Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: songs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Man, hard as it may be to believe, I only know 2 out of all of those, except for the ones I mentioned in my first post. I can't believe there are so many I haven't heard of. I think I need to come go to church with you for a few months and learn these!

We would let you in .... :mrgreen: And, if you want a double dose ... we can go to an 830 am service at a church near here and you will really get blessed. Might even have you dancing like Les ... :laughing:

Man, that sounds like fun, Jim! How far are you from Midland? That's my home town. I know I asked you that before but I can't remember what you said.

Post subject: got one
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:35 pm 

Right close .. by Texas standards .. about 9-10 hrs LOL!!!

Post subject: Re: got one
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:53 pm 

Jim Wright wrote:
Right close .. by Texas standards .. about 9-10 hrs LOL!!!

How cool is that!! We'll be neighbors when I retire! (8 more years)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:54 pm 

jimwasson wrote:
I'm not Connie - and it's not a CD - but http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/s/osacredh.htm will give you the general flavor of the hymn.

Thanks, Jim! And truthfully, I never thought you looked much like Connie. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:56 pm 

jimwasson wrote:
I'm not Connie - and it's not a CD - but http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/s/osacredh.htm will give you the general flavor of the hymn.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, Jim, but I don't get a recording of any kind, just the lyrics.

Ah, but edited to say I did a search on O Sacred Head and found some cool versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:02 pm 

A MIDI should play if you're using IE or other background-music compatible browsers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:28 pm 

Kristos wrote:
A MIDI should play if you're using IE or other background-music compatible browsers.

I think it's because I'm at work and they have blocked all streaming music, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:12 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
O Sacred Head Now Wounded is eerie on the whistle--or on anything, for that matter.

I've never heard of this one, Connie. Can you suggest a CD where I can hear it? Thanks!

I found an interesting version by a Laurra Fitzgerald of Colorado.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/laurra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Oh! I love that rock beat with that song.

Point of Reference: She's got the melody right, but as far as I know, it's usually done almost as a chant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:16 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

Point of Reference: She's got the melody right, but as far as I know, it's usually done almost as a chant.

Connie, can you point me to a CD that has the "right" or traditional interpretation? One that you in particular find haunting? I love haunting music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:09 pm 

Here are two more that I played on whistle with our praise band.
Shall We Gather at the River, and What a Fellowship What a joy Divine (Leaning on the Everlasting Arms). They always have to tell me to slow down when playing these. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:02 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

Connie, can you point me to a CD that has the "right" or traditional interpretation? One that you in particular find haunting? I love haunting music.

Here's a clip of the traditional setting on Disc 3 track 2:
sound clip

There are recordings, of course, in English, but this recording is one of the best around. Maybe not to everybody's taste, but I love listening to Bach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:02 pm 

Tommy wrote:
Here are two more that I played on whistle with our praise band.
Shall We Gather at the River, and What a Fellowship What a joy Divine (Leaning on the Everlasting Arms). They always have to tell me to slow down when playing these. :lol:

Ah, I know those two from my childhood! Thanks Tommy, I'll start working on learning them by ear. Since last night I have worked out I'll Fly Away, also from my childhood.

I'm really enjoying finding out about all these songs that I didn't think worked on whistles before now.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:15 pm 

khl wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

Here's a clip of the traditional setting on Disc 3 track 2:
sound clip

There are recordings, of course, in English, but this recording is one of the best around. Maybe not to everybody's taste, but I love listening to Bach.

Keith, I just now saw this, I overlooked it at first. Thank you for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:12 pm 

Blackhawk,

Thank you for starting this topic.

As I read through the posts, I pulled out one of my whistles and started playing several of the hymns. Some of them I know by heart: Amazing Grace, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee; others I played by ear, getting most of the notes right; and one "Shall We Gather at the River" which morphed into some other hymn I can't remember the name of. :oops:

It was a blessed time of worship for me. Thanks.

allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
Also, how do you get How Great Thou Art into two octaves? Or if not, what whistle are you using to keep from going deaf?

Connie, I play "How Great Thou Art" on a C whistle, starting on a G (xxo ooo) with the highest note played is F' (xxx ooo), with the only odd note being an Ab/G# (x-o ooo, "-" representing a half-hole note). But this is all played from 'memory', not music .... might have missed a note or so. The lower whistle helps retain the hearing! ;)

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:45 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Also, how do you get How Great Thou Art into two octaves? Or if not, what whistle are you using to keep from going deaf?

Connie, I start the tune on A (on a D whistle), which makes the highest note a second octave G, which isn't too awful high.

allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:06 am 

allen wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

Connie, I start the tune on A (on a D whistle), which makes the highest note a second octave G, which isn't too awful high.

allen

That's how I play it, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:06 am 

allen wrote:
Blackhawk,

Thank you for starting this topic.

As I read through the posts, I pulled out one of my whistles and started playing several of the hymns. Some of them I know by heart: Amazing Grace, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee; others I played by ear, getting most of the notes right; and one "Shall We Gather at the River" which morphed into some other hymn I can't remember the name of. :oops:

It was a blessed time of worship for me. Thanks.

allen

My pleasure, Allen, believe me. And thank YOU. It's fun, isn't it? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:59 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Other than that, everybody's about covered my favorites. O Sacred Head Now Wounded is eerie on the whistle--or on anything, for that matter. It's in an old, odd mode -- Phrygian, maybe? It starts and ends on F on the D whistle--third degree. Modal gurus?

Yes, Phrygian. Yesterday I was trying to write some tunes in that mode. It IS odd! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
allen wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

allen

Me too (i.e. in the key of D)! The tune is a wonderful old Swedish folk song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
Nuther thing--has anyone seen the movie Trip To Bountiful? The soundtrack has Softly and Tenderly done with recorder, I believe, as well as a touching vocal track by Cynthia Clawson. I highly recommend that movie, if just to hear that song weaving its way through the tale.

Hey Connie,

I thought the movie was interesting, but the soundtrack was spectacular. :)

Cynthia Clawson has been one of my long-time favorites.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
allen wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

allen

Hmmm .... that's the way I play it, too -- just on a C whistle. :roll:

:P

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 pm 

Judy K wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
allen wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

allen

Judy

In the key of C? ;) I like to play it on a B whistle, not to be awkward but because it sounds nice to me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:08 am 

Adrian wrote:
Judy K wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
allen wrote:
ConnieS wrote:

allen

Judy

In the key of C? ;) I like to play it on a B whistle, not to be awkward but because it sounds nice to me. :D

Actually I played it on a C up until just recently when I got my Gen Bb, and now I play it on that $6 whistle more than any other...for now. But C or Bb, the fingering is the same. Or low F or low G or...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next