 

Why get hung up on how old the earth is ... God made it .. who cares how old it is? All I know is that I am just a wee bit younger than Adam! :laughing:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 pm 

Wow, beautiful pix, Connie!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Why get hung up on how old the earth is ... God made it .. who cares how old it is? All I know is that I am just a wee bit younger than Adam! :laughing:

Oh, don't be modest, Jim! C'mon, what was Adam really like?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:33 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

Oh, don't be modest, Jim! C'mon, what was Adam really like?

Scary looking guy .. took me a long time to get use to seeing him running around in dried out fig leaves! :laughing:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:38 am 
Site Admin

I don't have a horse in the age of earth race. The Hebrew, from what I hear, does seem to indicate a rather quick beginning, whenever it was. I'm sure the earth has changed quite a lot since then, though. Erosion like the canyons, and earth formation like the volcanoes, and I'm sure a global flood had a profound influence on what we see today. I read in a little paper my child brings home that a canyon was recently created when a dam was released and looser, softer rock and soil came away from harder rock. It was a small canyon created by a small flood. Would take a grand flood to create a grand canyon. And even still, God is the Creator behind it all.

I just figured the rich soil around here coming from glaciers fell under the category of erosion/soil formation since creation. However, like all ignorant folks, and like all scientists, I wasn't there. God was. His account in Genesis is interesting to read, and Kitty's right that I shouldn't pass off my speculation as fact. Her speculation is different and equally thought-provoking.

The kids are learning in third grade how snowflakes are formed in the atmosphere. I have no problem with God using science to create His art. Every artist wants a good medium. God created science, too. Snowflakes are grand and glorious little works of art, whatever the medium.

God of wonders beyond our galaxy...You are holy!

Which makes for some fun photography.