Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: "Re-vamped" Hoover G
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:45 am 

I had written a long version of this story, only to accidentally delete it :oops: , so this will be shorter and to the point. I purchased a Cherry low G from Mack back in November and was very pleased. Played nicely for a few months until one day, clearing the fipple using the "turn upside down and shake vigorously" method, I sent the mouthpiece bouncing across my basement. When I told Mack about the issue his response was classic, and I quote: "Send the whistle to the manufacturer who has flight insurance as well as flood." He may have felt sorry for me as I was basically asking which type of super-glue to use to repair the thing.
Again, long story short, yesterday it arrived back in Maryland! We had decided that a plastic mouthpiece might be a good idea for me. Although it no longer has the sleek look of an all wood whistle, I find the dark cherry body with a black mouthpiece to be a quite handsome two-toned look. And the tone is exceptional, in fact better and louder than before. I would not classify this as a quiet whistle although I can breathe into it and still produce a nice tone. To make it squawk I really had to lean into it. It's an easy and smooth player right up to the second octave G.
The whole transaction was exceptional. I would recommend Mack Hoover's whistles to anyone because the craftsmanship is first rate. The more important reason however, would be dealing with a true gentleman. His primary aim was to satisfy me, the customer, and in doing so to put a quality product into my hands. I may be preaching to the choir on this one, but dealing with a christian guy who shares my faith was an added bonus. Now my goal is to continue praising God with this voice Mack has placed in my hands.
Oh, I know the question is coming, so relax everybody I'm already working on a sound clip. :lol:

Post subject: Re: "Re-vamped" Hoover G
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:55 pm 

Another happy customer! Nice one Mack. =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

TC wrote:
Oh, I know the question is coming, so relax everybody I'm already working on a sound clip.

Now how did he know that? :-k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:08 am 

Mack is the winner here. Now I feel WhOA coming on after playing a couple of wooden whistles that would really whistle! I would love to get my hands on a wooden soprano and low Eb whistle to see what I would like best.

I just took a quick whistle inventory and I have more of his whistles than any other makers, including the Clarke original high D and Generation brass tubes (these have a blacktopped Bb and Whitecaps on the C and D). I have the aluminum low E and F, and the PVC B and C#. I did have an aluminum low G as well, but it got passed on to a suspected anon gift giver. :whistle2:

I end up playing the PVC B and the Blacktop Bb when playing for my own pleasure.

The only "defect" I can find in his design is in the pitch of the C natural. I am a piper, so I want my whistles to play in tune with my/others pipes and the Cnat is a "blue" or flattened note, but still in tune with the drones. Think D mixolydian mode :-#

This tuning is easily adjusted by putting a small lump of poster putty inside of the tube, just above the top hole. Adjust the putty's shape, size and positioning until the Cnat (you may alter notes for an octave, 4th and 5th away from the objective note some as well, so check them) falls into the tuning you want. To reverse, just remove poster putty. :coffee: