Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Looking for a midi of ....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 am 
Site Admin

.... What Shall I Give To The Child (in the Manger)? Found it in a dulcimer book (Helen Johnson's "Favorite Christmas Carols for the Mountain Dulcimer"), thought about it for the TPE Christmas -- no tempo is given. It would be nice to hear this once before I attempt to ruin it. 8-[

Any one know the song? The only information given on the tab is "Traditional Spanish".

Edited to add ... found one after another hour of looking online. Will still welcome any info, though. :)

Post subject: Re: Looking for a midi of ....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Judy, have you ever heard of PowerTab? (Actually, I should post it in the Toolbox forum.) It's free tabbing software and you can even import tabs if they're formatted in a standard way.

Once you get the song all set up with tempo and such, you click play and the program plays the tab for you. :thumbsup:

Be forewarned: there is a learning curve. But man, is it powerful. You could set it up for a 4-string guitar and then change the tunings to match your dulcimer. (Who knows, there may already be a dulcimer setting, I just haven't looked.)

I use it to make tabs for my guitar class.

http://www.power-tab.net/products.php

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm 

Here's a nice version (orchestrated and with a choir): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGULr3NGhRs
I've actually thought about recording this on whistle. The version of the choir is lovely and both simple and "majestic". I think it can also be done well on the dulcimer. But the video will give you an idea of how the tune goes anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 pm 

Here's a page with a link to a midi. The midi will fit what your looking for well (I think). http://home.pcisys.net/~pwebber/midi_source.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly what I was looking for, Keith. Thanks! Listened to the midi and am half-way through downloading the YouTube. Both are quite different. The basic tune is there but with many variations. The music I have is in the key of D. Would you like a copy? Want to try a collaboration? Please don't decide not to record it just because I might. It would be a great song to have several versions.

Kitty, thanks for the PowerTab link. I'll look into that, although I have TablEdit which does have a dulcimer setting. My problem with the song was that no tempo was given on the tab I had. Since it said it was traditional Spanish, I just wasn't sure how fast it would be normally.

It is wonderful to tap into the great, resourceful minds of PWA! :love:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:24 pm 

Judy K wrote:
Exactly what I was looking for, Keith. Thanks! Listened to the midi and am half-way through downloading the YouTube. Both are quite different. The basic tune is there but with many variations. The music I have is in the key of D. Would you like a copy? Want to try a collaboration? Please don't decide not to record it just because I might. It would be a great song to have several versions.

I'll probably still record it sometime. The question is whether it's this year or next. Lots to do right now at the end of the semester, and we'll be in Israel for half of the month.

Can you send me a copy electronically? Or do you mean through the regular mail?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Israel for half the month? NICE!

I can email a Finale file, but am having trouble downloading Primopdf again for converting to a pdf file. (Trying for the third time right now. :? ) My original setup of that program mysteriously got deleted ... :roll: