Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Tipple Low D Advice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:37 am 

OK, Thanks to Ned I now own a very attractive Tipple Low D Flute. That little round hole is daunting to look at. I think I know how to purse my lips and direct a stream of air across the hole, but this early in the game I have to move and try all kinds of things to get a very weak sound. My months with the whistle make holding and covering the holes feel OK, but what tips can you flute players give me for making progress. I am the type who picks up an instrument many times a day for mini practices. Any ideas or web training resources would be much appreciated.

Don in AZ

Post subject: Re: Tipple Low D Advice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:19 am 

My flute-playing daughter told me two things about playing my pvc flute:

1. You have to have a feel for it.

2. You ain't got it.

Regards, Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:56 am 
Site Admin

I'm a beginner too, with the same flute--Tipple low D.

I'm finding that playing while looking in the mirror helps. I don't know why. Also, try stretching out your lower lip (grimace), and your upper lip should make the whole little opening of your lips look like a little football. Wider than it is tall.

If I'm wrong, somebody stop me quick before I steer Don wrong. This is not stuff from formal lessons, just flutists trying to help me out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 pm 

I found that the upper lip must be soft to make the proper shape. If your lips are dry most of the time. Wash them and immediately apply some chapstick. Not the cheap stuff. The kind with aloe works best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:27 pm 

Connie has already given some of the best advice on mouth shape.

If your flute has a detachable head joint then it is good to play just that while you are working on your embouchure (lip shape etc) and trying to get a good tone rather than hold the entire flute. Playing in front of a mirror is invaluable. Experiment a lot e.g. with rolling the flute in and out, with lip shape and tension and also how and where you direct your air stream. Practice and experimentation in front of a mirror will be your best tutor.

Here is a lesson that will help you a lot from one of the world's greatest flutists.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:03 am 

Great googely moogely! I have never made my embouchure like Galway does it the video. I'm going to have to try that when it gets a little later and everybody else is out of bed...

Anyway, from teaching my daughter flute, I would say practicing on just the head joint until you get a good tone is important, because until you figure out what you're doing with your lips, you tend to blow too hard. I guess it's part of the "more must be better" school of thought. Anyway, after a few minutes, it can make you a little lightheaded.

The other thing I would add is don't be discouraged by initial troubles. The whole embouchure thing is unforgettable. Once you know it, you never forget it. Then you can even blow an octave on a glass beer/soda bottle! Even after not playing my flute for 10 years, the embouchure came right back. (Then the muscles in my face almost immediately told me that they would need more practice if I meant to keep it up!)

"May I never be so engrossed with time that I neglect the things of eternity; thus may I not only live but grow towards Thee." - from The Valley of Vision

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:18 pm 

Great Google e, Moogle e, theres a phrase I wont soon forget, is it a recognition of the great internet search engine and the great pioneer music synthesizer?!!!!!

Thanks for great advice, here comes mirror and flute head practice.

Kelly, are you going to let your daughter steal your dream like that???? I am a firm believer in learning new things all your life.....and also in the joy of being stuck in mediocre, I would rather be a mediocre guitar player than never to have picked one up. I have had my sons hammered dulcimer with me for two weeks while he is out of town, and boy do I not sound like Dizzy Dulcimer, but boy it makes me want to keep hammering. Its hammer time.
:sunny2: \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:25 pm 

One good way to get your lips in the right place on the flute is to place the bottom edge of your bottom lip on the bottom edge of the of the embouchure hole; then, as you blow gently, (with opening previously described) rotate the flute outward/inward, or direct the stream of air higher or lower, until you get the best sound. I think my daughter, Lisa, who played flute for 8 years, told me about lining up the lip.

When you line up the embouchure hole with the tone holes, they are supposed to be even. Some people, however, myself included, find it easier to play with the emb. hole lined up more towards themselves, however, the top of the emb. hole should not go past the center of the tone hole. Actually, you can play in what ever way you feel comportable. The above, I'm told, is the proper position.

Last edited by Lyn D on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:11 pm 

DonHen wrote:
Great Google e, Moogle e, theres a phrase I wont soon forget, is it a recognition of the great internet search engine and the great pioneer music synthesizer?!!!!!

Kelly, are you going to let your daughter steal your dream like that???? I am a firm believer in learning new things all your life.....and also in the joy of being stuck in mediocre, I would rather be a mediocre guitar player than never to have picked one up. I have had my sons hammered dulcimer with me for two weeks while he is out of town, and boy do I not sound like Dizzy Dulcimer, but boy it makes me want to keep hammering. Its hammer time.

Well, I don't know...I...I suppose that part of it is laziness, since I can already play whistle...
And how does one get into the upper octave with a flute? Do the silver ones have extra keys for that, and the Irish ones don't?
I am still interested because flute is a lower sound and would be easier on my ears, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:47 am 

kelly wrote:
DonHen wrote:

Well, I don't know...I...I suppose that part of it is laziness, since I can already play whistle...
And how does one get into the upper octave with a flute? Do the silver ones have extra keys for that, and the Irish ones don't?
I am still interested because flute is a lower sound and would be easier on my ears, I think.

In actual fact every single note on a flute has a very slightly altered embouchure from its bottom note right up to the 4th octave notes. This is necessary in order to play every note perfectly in tune (look at the Galway video). In time everything becomes automatic and you don't think about what you are doing.

There are no octave keys on flutes.

Irish flute is a misnomer as it is a style of playing not an actual instrument. The wooden flute is basically of the same style as was played in Europe and America in the 19th century. Before this time there is actually some question as to whether or not the flute was used much in Irish music.

To play a note an octave higher on a flute don't just blow harder as although that will cause the octave jump the note will be breathy, unfocused, louder and sharp. Also it is not necessary to roll the flute in. All you need to do to play high note is to increase the speed of the air stream by making the lip gap smaller. To get the lip gap smaller it is better to pull the top lip down rather than push the bottom lip up. Easy peasy - well, you'll just need a bit of practice in front of a mirror.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I noticed that change of embouchure thing. I thought it was maybe me being a newbie, but I guess not. Thank you for mentioning these things, Adrian. Helping me too.