Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Devotions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 am 

This is a spot by the road one mile out of our town. We watched while this chap opened the window in this shrine, lit a candle and sang from the church liturgy for 30 minutes. Christian brothers and sisters have different devotional styles all over the world. Not everyone enjoys candles and liturgy in worship but some of us do!

Post subject: Re: Devotions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:32 pm 

Shrines are new to me .... I have read about them in the Bible but not in a favorable context. I am not putting them down .. I just don't understand them. Could you explain their purpose and was the liturgy in the shrine or did he bring it with him? Is the liturgy what I would call a prayer book or the order of service or exactly what?

Nice pic as was the one for "remember them"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Old Testament patriarchs were forever building piles of rocks to say, "Here's where the Lord met me and revealed Himself to me in such and such a way." I would imagine the reminder would draw them closer to God as they remembered the closeness.

I believe I can connect with God anywhere I am, but a little prayer room is nice because you can remember how God met with you there this morning or yesterday or at such and such a time. I would imagine a shrine at best would be a reminder of how we can connect with God. As long as one does not worship the shrine or the candles, I like the reminder. The sacraments are also a reminder, as is the favorite Bible one may clutch when going through the loss of a loved one.

We have our shrines too. I appreciate them, but I have to remember to worship God, not the shrine.

It's a touching photograph. It's nice in b&w.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
The Old Testament patriarchs were forever building piles of rocks to say, "Here's where the Lord met me and revealed Himself to me in such and such a way." I would imagine the reminder would draw them closer to God as they remembered the closeness.

I believe I can connect with God anywhere I am, but a little prayer room is nice because you can remember how God met with you there this morning or yesterday or at such and such a time. I would imagine a shrine at best would be a reminder of how we can connect with God. As long as one does not worship the shrine or the candles, I like the reminder. The sacraments are also a reminder, as is the favorite Bible one may clutch when going through the loss of a loved one.

We have our shrines too. I appreciate them, but I have to remember to worship God, not the shrine.

It's a touching photograph. It's nice in b&w.

What she said, all counts. Love the picture! One of my most memorable moments with God happened in something like that "shrine"- a tiny little roadside chapel, I don't even remember where. Bitty little thing, couldn't seat more than four people, but I was there and dad was tehre and God was there and... yeah. It's good stuff. Praise God.

I think physical reminders of God's presence are important- the highest one being the person of Jesus Himself, of course. Romans 1:20 (I think) and all that. I keep my dad's bike pedal in my room to remind me of my crash on it, for instance, and it's a powerful reminder of God's Providence. But I have to admit it is hard to remember that God is what's being worshipped, not the thing itself- sometimes I gotta put it outta my sight, to remind myself of that. But yeah.

Web Page: http://yeruvan.googlepages.com
Blog: http://chiasticsarcast.livejournal.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:08 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Shrines are new to me .... I have read about them in the Bible but not in a favorable context. I am not putting them down .. I just don't understand them. Could you explain their purpose and was the liturgy in the shrine or did he bring it with him? Is the liturgy what I would call a prayer book or the order of service or exactly what?

Nice pic as was the one for "remember them"

Jim
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. The shrine is a place of prayer. One thing they do is to remind people to take time out of their busy day to be quiet and pray. The liturgy is a set form of prayer and and this chap brought his 'prayer book' with him. Christian churches are sometimes divided into liturgical and non-liturgical ones. In Greek the word also means work or service and everyday we are saying in Greek that something does not work 'dhen litergia'.