Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: low D - warm up problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:11 pm 

Hi all-
Slight problem with a great new whistle, I thought maybe someone here would have some experience or suggestions to share. I recently obtained my first low D, it's an Alba and sounds lovely. That is when it's all warmed up, hence my problem last night. I used it for our opening song however I got distracted with a few last minute issues just before mass started and didn't have the chance to keep it warmed up. Even though I tried to warm the fipple end in my hand for a minute, when I started playing, the first few notes were nothing but a high pitched wisp of air. :shock: Luckily there were enough musicians so no one noticed this but me. Once it got rolling the sound was great and I could really cut loose (which I haven't been able to do in my basement at home).
I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks for this issue. I'll admit I need a lot more practice on this one, just wanted to see if anyone had any offerings on taming an aluminum monster like this.
Tom

Post subject: Re: low D - warm up problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Cover the windway - is that the right word? - on the mouthpiece and blow air into it. You can silently put warm air through the whistle that way. That seems to help me sometimes. If you use your right hand to cover the whole, you can get air through a larger portion of the whistle by covering the left-hand holes, as if playing a 'G' on the whistle ... does that make any sense at all?

:-k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:10 pm 

OK, that would be the window and the 3 upper holes, correct? Sounds like a good suggestion; I'll give it a a go. Thanks, JRC !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

...yeah... sorry TC... that should read 'hole' not 'whole' .... but hey, if you can make that happen, the piper's grip shouldn't be an issue :mrgreen: . and yes, the HOLES closest to the window/windway thingie ... where the air comes out ... somebody HEP ME!!!!

I gotta start really READING my posts ](*,) . #-o

It's been a rough couple of weeks .... :laughing:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:38 pm 

I also have Alba whistles. I think they are great. Yes just blow into the whistle with the window covered so it doesn't make any sound then cover as many holes as you can while you are blowing. If you are wearing a coat keep the whistle inside next to your body while you are waiting. Do you have the standard or Q1 model? The Q1 is also called the low D vibe.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 pm 

I've been known to put a low D up the sleeve of my long sleeve shirt, or even underneath my shirt tucked into the pant waistband. (These are for when I'm playing something else immediately prior to the whistle; otherwise, the method already suggested works fine.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:08 am 

Warm it up as already suggested by blowing gently through the mouthpiece with the window covered. ALSO use some anti-condense fluid for recorders, this works like magic at preventing clogging when the instrument is cold. A couple of drops of very dilute washing-up soap will also work.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:18 pm 

I usually cover all the fingerholes and stick the fipple up past the blade into my mouth and blow about 6 lungs full of air through my whistles pitched low A on down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

TC, know it's about 2 weeks after the question was asked .... but I've seen suggestions that use a heating pad on low, if you have a place for it. Another thought would be to wrap one of the disposable hand warmers around the top with a rubber band while waiting to play. That would be easy to pop off and stick in a pocket when ready. Fair warning, I've not tried either method personally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:48 am 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! There's some real ideas for me to try there. I haven't played out again with the low D, but I have been practicing every day (well almost) and it's getting a bit easier. This whistle (ALba Vibe low D) can really sing. It doesn't take a huge amount of breath as I first thought, what it really needs is a firm and steady airstream. I can see why some folks may not like it. It's not what I'd call an easy player, but with some practice the tone seems very rewarding, to my ears anyway. I'm also hoping with the warmer weather on the way that the warm-up won't be so much of a problem. :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:18 pm 

TC wrote:
I'm also hoping with the warmer weather on the way that the warm-up won't be so much of a problem. :sunny:

Unless you have opportunity to play in air conditioning.