Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: New Whistle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:45 pm 

Okay, so I just got my new Low D. As I improve my playing and learn more songs, I want ot play with other instruments- mainly the guitar and/or piano. What whistle would be best for that? I really like the Low F sound, but would a C be better? What do you think?

--Megan

PS- I didn't want to spend money so soon on a new whistle, but my husband is talking me into it- good guy. In October, we get an oil 'dividend' from the state of Alaska, sooooo...........

Post subject: Re: New Whistle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not a pianist, but I think pianists would favor an F or a C. A D shouldn't be a problem for them, though.

A guitarist would play comfortably along with the D whistle or the C whistle. An advanced guitarist would have very little problem playing along with the F. A guitarist with a capo could probably play along to any whistle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 am 

I missed this thread. Did you already get a whistle? If not then I'd suggest the low F for the sheer beauty of those whistles. Listen to an Overton before you buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Adrian! I just ordered A Low F Burke. I liked the way it sounded. It has not been sent yet, but anxiously awaiting......... Okay, my second expensive whistle in less than 6 months! Yikes! Thanks goodness for the Alaska Permanent Fund- it has funded all the fun stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm 

:mrgreen: We are excited for you. But I want someone to pay me for living in Arizona!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:19 am 

Looking forward for a clip of the Burke F. I bet it is a fantastic whistle. I am contemplating buying a Burke G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:31 pm 

Well, I JUST got my new Burke in the mail. I like the sound so far and it is nice because it is the first whistle I have that is really, truly tuneable and also breaks down in to four pieces for travelling. It sounds nice, although the finger holes are ALMOST too big for me. My only complaint at all, really, is that it came with stickers on the whistle, right on the aluminum, so I had to use sticky remover to get the sticky off. Not a big deal- but I do have a pet peave about expensive things getting stickers stuck on them. I'll keep you posted on the sound once I get used to playing it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 pm 

DonHen wrote:
:mrgreen: We are excited for you. But I want someone to pay me for living in Arizona!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you can get payed for living in Arizona but I do understand that you qualify for mental illness disability payments. However ... be sure to have someone else file the claim ... if you can file .. you ain't crazy ... yet. :laughing:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

I thought that was Illinois, Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:22 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
I thought that was Illinois, Jim.

Could be Illinois as well ... you know how it is with those Govt. programs! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I, too, am looking forward to hearing the low F, Megan. Enjoy! Burkes are so nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:56 pm 

Tonight my husband and I took my penny whistles and his bass and played with our pastor on guitar. It sounded great! This was the first time I played any of my whistles with anyone else and I can't believe how nice it sounded and how fun it was! If we keep practicing we should have a pretty good mix of hymns to play on Sundays. I never knew how much fun it was to play together! I've been so shy. Alaskans don't seem to know what a penny whistle is and often tease me when I suggest playing in church. I guess they won't make fun now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:59 am 

Megan S wrote:
Tonight my husband and I took my penny whistles and his bass and played with our pastor on guitar. It sounded great! This was the first time I played any of my whistles with anyone else and I can't believe how nice it sounded and how fun it was! If we keep practicing we should have a pretty good mix of hymns to play on Sundays. I never knew how much fun it was to play together! I've been so shy. Alaskans don't seem to know what a penny whistle is and often tease me when I suggest playing in church. I guess they won't make fun now!

I'm delighted to read this. Well done and keep it up. =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:07 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Megan S wrote:

I'm delighted to read this. Well done and keep it up. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Me, too! You go, girl!!! :thumbsup: =D> =D> :thumbsup:

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am 

In my recent visit with Mike burke at his booth at the Dublin Festival I played them all. I liked the A and C. The F was very nice but I have a nice Alba F. The Eb was also very nice but tend to like Eb. It was a lot of fun.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:46 pm 

Megan, Congratulations!
If the finger holes are "almost too far" on that low F, try some finger stretches. People think I'm insane, but I do them to reach the final hole on my Burke Bb easily. Before playing, take two knuckles of the opposing hand, and put them in between the fingers to be stretched apart (at the middle knuckle). Gently force those fingers apart, keeping your fingertips curled all the way in. Hold for about 20 seconds, and release. Waala! You can now more easily reach the toneholes! The more you do this, the easier it is. Don't push too hard!

Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 am 

I have a Burke Low G that rarely get's played.
I opt to play the the Low G Kerry Pro Chieftain. It may not be quite pitched to a tuner, however... I love the breathiness to it and plays like the Overton.

I would love to have a tunable F Overton someday.
Donno how much I would be playing in the key of F tho.
The only problem with the Overton... is you have to get them good and warmed up to ya.

http://www.myspace.com/eveningroses
http://www.myspace.com/foothillsoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:08 pm 

I just gtot back from the MD Ren Fest. I bought a brass Gen Bb that is just wonderful. It has a very strong low end. It will be great as soon as I get used to the finger spacing. I have a brass and a nickel Gen Bb but neither of them is as good as this one.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:12 am 

RonKiley wrote:
I just gtot back from the MD Ren Fest. I bought a brass Gen Bb that is just wonderful. It has a very strong low end. It will be great as soon as I get used to the finger spacing. I have a brass and a nickel Gen Bb but neither of them is as good as this one.

I have four Gen Bb whistles and they all sound slightly different. They are all great but one is an absolute corker. :thumbsup: